Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Some weights/comparisons between a 1911 and G34, with pics.Some weights/comparisons between a 1911 and G34, with pics.
Previous

Next
New Post
3/30/2017 2:49 PM

This is info from a thread I started elsewhere, but I thought it relevant and potentially useful for the unique crowd here.

BTW, This is NOT intended to be a "One vs the other" type thread. Simply a realistic comparison, from someone who enjoys 1911s and Glocks.

A lot of conversations/debates have compared Glocks and 1911s.

I like and use both, and have observed some misconceptions about carrying each. Many think a G34/G35 sized Glock is a huge handgun that is not easily concealed. Part of this is the idea that the Glocks are substantially wider than 1911s.

The 1911 is roughly .91"s wide, and the G17/34 series are about 1.18"s wide". That is a pretty miniscule difference (in my opinion). I believe the misconception stems from the top profile of the slide. The 1911 is rather "U shaped", versus the rather flat top of a glock:

The Glock simply LOOKS substantially wider.

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/IMG_2484_zpswygsyaly.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Another point of conversation is that many think a 1911 is no big deal to conceal, but the G34 "long slide" is "way too long". In actuality, when you look at the above photo, you will see that they are very similar in length, especially when you take into account, the external hammer of a 1911.

Now lets talk about weight, and compare capacity.

5" 1911, with one magazine of 8+1, for 9 rounds of 230 grain JHP, equals 2 pounds, 15 ounces:

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/IMG_2488_zpsphdpgp8l.jpg.html]
[/URL]

The long slide Glock 34, with 2 magazines of 21 rounds +1, for 43 rounds of 124 grain JHP, equals 2 pounds, 14 ounces:

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/IMG_2489_zps4n8q6kev.jpg.html]
[/URL]

BTW, I know someone will ask, I am using ETS, 22 round 9mm mags. I am also not stacking the deck, and showing how I actually carry them (with 21 rounds, instead of 22), as I have had issues seating the magazines, with 22 rounds in the mag. Simply giving a real world comparison.

For essentially the same weight, you have 9 rounds of 230 grain JHP .45 acp, versus 43 rounds of 124 grain JHP 9mm.

I figured someone might enjoy or find enlightening, the comparison.

CHEERS!

New Post
3/30/2017 2:52 PM

Something for those who prefer the .45, no matter the reasons:

The G30S. This is about the same size as a G19. In fact it fits many of the same holsters.

It comes standard with a 10 round magazine, as shown. Also shown is a full size Glock 21 magazine, who's standard capacity is 13 rounds. The one shown has a +4 baseplate attached. This allows a 17 round reload, in a magazine that is not too unwieldy to carry in traditional fashion.

Combining the G30S, carried with a standard magazine of 10+1, along with the extended G21, 17 round reload, allows for 28 rounds of .45 ACP.
Shown is 11 rounds of 230 grain Gold Dots, and 17 rounds of 230 grain Blazer ball.

This ends up being 2#s, 13 ounces.

Just one or 2 ounces differences between the 3.

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Handguns/G30S%2028RDS_zpserihsxjx.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Personal opinion:

I consider the G30S to be extremely under rated.

It is my belief that if this gun would have been introduced long before the current pendulum swing back to the 9mm (with modern ammo), it would have been one of the most popular Glocks offered. It has a lot of similarities to the Lightweight Commanders that a lot of savvy pistoleros carried "back in the day", before the onslaught of polymer.

As it is, I rarely see them mentioned as CCW pieces.

I picked mine up, due to wanting a compact big bore that could serve multiple roles. I have a cabin and spend a bunch of time in wolf/bear/lion country, so I wanted a lightweight big bore, that would be good for austere conditions of the back country, as well as be a good CCW piece for when I got back to civilization.

New Post
3/30/2017 3:18 PM

Hey Man,

Good to see you here. I keep running into you on p-f and BCUSA.

Can you run .45 Super in the Glock 30s?

New Post
3/30/2017 4:18 PM

Solid no bull comparisons. I'm an FN fan myself, but I've found for conceal carrying the handle length is more of a factor than slide thickness for me. I think there's a half inch difference between the G19 and the FNS-9, with FN being taller, and that half inch seems to disproportionately effect printing. But hey they can say they squeeze 17 rounds into the magazine instead of the paltry 15 that Glock has....

- J

New Post
3/30/2017 5:39 PM

This is all fine and good, but what it does not take into account are the "intangibles" that mainly deal with ergonomics.

I am required to qualify with my issued Glock. I must train countless others on Glock. I will however, never carry my Glock on or off duty. I will ALWAYS reach for my authorized 1911 instead. Why? Because it fits. It is ergonomic. It points. It is balanced. The sights are far more visible. It is more accurate. It is easier to shoot and shoot well. And yes, it conceals MUCH better - subjective, yes. But we allow for subjectivity in this world.

I have a good friend that much taller than I am at about 6'4" and outweighs me by a good 50-60 lbs. He loves his blocky little G30. And you know what? Great. Each to their own.

