Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications. RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications.
Previous

Next
New Post
2/22/2017 3:25 AM

Thanks for the post and the detailed explanations of your work! I am new to this site (as a member, anyways) and am glad that I looked in the forum section! I originally only came here to drool over the gear that these fine people make, but soon realized that there was a forum! I installed the flush cups and mounted a rail on my rifle as well as added my own paint job. Here is a picture of my finished product, thanks again for the guidance!

New Post
2/22/2017 6:23 AM

6.5shooter wrote:

Thanks for the post and the detailed explanations of your work! I am new to this site (as a member, anyways) and am glad that I looked in the forum section! I originally only came here to drool over the gear that these fine people make, but soon realized that there was a forum! I installed the flush cups and mounted a rail on my rifle as well as added my own paint job. Here is a picture of my finished product, thanks again for the guidance!

Wow!  Nice job!  That looks really sharp!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/22/2017 2:32 PM

I have always dug the woodland camo stocks, nicely executed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/22/2017 7:30 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback! Also, thank you for the forum and I look forward to many other conversations! God knows I have been eyeballing the Ute for some time now and I love my kit bag!

New Post
2/22/2017 8:45 PM

What can? And do the BUIS clear the can?

New Post
2/22/2017 9:45 PM

The suppressor is a Silencerco Omega, and without the mirage cover, it does clear the can. However, with the cover, it blocks the iron sight picture.

New Post
7/16/2017 10:57 AM

For you guys using the QD slings, are you using the sling for support in shooting positions or just as a sling? What slings are you using?
I've had my RGS for about a year now with just a regular quick adjusting hunting sling, prior to this thread was planning to get a Ching sling for it but now I'm rethinking that.
I love the ideas you guys are coming up with for the rifle, I'm gonna steal a bunch of them as I'm trying to get it set up for a Randy Cain class later this year.

New Post
7/16/2017 11:28 AM

RSGallien wrote:
For you guys using the QD slings, are you using the sling for support in shooting positions or just as a sling? What slings are you using?
I've had my RGS for about a year now with just a regular quick adjusting hunting sling, prior to this thread was planning to get a Ching sling for it but now I'm rethinking that.
I love the ideas you guys are coming up with for the rifle, I'm gonna steal a bunch of them as I'm trying to get it set up for a Randy Cain class later this year.

Glad you like the mods we're doing!  For me personally, I prefer the V-Tac sling.  I suppose a good bit of that has to do with what I have become accustomed to using from my military past.  I do use mine as a shooting aid for standing mostly,  but also to an extent for kneeling and sitting positions.  I use it a bit different than most, in that I like to route the sling over my firing shoulder, down across my back, and then under my support arm shoulder.  I then can quickly pull it taut when I come up on target, and even rest part of my support forearm on the sling.  That feels pretty stable to me, and also allows me good access for mag reloads or quick transition to my sidearm, if needed.  That's how I run it, and why I like the V-Tac.

Hope that helps!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/16/2017 11:16 PM

alpendrms wrote:
RSGallien wrote:

Glad you like the mods we're doing!  For me personally, I prefer the V-Tac sling.  I suppose a good bit of that has to do with what I have become accustomed to using from my military past. 

RSG, you show up at Cain's Practical Rifle with any sling other than a Ching and you will be awarded the Cheechako Award (head shakes slowly left and right).

Alp, you like a V-Tac 'cause that's what/all you know.  Explain to me how a V-tac will accomplish what Bynum demonstrates here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebybmdXxsb0

The second principal of a proper shooting position, direct from the USMC Sniper Manual, is "muscular relaxation".

Mil-loop (think Camps Perry/Atterbury), the Ching, and Bynum's Tab Gear Sling provide for this, the V-Tac doesn't.  The V-Tac technically isn't really a sling, it's a carry strap.  The earlier Military Loop Slings were both, when non-riflemen officers destroyed rifle-craft and did away with the earlier sling, the name persisted.

New Post
7/17/2017 5:23 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:

Alp, you like a V-Tac 'cause that's what/all you know.  Explain to me how a V-tac will accomplish what Bynum demonstrates here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebybmdXxsb0

The second principal of a proper shooting position, direct from the USMC Sniper Manual, is "muscular relaxation".

Mil-loop (think Camps Perry/Atterbury), the Ching, and Bynum's Tab Gear Sling provide for this, the V-Tac doesn't.  The V-Tac technically isn't really a sling, it's a carry strap.  The earlier Military Loop Slings were both, when non-riflemen officers destroyed rifle-craft and did away with the earlier sling, the name persisted.

