Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols
Previous

Next
New Post
9/24/2018 6:27 PM

Watch carefully for my preferred bear evasion drill. I'm the guy in the polo. Whomever I'm hiking with is the guy with the ball. The guy in blue is the bear. It is hard to get the people you hike with to help you practice this technique.

New Post
9/25/2018 10:05 AM

If anyone might have access to a grizzly that's mounted on all fours, I'd be curious to know what the rough dimensions are of the following:
a. the head circumference
b. the distance between the eyes
c. the distance between the ears
d. the shoulder height & width

New Post
9/25/2018 12:45 PM

I set up a small drill that I tested for this purpose. A released basketball would roll downhill toward me and I would shoot as it approached. On rough gorund I felt that it might approximate the head of a bear charging toward the shooter, moving in all planes and directions.  Hitting it was not easy and I was grateful that being mauled by a basketball is non-fatal. I got a lot of mileage out of one basketball (cheap at Goodwill) by not hitting it and patching it when I infrequently did. Humbling!

New Post
10/21/2018 8:17 AM

There's nothing wrong with Critical Duty for a woods round...it may not be the best.

I carry G20 loaded with Critical Duty in my truck when traveling, especially in the urban jungle of DFW area. Friends and I had an opportunity to perform barrier testing on a variety of vehicles with variety of 9mm and 10mm rounds, hollow point and hard cast.

Critical Duty was the only hollow point bullet that would consistently penetrate the reinforced areas of car doors and body along with the hard cast bullets. Not Silvertip, not Gold Dot, not Critical Defense...

Because of this testing and our confidence in the bullet, I've carried Critical Duty in the woods in black bear territory. I wouldn't do so in Grizz country. If I'm camping in backwoods, I'll load up with Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman.

Not really fair to armchair quarterback, but I reckon his best shot for CNS was the first shot he took (but he purposely chose to aim for body).

I've always heard that if you shoot an attacking bear in the vitals (non CNS), you've got to survive long enough for the bear to realize he's dead...

Here's a plug for smaller caliber vs Grizz (scroll down for the story): https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

New Post
10/24/2018 8:41 PM

I own a G20, but a Glock 40 in 10mm with the underworld extreme penetrators seems like a mini-carbine to me. It’s on my short list. 

Will this fit in any of the kit bags? Any one tried yet? (It’s long) 

New Post
10/27/2018 10:58 AM

Long time lurker since I usually don't know enough to comment. I have a G40 that fits in both my Recon and Heavy Recon kit bags with a crimson trace lightguard on it. The Recon is part of a running setup with the runner's harness and a tara, while the heavy recon lives on its own. Point being, at least for me the G40 actually carries fine while trail running in addition to having a reasonable draw stroke.

Only other thing that might be interesting is that I currently run the 220 grain hardcast from Underwood. My chrono says that load actually meets the velocity printed on the box/online, and the velocity spread is small. That's with stock barrel and spring, and without any indication of a weak spring or excessive leading in the barrel I see no reason to change anything.

New Post
11/19/2018 6:38 PM

Just wondering is the Xtreme Penetrator bullets change the conversation a bit. I am not into gimmicks, but this bullet seems like the real deal to me. I have tested it in .45 ACP and get really good penetration in clay and water jugs. I know it is not very scientific, but that's all I currently have.

It seems that you can get enough penetration with a 10mm or a .45 to do the job. This allows folks to carry smaller handguns with more onboard capacity and less recoil than the typical field style revolvers. I am not knocking revolvers or other calibers, but thinking out loud. I still love my 69 and my Toklat.

I have been currently shooting a Glock 30 with Underwood 200 grain penetrators and am very impressed with accuracy, penetration, and controllability. It shoots much softer than a 29 I owned a while back and penetrates better than the 10mm loads that were available back then. I liked the 29, but being left handed the recoil from the hotter loads caused my trigger finger to activate the slide stop. I have not had this problem with the 30 and the Underwood. I have put the 30 into my rotation and find myself carrying it quite often. I like it when I travel through the Western states as it works dual duty for CCW and while out in the woods.

The one thing I know for sure it that there is no perfect solution. I think the best option is to get something you can shoot well, practice, and be smart in the field.

Credo Quia Absurdum!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bear PistolsBear Pistols