Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Personal holy grail gun?Personal holy grail gun?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/16/2018 8:59 PM

Scot I know you love the levers.  I tried.  I had three SS/lam Marlins.  Couldn't warm up to them.  They went down the road.  Your SSG doesn't happen to have a Khales ZF-69 for glass?  That rifle came pretty close to being adopted by SOCOM in the 80's.  Some of the hammer-forged barrels would string bullets vertically when they got hot so MSG Rick Boucher pushed for the 700.

If you move the SSG just make sure it goes to a good home.

New Post
4/17/2018 10:20 AM

strow wrote:

Wose, I think an NEF 18.5" single shot 12g shotgun with quality iron sights would be pretty close. Add a fist full of 8" sub caliber inserts in 22lr, 9mm, and 45ACP and you would be set. You could add a 223, 30/30, or 308W barrel if needed.

The sub caliber inserts in a 12g barrel are surprisingly quiet especially if you start with subsonic loads. Quiet enough you can hear the bullet spin down range. The 12g barrel acts like a big legal expansion chamber. It is hard to do quality work with just a front bead in my experience though.

Add all the duct tape and bailing wire you want.  It keeps it handy for other repairs...

Oof. I dunno. I know outfits like that are popular among the Bushcraft™ crowd, but all those bits and bobs seem the oppisite of simple to me.

That part about the sub-caliber inserts being quiet in the shotgun barrel sure is interesting though.

On the other hand, I'd be all over a Mauser pistol. Not just because Han Solo, but also because Jon Sable...

New Post
4/17/2018 10:58 AM

It has a Night Force on it.

I have most of the rifles used by our paternal grand parents, as well as the guns we learned to shoot with, one of which came from the same source. It is a single shot, rolling block style by Stevens. Reportedly, our grandfather got it somehow for selling newspapers back in the day. It was never used for subsistence, but it has seen lots and lots of use. None of them are really using guns for me, but cool to have nonetheless.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/22/2018 3:59 PM

scothill wrote:

"My other adult grail gun is the perfect carry handgun. That has been more of a moving target since it is a collection of attributes, but I have yet to find the gun in the wild as there does not seem to be an actual model that is exactly what I want. I keep coming close, but no dice. Basically, I want a double stack, aluminum frame, 1911 that is reliable and sub 30oz empty chambered in either 9mm or 40 s&w. My Sig SAO Legion 226 is very close, but is heavier then I am looking for and I just like the more svelte slide of the 1911 for iwb. Over the course of a day the weight and bulk makes the difference. I think I might just have to settle for a single-stack 1911 and call it a day, but I am always looking and hoping to find the one. I also keep hoping that the 2011s of various flavors mature enough to be considered reliable."

Scot, are you moving back toward the 1911 and away from the M&P?  If so is it, because the width of the M&P slide?  Or is it another reason?

My big theoretical gun desires are similar to yours.

1.  A rugged, reliable semi auto .308 scout rifle that is 50 state legal and doesn't look like an "evil assault rifle".   The HK SL7 as mentioned about would be a good visual.   A well executed M1 Garand "Tanker" in .308 might fit the bill.   I don't have the time or money to pursue it currently.

2.  A one handgun does it all handgun.  A 21st Century 1873 SAA follow-on that I can throw in a holster and know it is up to the challenge of anything I might run into that day from terrorist to grizzly bear.   Ideally it would be the same envelope as a M1911, or better yet Commander or even a CCO, be striker fired and Glock reliable,  have a mag cap of at least 12 with .40 or 10mm, weight about 30 oz or less.   M&P 2.0 seems close but for some reason like all these modern guns, they had to go and make the slide 1/4" or more wider than a M1911.   IIRC the Browning Hi-Power of 1935 had a slide about .90" wide with a 9mm mag cap of 13.  Don't know why 80 years later we can't match this.  (Rant over).

New Post
4/23/2018 3:47 AM

I have the really good useful ones I want like the Marlin 45-70, Marlin 44mag, Mossberg 20ga youth, Ruger GSR 308, and my Winchester trapper 30-30. In rimfire I've got an old s&w 422 (22lr autoloader that's lightweight), Marlin Papoose, and an CZ 452.

All those really are my favorites pretty much and I use them out and about so they're practical. But recently I've got an "Grail" item that has cropped up but I admit that they don't get lots of use yet, so far they have been for pleasure and recreation only. These are my model 71 348 and 71 348 Winchester ackley improved rifles. I love the 348 and the model 71 rifle. IMO probably the best of the Winchester leverguns, but I just wish they were a tad lighter. So yeah, I've been bitten by the 348 Winchester bug. Hopefully I never start looking at the 338 Marlin.