TAK.....you assume, incorrectly, that you are in a position to demand things of me.  I do not have to explain anything to you.  Once again...that is the sling I prefer, because it works for me.  I really don't care if that doesn't meet with your approval as to what it can or cannot do.  So, for this one time, I will entertain your tactless demand.  

In short, it is already across my back in the method I previously described and I already have it adjusted well into my shoulder.  I am not using much pressure at all to keep the rifle where I want it.  I can keep it in this position from standing to kneeling, to sitting.  The sling sits taut as a platform against the forearm of my support arm.  It also remains in position through a Point-Post-Sprawl from standing to prone while keeping control of the weapon with the firing hand and into the firing shoulder.  Minor, if any, adjustment is needed once in the new position.  The same method was taught to line unit troops during embeds as an Operational Advisor by myself and many other OAs in IZ and AFG while with AWG.  It works with the V-Tac, the Vickers, and a few other rapid-adjust slings.  End of explanation.  

Are there other ways to achieve similar results with other slings using other techniques?  Yes, of course there are.  Just different methods and techniques.  Some come from the manuals and videos you cite verbatim, others come from practical necessity and employed outside the wire on two-way ranges.

RSGallien, if the Ching Sling is the best one to have for the class you will attend to meet with the instructor's requirements and curriculum, then that is likely the one you ought to get.  Just know that there are other types that work with other methods.  Good luck in the class.

New Post
7/17/2017 8:09 AM

Tactless? Ya think?  Is this the new PC-SF?  Team rooms are now "tactful"?  I'm to address you like a G-chief?

Alp, contact Andy Langlois and order one of his Ching Slings.  Send him an email and give him your height/sleeve length so he can provide the proper length intermeadiate strap.

And no, this isn't a "demand", just an informed suggestion from a SOTIC/Cain Practical Rifle grad.

New Post
7/17/2017 8:25 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:

Tactless? Ya think?  Is this the new PC-SF?  Team rooms are now "tactful"?  I'm to address you like a G-chief?

Alp, contact Andy Langlois and order one of his Ching Slings.  Send him an email and give him your height/sleeve length so he can provide the proper length intermeadiate strap.

And no, this isn't a "demand", just an informed suggestion from a SOTIC/Cain Practical Rifle grad.

I got as thick a hide as anybody....but yep, that's how it comes off...tactless.  Ain't nothing PC about it, and I'm about as non-PC as they come.  You wouldn't really know that, as that you do not actually know me.  Don't presume things.  I never said anything against a Ching Sling or its similar variations, I simply stated what I prefer to use, as per the original question asked in the thread.  There are more than one way to do things.  SOTIC and Cain class grad or not, that does not mean there is only one viable method.  I thought about ratcheting things up and retorting to your snide G-chief BS, but I suppose I'll let it go.

New Post
7/17/2017 9:14 AM

Come on Ken, that Ching sling will be a sweet addition to your mandatory G19. Might even be able to get em in matching colors.

New Post
7/17/2017 9:19 AM

El Mac wrote:
Come on Ken, that Ching sling will be a sweet addition to your mandatory G19. Might even be able to get em in matching colors.

I'm glad to hear you're coming around Mac.  Sea-fom green is now a Glock color as I understand.

New Post
7/17/2017 9:19 AM

TAK, the point is you should be treating everyone on here like a G-Chief no matter who they are. That is just common courtesy and politeness. It has nothing to do with PC, and everything to do with good manners. Sure we all slip up at times, me included, but the fact that I have to continually mention it to you alone, of everyone on here, should tell you something. Also Alpndrms and El Mac, please stop rising to his bait, as you are only feeding the fire.

Now to get past the unfortunately all to often derail. I personally am not a fan of ching slings. I used one for the period leading up to the Cain Class I took, and in the class. I didn't find it faster than other options, I didn't like having to manage the extra center strap, and I am contrary in that I want any sling I use to both provide support and allow me to go hands free. I have used African, or muzzle down on the off shoulder carry, since I started carrying a rifle, and it is great if I have a hand to steady the sling and keep it from slipping off my shoulder, but that is about it for carry. On the other hand a sling that goes cross body, allows me to go completely hands free is what I have found most useful for actual back country travel. I will also say if you decide to get a sling from Andy I would go biothane as I like neither the weight nor bulk of the leather.