New Post
3/30/2017 6:25 PM

El Mac -

There's definitely a lot to be said about intangibles and ergos, and those are some of the reasons I never went and bought a Glock. I think looking at "the numbers" like MS did here is definitely good, sort of like looking at the numbers for picking a particular caliber, bullet weight, bullet type, or action on a hunting rifle. But it only tells part of the story, which is why one buddy can swear that the .243 is the greatest bang flop bullet for deer and another swears by his 300WM. Capacity on carry pistols always seems to be a sticky wicket - what if I need more than the 5 in my snubby? what if I need more than 8 in my 1911 (but it IS faster to reload)? Can I justify 8 rounds vs 40 for the same weight/similar size? Can I shoot my 1911 THAT much better? But then again, do I *need* 40 rounds? If the "what if" ninjas had their way I'd be concealed carrying a friggin Abrams... (I'm not really asking those questions, just thinking aloud.)

Then again we'd argue whether or not we needed to carry 10 mags on our rig + 6 in our bag or if we could carry 6 on our rig and 3 in our bag, and the former would usually win 'cause as Stalin said "quantity has a quality all of its own."

- J

New Post
3/30/2017 8:33 PM

Wose wrote:
Hey Man,

I have not run factory 45 Super loads through my G30S.

That said, I am planning on running some 250 grain wide meplat 45 loads, that might be considered +p or thereabouts, during my next loading session on the Dillon.

I have reservations about the G30S in regards to true 45 Super loads. In a standard G21 or G30, with the wider slide, (and appropriate recoil spring) it would be another story.

I intend to tread lightly and pay very close attention to everything, as I play with warm loads in the 30S, with its skinny slide.

I have had a Jarvis barrel for my G21 for many years and when combined with heavy springs, it becomes a whole other animal.

New Post
3/30/2017 8:47 PM

GoKartz wrote:
El Mac -

There's definitely a lot to be said about intangibles and ergos, and those are some of the reasons I never went and bought a Glock. I think looking at "the numbers" like MS did here is definitely good, sort of like looking at the numbers for picking a particular caliber, bullet weight, bullet type, or action on a hunting rifle. But it only tells part of the story, which is why one buddy can swear that the .243 is the greatest bang flop bullet for deer and another swears by his 300WM. Capacity on carry pistols always seems to be a sticky wicket - what if I need more than the 5 in my snubby? what if I need more than 8 in my 1911 (but it IS faster to reload)? Can I justify 8 rounds vs 40 for the same weight/similar size? Can I shoot my 1911 THAT much better? But then again, do I *need* 40 rounds? If the "what if" ninjas had their way I'd be concealed carrying a friggin Abrams... (I'm not really asking those questions, just thinking aloud.)

Then again we'd argue whether or not we needed to carry 10 mags on our rig + 6 in our bag or if we could carry 6 on our rig and 3 in our bag, and the former would usually win 'cause as Stalin said "quantity has a quality all of its own."

- J

I was just at a 1911 invitational shoot this weekend with some folks.It is/was the anniversary of the 1911 being brought into service, and a small shoot is held each year.

It was fun running my old 1911s and shooting .45s in general, as compared to the more typical G17/19s that are often trained with.

There is no doubt that there are some real Glock haters out there, who insist on a 1911 or nothing. Frankly I enjoy both, for their positive traits.

My trainer friend who hosted the 1911 shoot, calls the 1911 "The world's finest close quarters combat weapon". Then he always adds "and king of feedway stoppages". Which normally gets a few chuckles.

Good dude, and a true 1911 aficionado. Funny things is though, that these days, he more often than not carries a Glock.

New Post
3/30/2017 10:31 PM

Mackay-Sagebrush wrote:
Wose wrote:
Hey Man,

I have not run factory 45 Super loads through my G30S.

That said, I am planning on running some 250 grain wide meplat 45 loads, that might be considered +p or thereabouts, during my next loading session on the Dillon.

I have reservations about the G30S in regards to true 45 Super loads. In a standard G21 or G30, with the wider slide, (and appropriate recoil spring) it would be another story.

I intend to tread lightly and pay very close attention to everything, as I play with warm loads in the 30S, with its skinny slide.

I have had a Jarvis barrel for my G21 for many years and when combined with heavy springs, it becomes a whole other animal.

That all makes sense. I've got a Glock 20 that will reliably run 200's at 1140, all stock. I'm reasonably happy with that so I don't think I'd take the time money and effort to switch into a different field pistol, but I sometimes wonder if I should have just went with a .45 Super platform.

Curious to see how those 250's work out for you.

New Post
4/2/2017 9:19 AM

Thanks Mackay! Now I'm gonna carry my G35 today for the first time in months. My scale is on my safe at work, so won't get to check loaded weight til Tuesday. Including two of factory 22-rounders stoked -1 w our new duty ammo: Hornady 175 Critical Duty.

Recently got Blue Label 19 MOS that's still in box. Waiting for Nano from Aimpoint to start shipping and debating sight configurations. I keep my NYPD Blues two-pin G19 loaded w/ ETS 22-rounder on the mantle. They are a TN company.

New Post
4/2/2017 10:38 PM

Good to see you here Cold Case!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Some weights/comparisons between a 1911 and G34, with pics.Some weights/comparisons between a 1911 and G34, with pics.