Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Keymod vs  MLOK and pic railsKeymod vs MLOK and pic rails
Previous

Next
New Post
6/18/2016 11:43 AM

Can someone catch me up to speed on the pluses and minuses of the Keymod vs MLOK accessory mounts for AR forends?  I think I am going to use an SLR handguard on a 12.5" "mini-recce upper build and I get to choose.  I have an NSR Noveske 16" upper with Keymod and it seems to work for the WML and bipod.  Just wondering if the MLOK is...more better.

Also, Is there a good reason to have a full length pic rail at 12 O-clock for anything besides mounting a laser or similar?  SLR has a few ultra light options with just a small chunk of pic rail on the end of the forend, giving it a weight savings over the full pick rail.

Thanks!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
6/18/2016 12:07 PM

I'd go MLOK. And no, if you are not mounting crap to the 12 o'clock, no need for it, except as you indicated for a front sight.

New Post
6/18/2016 1:34 PM

El Mac,

What is your reasoning for picking the MLOK over the Keymod? Just curious.

New Post
6/18/2016 2:02 PM

It is more secure. If you look at Keymod, to me it looks like they made it backwards. It's basically a version of the same set up as adjustable shelving...and in the Keymod's case, if you pull backwards towards the shooter and it is the slightest bit loose or not torqued down properly, the accessory (VFG, sling mount, etc.) will slide down towards it's widest opening allowing the accessory to become disengaged from the rail. I've seen this happen on the range.

MLOK is either locked or it's not. There is less of a chance of it coming loose.

New Post
6/18/2016 2:20 PM

Got it.

Will go MLOK then.

Thanks!

New Post
6/18/2016 2:48 PM

I don't think you will be disappointed. And Keymod is not bad, but it could be better. My opinion anyway...

New Post
6/18/2016 3:50 PM

El Mac wrote:
I don't think you will be disappointed. And Keymod is not bad, but it could be better. My opinion anyway...

I've got Keymod on my DDM4 SLiM rail.  Although I am fine with it, I will concede it is a bit more of a PITA to get things to properly install and stay put.  Once I got things torqued to spec...no worries.  When I ordered my Daniel Defense, there was no other option, so that's what I went with.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/18/2016 8:37 PM

Yeah...it's kind of a Ford v. Chevy proposition. I think the Keymod is fine but it should be on the "check list" doing a PCI. One of my best friends, retired USA O6, asked me to build an AR for him. Money was no object and he left it entirely up to me as to the components. After doing my homework, I opted for the MLOK. For his needs and the fact that its less hassle to begin with, it was the way to go. Moving accessories around that rail was a snap and a pleasure.

To be completely fair to Keymod, I've seen dudes lose accessories off of regular picatinny rails as I'm sure anyone has if they've been around 'em long enough.

One word for things that get screwed on: bluelocktight

No matter what, Murphy reigns supreme.

New Post
6/18/2016 11:08 PM

For a lot of the same reasons El Mac stated M-Lok makes more sense to me. I also just got a new rail on my AR (ALG EMR V2 13") with M-Lok and so far in the 30ish hours I've had it I'm very pleased. I also really liked that I was able to use some of the old MOE spec hardware I have lying around to mount my light, and maybe eventually a VFG/AFG of some kind. The actual M-Lok hardware is even easier to use. If you do the install yourself just double check you've got the gas tube in correctly. I goofed on that step and now have a bad ass looking AR, that's basically a mag fed single shot as I discovered at the range today! Better now than when it counts I guess. As for blue lock tight, is does work well, but after some research the Vibra-tight stuff might be better, at least in principal it makes more sense. It's the yellow colored stuff that comes pre-done on a lot of mounting hardware I've had my hands on lately. Worth a look at least.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/19/2016 6:12 AM

El Mac wrote:
Yeah...it's kind of a Ford v. Chevy proposition. 
One word for things that get screwed on: bluelocktight

Or....don't buy either one of those and get a RAM!!  ;-)

I use so much Loctite on different things (sometimes even the red stuff), the company ought to give me stock in it!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/19/2016 6:16 AM

RAM! I should have thought of that....and not just any RAM either! That bad boy is set up!

New Post
6/19/2016 8:37 AM

I run Key Mod rails on my stuff and have had no issues with it coming loose. That being said, I do agree that they should turn the slots 180 degrees. It would just make more sense.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
7/8/2016 5:11 PM

The Key is oriented that way because of weapon recoil. But as has been noted, leverage goes both ways on a VFG or WML that gets knocked around. I suspect the MLOK system will stand the test of time, but KeyMod may fade away.

I have stuck with 1913 to date, but will go MLOK when I upgrade. I have seen hard guys tear stuff loose from the Keys, but those guys also break anvils.

New Post
8/31/2018 1:19 AM

They both are accessory attachment systems. They each use different methods of attaching to things to the hand guard. Keymod system can be incredibly lightweight, and allow for the direct attachment of any Keymod-compatible accessories or MLOK extension of the KeyMod system.M-Lok system is lightweight, durable. They are both amazing systems that work well.

Keymod Handguard

New Post
9/20/2018 3:01 PM

As it has turned out, I am standardizing on Keymod.

Why?
Partly because I am thrifty and Keymod tubes are cheap as guys try to emulate the cool kids and switch to MLok.

Partly because Keymod works fine if you pay attention while installing the part.

Partly because my setup is dialed in, and I don't move things around much.

Partly because my setups are very simple. I will have a light and VFG installed at most.

Partly because I really like the feel of the BCM Keymod covers on the slim Keymod tube.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Keymod vs  MLOK and pic railsKeymod vs MLOK and pic rails