Prior to trying the Ching I was raised using a hasty sling, which if your length is adjusted correctly is very very solid as well. I helped a friends son setup his RGS just yesterday with a hasty. Since the Cain class I have primarily been using a VTAC as a Rhodesian, Andy's term, sling, but have been experimenting with other slings since the distance isn't right for all my rifles. At this point I have a hybrid VCAS/Ching on a couple of ARs that was designed by a good friend and is sold by SKD as the Pig Sling. It allows me all the uses of both and due to the materials it is made out of it is a very light and unobtrusive sling. Time will tell if it brings me into the Ching fold. The other sling is from Rifle Craft and is basically a hybdrid of an adjustable cross body and a Rhodesian called the RS2. Both of these slings satisfy my desire to go both hands free with control and also shoot supported.

Personally, I would not modify my rifle with a third swivel until I tried a ching somehow. That is the nice thing about messing with the SKD sling on an AR it is easy to add mounting points and remove them without modifying the rifle which is why I am trying them out there.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/17/2017 9:24 AM

scothill wrote:
TAK, the point is you should be treating everyone on here like a G-Chief no matter who they are. That is just common courtesy and politeness.

I always try to do so, maybe my perception isn't your reality.  Alp, however, has been to Pineland, so he's a bit different, or at least I thought so.

New Post
7/17/2017 9:51 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:
scothill wrote:
TAK, the point is you should be treating everyone on here like a G-Chief no matter who they are. That is just common courtesy and politeness.

I always try to do so, maybe my perception isn't your reality.  Alp, however, has been to Pineland, so he's a bit different, or at least I thought so.

See....this is the stuff Scot is talking about.  In the interest of maintaining good order here, I will not press it.  But from one graduate of Pineland to another, that is what starts trouble.  That's not how things are supposed to go here.

Plus...it takes away from the whole point of the thread, which is to discuss different slings folks are using and what works for them.  I may someday try a different sling, but for now the V-Tac answers the mail for me.  I haven't had a need to use anything else, so that's why I stick with what has already proven itself for me.  The sling that works for me might not work for another guy, but then again it might.  If I use another sling down the road, I might change what I carry, but until that time the V-Tac does what I need it to do.

New Post
7/17/2017 11:07 AM

At one of my first job reviews, the big negative that I was counseled on was the brusque tone of my emails. Apparently the common reaction was that I was either pissed at the person I was emailing, or was just angry all the time. What I thought was just being business like was coming off as rude and/or angry, even to people who knew me and worked in the same office. I didn't double down and say they know better. I instead decide the thing to do was to change the way I wrote emails. I figured that was the professional response. To this day I have that in the back of my mind when I write emails, both professional and personal. In some cases I go to far the other way, but the result is that peoples perception of me based off my emails and other electronic communications does not convey a pissed off or angry person, unless I intend them to. I slip up, but that is part of being human. As I said the fact that it keeps being mentioned to you should be a heads up, that in fact you are no coming across as you intend to. The choice is yours, you can double down and say screw everyone I don't care, and we will continue to have issues, or you can step back and say hey, I am going to work on this so people understand me better. I will tell you right now, taking the time to craft a good post, or email for that matter, takes longer you can't just bust it out and fire it.

A final point, I could care less if you are both Graduates of Pineland U, and yes I know what Pineland is, Alpndrms is not the only one reading your post.

One feedback that we get regularly is that it is refreshing how polite and professional forums is, and how much good information is available. We want to keep it that way.

Now an apology to the OP, but lets get back to discussing slings and and answering HIS question in HIS thread and stop with the juvenile attacks and side tracks.

In short lets just be professional.

If you want to discuss this further start a new thread, further posts not on slings will be deleted.

New Post
7/17/2017 11:46 AM

FWIW - I didn't show up at Randy's class with a Ching, don't like anything but a half hasty, and that's that. In spite of my chinglessness, I became the go to guy to test other people's rifles that "weren't shooting right" (and prove them wrong of course). And when I was handed a Steyr to shoot that did have a ching, I still used it like a half hasty. And shot a 5 shot 1.5 moa group with a fixed 2.5x Leupold at 200 yards. Those Steyrs are nice shooting rifles! Randy is big on results and short on dogma. I don't remember for sure, but I think the top shooters (ex-Gunsite instructors themselves) in that class were using "rhodesian", not Ching.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/18/2017 6:03 PM

I have a SMS sling from SKD on an AR. SKDs pics show it on a bolt gun too. It carries as well as the VCAS slings on other rifles but provides stability when shooting. A couple weeks ago I was shooting it slung from seated out to 400 yards on steel. I need to fine tune the adjustment. I'm planning on getting another one for my MP10.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications. RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications.