Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/31/2018 1:13 PM

Change systems? They manipulate identically. The one just has a better trigger, better sights and larger capacity in an overall smaller package right out of the box.

New Post
11/12/2018 12:45 PM

I’m of the opinion that I since we get the fight we’re given, and not a tidy one that we dream up, I only feel “comforted” with full sized handguns that have sights, trigger, capacity and enough size that I can wrap my large mitts around it in a consistent manner that allows control.

I’m guilty of not carrying during much of my single/dating years, hoping a gun nearby would be a reasonable compromise. It was flawed thinking, and I was fortunate to not suffer any consequences for it. Almost 20 years later I’m wiser, the equipment choices have expanded, and the world is degraded a few notches.  MY decision for ME has been to adjust my clothing and carry rather than choosing a tiny “feel good” gun. I do own a 3AT that rides in the front pocket of my around the house pants and shorts. A bigger option is always 3-5 seconds away, but the little 3AT is a convenient overlap in security, and a time buyer on my way to better choices.

I do own a G43 and have used it a couple times in a crossbreed during shorts/T-shirt weather, but MY minimum size is really the G19, which also carries well in a crossbreed during the summer months.

Given today’s lack of fashion sense or accountability, I dress like a middle aged conservative working class guy, and carry a full sized pistol and spare mag. When away from home any distance with my family, I also carry a carbine because even the best pistol is second chair to a decent carbine.

in an office setting with a dress code I would give ankle carry serious consideration. Buy your pants a little longer which protects against ride up while seated and printing while standing. Invest in a good holster not a cheapy.

New Post
11/12/2018 12:58 PM

Continuing on (my phone and I weren’t in agreement with the last post length), I hate belly bands for any sized gun. I could make it work for a very specific event, but never EDC.

And I’ve never tried appendix carry and think it might prove to be a fad after the 25yr old studs with beards and full sleeve tats reach middle age. Just MY prediction..............and I’m 6’03” 198.

Ankle carry is also requires a lifestyle adjustment, but frees you of all printing around the waist (where most people would notice) and allows you to slouch in your chair or take off your outer layer or otherwise be as comfortable as an unarmed guy. You’re also safe against innocent brushes or hugs. And if the balloon goes up while you’re sitting in your Cubicle working on a TPS report, you can access an ankle gun quickly while seated. A G27 would be my recommendation for an almost full sized gun that’s very controllable, takes hicap mags and carries discretely on the ankle. 

My two pesos for now. 

Jason

New Post
11/12/2018 4:49 PM

Jason,
Your first post on this thread is pretty solid. I tend to agree with most everything you said - except - I'm no fan of the g19 though I recognize lots are. Cool.

Your second post, I would disagree with the recommendation on the g27. Having witnessed first hand the deleterious effects going a step down to a g27 has on accuracy...If I had to step down and stay in the Glock realm, it would be a g26.

New Post
11/12/2018 6:02 PM

Thanks, and you’re correct. Believe it or not, I had the G26 in my head when I pecked that out on my phone.

I own a G27 that I used as a BUG to my duty G22 for years, and carried on and off duty in different ankle holsters. But if starting from scratch, it’d be the G26 no doubt.

New Post
11/13/2018 9:50 AM

El Mac wrote:

Your second post, I would disagree with the recommendation on the g27. Having witnessed first hand the deleterious effects going a step down to a g27 has on accuracy...If I had to step down and stay in the Glock realm, it would be a g26.

I knew a gun dealer who had to limit trade-ins of G27's more that once.  People who've shot them don't want them, and folks who own them want to sell/trade them.  Having said that, I'm toying with getting a G26 and giving appendix carry a whirl.  Zev race connector with a NY1 trigger spring to beef that trigger up a bit

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?