Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...S&W M&P 2.0 in .40S&W M&P 2.0 in .40
Previous

Next
New Post
1/16/2018 7:08 PM

The 9mm griz kill might be a one off thing or really be significant.   I kind of think they were very fortunate but I've never been to Alaska or been charged by a bear.

The boutique .40s out of a 5" barrel meet the .4/200gr/1000 of Cooper's ideal defensive cartridge.  Regular .40 is much cheaper to shoot alot of and get proficient with than 10mm.

Evan - what are the standards you hold yourself to to measure proficiency?  Seem pretty tough.

New Post
1/16/2018 8:32 PM

I think it is significant. The guide had tested the ammo out and concluded that it would work well before carried it into the field. Those 147 grain +p+ hardcast and fmj rounds have crazy deep penetration. A 10 mm will not out penetrate it - it will be equal or slightly less. Also, It’s not the only time something like that has happened and there are also accounts of big bore revolvers requiring the whole cylinder full to end aggression from a bear. One hit in the beasts CNS will anchor it. It won’t matter if it’s from a 475 Linebaugh or a 9mm or 10mm. The odds of putting multiple rounds on target are greater with properly loaded polymer wonder pistols. Add into the mix the all copper Xtreme penetrator line from Underwood ammo. I personally alternate those with the +p+ 147 fmj in my Glock 19 when worried about teeth and claws. I know the odds are against me ever confronting an aggressive bear but at least I know I can put three of those deep penetrating bullets on target in no time flat. 

New Post
1/18/2018 2:29 PM

Evan - what are the standards you hold yourself to to measure proficiency?  Seem pretty tough.

Objectively speaking, the accuracy standard is the same one Larry Vickers gave us - end on fist at 7 yards, sideways fist at 10 yards, spread hand at 15 yards. His doctrine is that under duress your group size will double so those are important square range standards. This should be accomplished over the course of an entire range session with no more than a couple of fliers. A good speed standard (for me) is 10 rounds / 10 seconds / 10 yards to the 10 yard accuracy standard. I'm usually not quite that good - either I maintain accuracy and get 8 or 9 rounds off, or I get 10 rounds off but don't quite make the accuracy standard.

Subjectively speaking, I need to feel like I can pick up cold and shoot to those standards pretty much any time without sweating it too much or having to concentrate a whole bunch. That level of performance should be subconscious.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/19/2018 8:41 AM

Two days ago I purchased an M&P 2.0 Compact in 40s&w. Today I chronographed three rounds of the Doubletap 200 grain wfngc from my new 2.0 Compact. Velocities were 1028, 1058, 1068. I’m happy with that.

New Post
1/19/2018 5:49 PM

chriscscs wrote:
Two days ago I purchased an M&P 2.0 Compact in 40s&w. Today I chronographed three rounds of the Doubletap 200 grain wfngc from my new 2.0 Compact. Velocities were 1028, 1058, 1068. I’m happy with that.

That'll do it. How's the recoil, and how many rounds of that gun/ammo combo do you reckon you'll fire before you deem it reliable?

New Post
1/19/2018 6:41 PM

Seems like then a 5" M&P .40 like Evan went to would consistently then get 1050fps or better with 200gr DT.

Now the question-is that good enough to trade the Glock 20 10mm in for one for all uses including grizzly country?

New Post
1/19/2018 6:56 PM

I currently have about 45 rounds left so I’ll use this box for testing and order another one or two boxes to have on hand. The meplat is huge, as large as some 44mag meplats. Even so, the 2.0 ate ‘em up. I didn’t think the recoil was bad. It wasn’t a problem to get back on target after each shot. The 2.0 handles the 40 very well.

New Post
1/23/2018 7:21 PM

I want to echo Evan’s feelings about the 2.0 40. I’m impressed! Over the past couple of days I tested my 2.0 compact out against my other 40 (HK VP40) and Glock 19 with various ammo. I can say that the 2.0 was smoother shooting than the VP40 and just as accurate for me. I also noticed that when +p gold dots were fired from the G19 recoil was on par with the 180 federal American Eagle 40. When +p+ Underwood 147 fmj was used the recoil felt very similar to the Underwood 180 fmj 40. Now, the Underwood 40s&w 155 XTP at 1300fps got my attention with sharper recoil and more muzzle blast but was still controllable.

I was surprised how much more shootable the 2.0 was for me over the HK.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...S&W M&P 2.0 in .40S&W M&P 2.0 in .40