New Post
4/23/2018 7:41 AM

OPC, you always did have good taste.

CCO45ACP
In my opinion Modern CCO = 2.0 Compact, Modern Commander = 2.0 Fullsize, and Modern Govt = 2.0 5". I have a very hard time believing that the 2.0 slide, or the 1.0 slide for that matter, is 1/4 thicker then the 1911 slide. If it is I don't know as I can really notice the difference IWB. The 2.0 series is everything you are looking for, and that is why Evan made the switch. I have two issues with the 2.0, and one is an easy fix. First I just don't like the hinged trigger either from a feel standpoint or a performance one (I don't think they are consistent 100% in how they hinge due to flex, but that is just a theory). The apex triggers are an easy swap, and fix that problem completely. The second issue is only an issue for those with larger hands. I wear an XL glove, and miss the beavertail from the 1.0. It allowed me to run the larger grip inserts without getting bit and helped the gun feel more planted in my hand. With the 2.0 I limited to the smaller inserts if I don't want to get torn up. I shoot the 2.0 as well as anything and better then some, so the smaller inserts aren't a hinderance from a performance stand point at all. They are just not the ones I would prefer. My 5" is my woods gun, headed into bigger bear country that gun, longer back country trips that gun (probably), etc... Simply because in 40 it is a one gun to do everything solution.

That being said I have a personal hang up. I am a 1911 guy. I just like them, I know blah blah blah reliability, blah blah blah capacity, blah blah whatever else. I like them, I like carrying one, I like shooting one, and that is about it. My Sig Legion SAO came close to replacing that like, and from a strictly shooting standpoint, I do like it better then a 1911, but I find the extra weight (6+ oz empty) on my hip all day makes a difference, so I end up going back to the 1911.

I wish I could be more practical and switch to the 2.0 platform, but so far I just haven't been able to. That doesn't mean it isn't the better solution, because it is in my opinion, it just means I got issues.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/23/2018 6:40 PM

scothill wrote:

"....I am a 1911 guy. I just like them, I know blah blah blah reliability, blah blah blah capacity, blah blah whatever else. I like them, I like carrying one, I like shooting one, and that is about it."

Sometimes what we "like" is just as important - a 'grail gun' to me implies something beyond mere practicality, it's something you have an attachment to. I feel the same way about a good .357 revolver. There's a lot to like about my M&P 2.0 - it does everything it needs to do really well (almost too well), but it just doesn't have the same "feel" to me as my GP100. The 2.0 is an excellent tool. The GP100 is most definitely an effective tool as well, but it's also something I enjoy carrying and shooting much more than any plastic, striker gun I've ever handled. I like being proficient with both, but at the end of the day, that Ruger wheelgun just feels right. 

New Post
4/26/2018 9:49 AM

scothill wrote:
CCO45ACP
"In my opinion Modern CCO = 2.0 Compact, Modern Commander = 2.0 Fullsize, and Modern Govt = 2.0 5". I have a very hard time believing that the 2.0 slide, or the 1.0 slide for that matter, is 1/4 thicker then the 1911 slide. If it is I don't know as I can really notice the difference IWB. The 2.0 series is everything you are looking for, and that is why Evan made the switch... My 5" is my woods gun, headed into bigger bear country that gun, longer back country trips that gun (probably), etc... Simply because in 40 it is a one gun to do everything solution.

That being said I have a personal hang up. I am a 1911 guy. I just like them, I know blah blah blah reliability, blah blah blah capacity, blah blah whatever else. I like them, I like carrying one, I like shooting one, and that is about it... so I end up going back to the 1911.

I wish I could be more practical and switch to the 2.0 platform, but so far I just haven't been able to. That doesn't mean it isn't the better solution, because it is in my opinion, it just means I got issues."

Thanks Scot.  I think I made one of the bigger "foot in mouth" errors on HPG forum and confused Evan's post on the M&P .40 2.0 5" with something you posted...Sorry!

Otherwise the edited part of your post quoted above is pretty much where I stand and I think it is good analysis.  I have to figure out if it is worth it to me to jump to the M&P when I'm pretty heavily invested in the 1911 platform and like it and am pretty heavily invested in Glock gear and...well...at least respect Glocks' value, reliability, durability and mag capacity.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Personal holy grail gun?Personal holy grail gun?