Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols
Previous

Next
New Post
11/14/2017 9:21 AM

Made a decision after careful thought and....well....Merry Christmas / 27th Wedding Anniversary for me! Mrs. Santa Claus / HouseCon-6 / Dear Wife (SF Special Breed Of Woman) has cleared me hot to drop the hammer on a Redhawk .44 Mag 4.2"! I reckon I got me a good woman....she didn't even flinch!  Just sealed the deal on GunBroker.com.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
11/15/2017 12:37 PM

Congrats!

I bought that revolver in .45 Colt a while back.  Second trip to the range the rear sight blade cracked necessitating replacement.  After a bit of research, I installed the Bowen Rough Country rear sight.  It's quite the improvement.

All the best with your new Ruger.

New Post
11/15/2017 2:19 PM

Thanks!  Good to know!  I will keep an eye on the rear sight.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/27/2018 10:33 AM

I have a .454 that I bought for deep woods carry but I usually carry a 10mm.

New Post
9/13/2018 8:22 AM

An interesting bear pistol story ....
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/09/dean-weingarten/a-new-mexico-bear-attack-finally-stopped-by-a-glock-10mm-pistol/

New Post
9/15/2018 2:00 PM

I saw that article and it’s interesting. The poor guy wasn’t expecting a run in with an animal so he had was loaded for a social defense situation.

New Post
9/16/2018 5:46 PM

41magfan wrote:
An interesting bear pistol story ....
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/09/dean-weingarten/a-new-mexico-bear-attack-finally-stopped-by-a-glock-10mm-pistol/

Great story.  The guy is a stud in my book.

Many of the comments on the article criticized him for using Hornady 175gr. Critical Duty 10mm.  Lucky Gunner Ammo Labs says this load gives 20 inches of penetration on gel and expands to .56”.

Understand bear is not gel and I carry Corbon 200gr FMJ/hardcast in bear country.   Still not sure the Critical Duty ballistics were that bad.

As an aside, I couldn’t get 220gr. hard cast to feed reliably in my Glock 20.

New Post
9/16/2018 6:29 PM

As is most often the case, the outcome of this incident had very little to do with the gun or the ammunition being used.

New Post
9/16/2018 7:27 PM

It actually has a lot to do with the ammo. In fact, it’s probably a close second to shot placement. Even with proper shot placement hollow points just don’t do as good a job at breaking bones and penetrating. None of the “experts” that I know of recommend hollowpoints for bear defense. John Linebaugh, Tim Sundles, Ashley Emerson all emphasize the importance of using a tough, deep penetrating solid.

New Post
9/16/2018 7:49 PM

chriscscs wrote:
It actually has a lot to do with the ammo. In fact, it’s probably a close second to shot placement. Even with proper shot placement hollow points just don’t do as good a job at breaking bones and penetrating. None of the “experts” that I know of recommend hollowpoints for bear defense. John Linebaugh, Tim Sundles, Ashley Emerson all emphasize the importance of using a tough, deep penetrating solid.

I'm operating under the assumption that the context of this thread is the DEFENSIVE use of a handgun against bears. In those circumstances, just about any medium to large caliber service handgun cartridge (9mm, .357, .40, .45, 10mm, .41/.44, et al) will bring about a cessation of the attack, IF the operator can achieve reasonable hits.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5RJqfBQAX

If I knew I was going to use a handgun to shoot a large predator "on purpose", then yes I'd choose the most effective handgun and load available, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.

New Post
9/16/2018 8:19 PM

41mag, I’m with you on that!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols