Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Lever Light Mount on Marlin 336CLever Light Mount on Marlin 336C
Previous

Next
New Post
7/14/2017 10:28 AM

Well, I reckon I've got my Lever Scout Rifle completely finished now. Installed my new Hill People Gear Lever Light Mount (LLM) and installed a short, cut-down section of Magpul pic rail to the forestock for a side-mounted sling. Everything turned out just right. The new LLM was dead-easy to install and added very little weight, but a whole bunch of backcountry functionality for a practical lever gun. 

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/14/2017 10:33 AM

Is that lever specific? Would it work on a GSR, or any barrel?

New Post
7/14/2017 10:53 AM

chorpie wrote:
Is that lever specific? Would it work on a GSR, or any barrel?

That is probably a question for Scot or Evan to answer, but I am thinking it would not be the best thing to add to the barrel of a GSR, as that it would degrade the accuracy of the GSR's free-floating barrel.  It's really meant for the magazine tube on a .30 cal. lever gun.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/14/2017 12:34 PM

The original idea with this original design was this same mount could be used on a rifle barrel. Whether or not that's a good idea for accuracy' sake will require some experimentation on your part. The larger issue is that this design isn't very diameter forgiving. This makes it very robust on lever action mag tubes, but not too applicable outside of that. It needs to go on a tube that is very close to .646". So far, we know that is Marlin and Winchester 30-30 mag tubes and Winchester .357 mag tubes.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/14/2017 7:32 PM

Ken - Solid looking rifle; I'm not normally a fan of "tactical" lever actions, but man you make it work! I spent a while trying to figure out a non-invasive way to way of hooking a light put to a lever before finally giving up on the idea, just couldn't seem to make it work right... (Best I think I managed was using a shotgun flashlight mount, but it had its issues.) Unfortunately my 336 passed on a while ago, or I'd definitely be picking this up. - J

New Post
7/14/2017 10:35 PM

evanhill wrote:
The original idea with this original design was this same mount could be used on a rifle barrel. Whether or not that's a good idea for accuracy' sake will require some experimentation on your part. The larger issue is that this design isn't very diameter forgiving. This makes it very robust on lever action mag tubes, but not too applicable outside of that. It needs to go on a tube that is very close to .646". So far, we know that is Marlin and Winchester 30-30 mag tubes and Winchester .357 mag tubes.

For what it's worth, there was a discussion of your new mount over on www.pistol-forum.com and some folks dug out the calipers. They determined that at least one .44 Mag Trapper had the same mag tube outside diamater as a regular Winchester 94 in .30-30.

New Post
7/17/2017 11:17 AM

I have a suspicion based on the rifles I have looked at and measurements available that Winchester uses a single magazine tube for all their non-big bore (45/70, etc...) calibers. Certainly from a manufacturing point that would make sense and make life significantly easier.

I have measurements for fewer Marlins so I just don't know. If you have a lever gun in a different caliber and calipers, please throw up a measurement.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/17/2017 11:46 AM

scothill wrote:
I have a suspicion based on the rifles I have looked at and measurements available that Winchester uses a single magazine tube for all their non-big bore (45/70, etc...) calibers. Certainly from a manufacturing point that would make sense and make life significantly easier.

I have measurements for fewer Marlins so I just don't know. If you have a lever gun in a different caliber and calipers, please throw up a measurement.

I'm pretty sure you and Evan have already been looking at it, but a version of the LLM for the 45/70 and other big bores would probably do well.  I'm thinking about guys in camps in places like Alaska griz country and them wanting bear defense of their camp at night.  I suppose that most of those guys are likely relying on some type of hand-cannon pistol for the job now.  Maybe a pistol is the better choice for a short-yardage situation since it's more nimble, but a LLM on a big bore lever gun would offer them a mighty nice option!  I think the only ones I've ever seen before were from Wild West Alaska Guns, but I think an HPG one would be more aesthetically pleasing and probably weigh a good bit less, too.

New Post
7/17/2017 11:49 AM

Yup, already talked to our metal guy about it, but in part we will see how well received these are.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
Today @ 12:22 PM

I wasn't sure where else to post this but I just received my LLM the other day and I tried it on all the lever actions I had. Some of this info is already known or obvious but it may help someone (maybe we can get a "will it fit" thread like the kit bags have for handguns).

Will Fit:
Winchester 94 .30-30
Winchester 92 .45 Colt
Marlin 336Y .30-30 (but it will touch the barrel with hot a ton but some pressure)

Will Not Fit:
Browning 71 .348
Winchester 71 .348
Marlin 1895 .45-70

And for grins I tried it on a Winchester 1895 .30-06 and a Savage 99 .300 Sav. The LLM doesn't fit over these barrels close to the hand guards but it would fit just behind the front sight on the Savage and just behind the muzzle on the Winny.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Lever Light Mount on Marlin 336CLever Light Mount on Marlin 336C