Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/22/2014 9:16 PM

I like my Galco Safari Ching Sling for hunting. It's lightweight, comfortable on the shoulder and easy/stable to shoot from. Only requires 2 swivels. It is not quick adjusting like the others have mentioned, but I've found I don't need that on a hunting rifle. Everyone's needs and preferences are different. I'm a simpleton and like to set-it-and-forget-it. 

New Post
10/23/2014 4:53 PM

I use a 1" leather Ching sling from Andy's Leather with flush cups for attachment.

I have tried boithane the material is smother than leather but it seems to stick to your shoulder better. There is no stretch at all when slung up and it is strong enough to pull a truck out of the mud. Its lighter also if that is important.

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
10/25/2014 5:44 PM

I had a TAB Gear sling on a 700 Varmint.  I liked it a lot.  The same guy made up a few UL versions of the TAB for EdT and a few others here years ago.  Maybe we could do a group buy?

I found the original  Ching (Turner Saddlery) that came with my Steyr Scout to be a bit much.  I prefer Andy's one-inch version of the Ching much better.  The Ching is not a one-size-fits-all proposition.  If you have arms like an orangutang, you'll need a longer middle strap, let Andy know when you order.

New Post
6/4/2015 4:46 PM

I made my own "Rhodesian" style sling with 1 1/4" mil-spec webbing and side mounted QD swivels. It is light, fast, and quiet.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
6/4/2015 5:27 PM

I like the V-Tac sling best, from Viking Tactics.  I'm used to the way they operate from having used them on active duty, I like their versatility for different types of carry, I like how they can be used as a shooting aid, and they are well-made to last a long time.  I run a V-Tac on just about every long gun I own.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/4/2015 10:33 PM

Not long after my last post in this thread I started using an RS-2 sling from Rifle-Craft.com and it's become my new go-to sling. I suppose it could be described as a nylon ching sling in that once it's adjusted it's always ready with a loop but this one can be tightened up and it functions closer to a loop sling than a hasty sling (my complaint about the ching slings).

I dont often cross body carry a rifle anymore so the quick adjust feature isn't a standout feature in my sling shopping.

New Post
6/5/2015 11:40 AM

Hawk, thanks for the heads-up on those Riflecraft slings.  I think I'll give one of those a whirl.

New Post
6/15/2015 9:00 AM

I just ordered a RS-3 for my new precision rifle. Nice looking sling and I appreciate the ability to set sling length for the arm and still cross body. I will let folks know what I think.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/23/2015 8:57 AM

Another vote for the Rifle-Craft slings. I have an original model and IMO it's the cat's pajamas for getting real stable real quick. Haven't tried the newer models but I can only imagine they're even better.

New Post
7/22/2015 11:33 AM

mds wrote:

Another vote for the Rifle-Craft slings. I have an original model and IMO it's the cat's pajamas for getting real stable real quick. Haven't tried the newer models but I can only imagine they're even better.

Agreed. I have one on my GSR. Took a bit to get used to for drawing it up quick, but once you are used to how it works that is one solid and comfortable sling. Well made too.

New Post
8/10/2015 11:39 AM

My heavy bolt gun - a Turner 1907 sling. My lightweight mountain rifle, a Montana sling

New Post
3/29/2018 11:07 AM

How do you set it up? I am considering the VCAS and like the idea of rhodesian style

New Post
3/29/2018 11:09 AM

How much strap did you need to make your own rhodesian sling?

New Post
3/29/2018 11:34 AM

Glocker21, not sure if you are asking me or not on the VCAS, but basically you need the front swivel point located at the right location on your rifle so that the front adjustment loop can be used to go around the upper arm. On something like an AR with a mlok rail you just figure out what that mounting point is and mount your attachment there. On rifles with a fixed attachment point, it either works or it doesn't.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/29/2018 2:21 PM

Yes, I was asking about the VCAS. I have a GI sling I have been using but wanted a quicker rhodesian method. I was not sure if the vcas could just be mounted of if the sling had to be modified. I get where you are coming from. Thanks

New Post
4/28/2018 10:03 PM

I am another happy user of the VTAC since 2009 when I used it on one of Pats EAG 416 loaners. I have them on all my long guns- 77/22, AR, precision rifle, shotguns and some others. I will note that I like the newer, more textured material that the slings are shipping with. I have both padded and non padded, depending on what I am doing.

New Post
4/29/2018 12:14 AM

Could you expand on what you are referring to as "more textured"?

New Post
4/29/2018 7:13 AM

I have been training with the PIG SMS Sling from SKD a lot lately. Very similar to a Ching Sling but with QD buckles and quick adjustment. I believe SLG was the designer or had input into it. He may be able to chime in. Has been a solid sling and I will probably get spares.

I am thankful I spend many years as a kid in the DCM shooting Smallbore and Highpower with a sling.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
5/4/2018 8:17 AM

El Mac,
The older model slings used a very slick, tight weave webbing. It made it adjust more easily, but also would slip slightly.

The newer slings that I have bought in the last year or so have more of a traditional weave texture, which eliminates the adjustment slippage. It may be a color thing. All my slick webbing slings have been black or coyote, the rough texture slings have been MultiCam.

New Post
5/4/2018 10:53 PM

I ended up buying some 1.5" heavy nylon webbing and stitched up my own Rhodesian style sling. the extra .25" width really makes for a very comfortable sling when slung up tight in Rhodesian hasty method.
Sometimes making your own stuff makes the difference, especially if you only have $11.00 into the sling (webbing and tri glides) using Combetex 1.5" sliing swivels.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?