Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...SW ShieldSW Shield
Previous

Next
New Post
4/29/2017 9:46 PM

I have seen a lot of good deals on new SW Shields lately. Does anyone have thoughts on the shield as a CCW. I can find all different viewpoints when searching the web!

New Post
4/29/2017 9:48 PM

I have no personal experience with them, but have handled a few that were being carried as backups by a few folk - even though they weren't authorized. They loved them.

New Post
4/30/2017 10:35 AM

With the latest round of Rebate offers, I thought I'd try one since I'd only have $225 in it.

Sadly, it's one of the few guns of decent quality I wasn't able to shoot well. It took A LOT of work to shoot that gun to anything even close to my expectations. And what's worse, I didn't particularly like anything else about the gun enough to make me want to commit to it.
I promptly sold it the same day I initially test fired it.

But, irrespective of my totally subject notions about the Shield, I've been around enough of them to believe they're adequately reliable once a particular gun has been vetted.

You can't buy much these days for $225 so it's a no-brainer not to at least try one on for size.

New Post
5/1/2017 1:17 AM

I've got a friend who has a couple of them, he likes them.  He actually just picked up another one at this clearance price.

I've shot one of his a couple times, they're ok.  Like someone said, a bit hard to shoot at first.  But it IS a small gun.

New Post
5/1/2017 9:04 AM

A buddy and I both bought Shields in 9mm when they first came out. We were happy with the accuracy and reliability. I also liked the grip size and safety in regards to AIWB carry. That said it didn't offer any significant size savings over a G19 while giving up capacity.

It's a good deal and I don't know of anything else that would compete with it at the current prices. I still have mine although the G26 and 43 fill the spot it would occupy for me. 

New Post
5/1/2017 9:55 AM

I wish my Shield were that inexpensive... I paid over $500 for mine. The benefit for me over the Glock is the grip size fits my hand (which is small), as we can't get the Gen 4's in CA, unless you go private party and pay a huge markup over retail.

New Post
5/1/2017 10:36 AM

chorpie wrote:
... as we can't get the Gen 4's in CA, unless you go private party and pay a huge markup over retail.

Trust me on this, you aren't missing a dam* thing. If you have a Gen 3, count yourself lucky.

New Post
5/1/2017 12:42 PM

Some guns don't work for some folks, and frankly any little gun you are going to have to work harder to get acceptable results. Well that depends on what you deem acceptable. In part that is one reason I seldom recommend something below a compact. That being said in my experience the Shield is one of the best in its size range. I typically recommend it for folks with smaller hands. It is thinner than the traditional Gs, but on the 43, but since it is a bit bigger than the 43 I find it a bit easier to shoot due to my bigger hands. All the ones I have had experience with have been reliable, and shot pretty well.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/1/2017 1:05 PM

El Mac wrote:
chorpie wrote:
... as we can't get the Gen 4's in CA, unless you go private party and pay a huge markup over retail.

Trust me on this, you aren't missing a dam* thing. If you have a Gen 3, count yourself lucky.

I don't have one at all. The Gen 3 grip didn't feel comfortable in my hand. Ended up going with an XD instead. 

New Post
5/4/2017 11:06 AM

I can run my shield at 7 yards almost as well as my full size 1911 at 15. Not particularly awesome, but better than nothing. In my experience, the 1911 conceals a little better than a G19 and the shield conceals considerably better than both. I only carry it about once a year when I go somewhere that I'm legally not allowed to carry and I imagine scrutiny to be high.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/4/2017 5:23 PM

I have a 9mm Shield with the Apex D/C trigger kit, and Trijicon HD sights.  While I prefer to carry a P2000SK LEM as my regular CC gun, the single-stack Shield is thin enough that it conceals with some clothing where the HK doesn't.  Mine is pretty accurate, and has been 100% reliable through 1000 or so rounds.  It took the place formerly occupied by a Kahr PM9.  The Kahr was also pretty accurate and ran well, but with that long trigger pull (although very smooth), I occasionally short stroked it.  And I shot the Shield better.    Happy with mine.

New Post
5/29/2017 10:08 PM

Buzz, how you like the Apex kit?

New Post
6/5/2017 12:21 PM

I have been using a Shield .40 as a J frame replacement. As such it is carried in highly discrete situations.

I replaced the factory sights with 10-8 sights to get rid of the awful 3 dot system. I dropped in an Apex sear and striker block. I also installed a TLR6. It is a neat little pistol, with most of the capability of my full-size MP 40 and G22g4. I can shoot similar size groups with it at 25 yards compared to the others. It does require a little more focus to shoot well.

It is far easier to shoot well than the S&W 442 it replaced. The 442 was a 15 yard gun on a good day. The Shield can easily be pushed to 50 yards in a pinch. 25 yard brain shots are not a problem... I was not comfortable shooting brains with the 442 past about 7 yards....

New Post
6/5/2017 12:53 PM

So how does the TLR6 fit on a Shield?

New Post
6/5/2017 8:18 PM

El Mac,
It fits well. It does add some slight bulk, but the combination is still very slim. I value the capability it provides.

New Post
6/14/2017 11:05 AM

The Shield conceals well and is very comfortable. Be prepared to get an Apex trigger. If I did not get the Apex trigger for my shield, I would have sold it. The stock trigger makes it almost unshootable for me, except at very close distance. It has it's place, but is not my main squeeze. 

New Post
7/2/2017 3:54 PM

El Mac wrote:
Buzz, how you like the Apex kit?

Sorry, just saw this.  I like the Apex kit.  Even though I had shot and dry fired the Shield quite a bit, the trigger pull was still somewhat long and uneven.  The Apex D/C kit cleaned all that up.  In fact, it's almost too light for me, for a gun carried IWB or AIWB w/o either a manual safety or hammer.  Regardless, I think the Apex kit was well worth the price.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...SW ShieldSW Shield