Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...5.56 Ruger GSR5.56 Ruger GSR
Previous

Next
New Post
4/5/2018 6:11 AM

Hey everyone- great forum.  I have been lurking for a while, but having walked away from FB after the Cambridge mess I've lost my online communities.  This seems like a great place.  I note in Evan's comment in another area that it takes a few posts for new members to clear, so I thought I'd start with a quick one year review of my 5.56 GSR.

The gun I wanted doesn't exist, a 5.56 Winchester Model 70, so I decided to try something new and give a Ruger a try.  I compare everything to Model 70s because I've spent so much time with them.  

I bought a stainless laminate model, added a Trijicon MRO, and Andy's Leather Rhodesian sling.  The factory 10 round AI magazine is nicely made but weighs more than a truck.  I added some polymer ten rounders and a Michigan legal 5 round AI for coyote hunting.  That magazine is my favorite as it doesn't interfere with manipulating the rifle or shooting from prone.

The three position safety is nice in that it works just like a 70, but it is easy to miss when coming up to fire.  I wish it was shaped differently.  I have shot the rifle a great deal, but the bolt is just starting to run with something within earshot of smooth.  It's getting there, but the break-in has been slow.

The rifle is very accurate.  Obviously recoil is essentially negligible, but thanks to the short barrel and flash hider it has a pretty horrific bark.  I have to tighten the slotted screw on the bolt stop after long range sessions, but it isn't a problem.  I ordered a spare bolt stop assembly and added it to the range kit that fits in one of the magazines pouches on my rifle case.

The Trijicon MRO has been a revelation.  I love it.  I can ring the 300 yard gong at my club with regularity if it is freshly painted.  Once the paint is gone I have trouble finding it, but if I look through my binoculars I can usually get back to work.

It's heavy, but of course that pays off when settled in to a shooting position.  I wish it could take a Ching sling, but I'm getting used to the Rhodesian.  

In short, it's a cool gun.  I drag it all over the place.  For a bolt rifle fan that wanted in on the affordable 5.56/223 bargains its been perfect.

Again, cool group.  I'm eager to get to know you all.

[URL=http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/UplanderGLS/media/IMG_2569%201_zpstbvfnsar.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/UplanderGLS/media/scoutmro_zpsg3m6rcki.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
4/5/2018 6:53 AM

Nice looking rifle and welcome. Why not pull the brake and just run a thread protector or a flash hider? You don't need a brake on a 5.56, and it would save your ears quite a bit.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/5/2018 8:08 AM

Hello Scot. I need to do that. If I had the right size Torx I would have done it long ago, but it has become that thing I tell myself I'm going to do, then promptly forget about when I get home. The rifle came with a thread protector so there is no excuse.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...5.56 Ruger GSR5.56 Ruger GSR