Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Marlin 1895GBL general thoughts, and sling questionMarlin 1895GBL general thoughts, and sling question
Previous

Next
New Post
3/14/2018 5:19 AM

After many years of wanting a Marlin Guide Gun, I got one back just before Christmas. I did take a risk by getting a new in box Remington Marlin, and buying it on gunbroker, which turned out not so great: front sight was wobbling because the mounting screw was broken, rust on a couple spots, scratch on the stock, cracks in the lamination, and super wobbly lever, plus the "normal" trigger wobble, which was way more than I've seen on other Marlins. I sent it back twice, and got it back the second time in February. All in all they did fix the issues, but managed to scratch the stock while doing so. Long story short, I didn't want to send it back a third time since they screwed it up twice, so I modified it from pistol grip into a straight grip (my preference) and refinished the stock and re-blued some areas while I was at it. I touched up the action a little while I had it open as well, and it feels great now, and I'm happy with it. Since I don't know/haven't found out the year it was made, I don't know if the later Remington Marlins have fixed some of the obvious quality issues, and/or if a 2017 Marlin would have been better than this one. The fact that they royally screwed up the return twice (big time scratches on the stock the second time plus other scratches) just makes me want to cut my losses and move on, but I do not recommend a remington marlin without seeing it first. Somewhat on me, but their service was lacking.
I've carried a Winchester 94 30-30 before, and when I was a teen, a Henry lever .22 was in my hand pretty much every day. I never used slings for either, but I used a 2 point for so long with an M4 that I really like a sling.
I searched around, but didn't find what I was looking for. What kind of slings are you guys using on lever actions? What's the downside of a sling on a lever? Has anyone done a side mount like all of us seem to do on the RGS?
I've copied almost exactly the side mount two-point VCAS sling on my RGS that Ken and I think Scot have, and love it. I'm considering doing something similar, but I just don't know if it feels quite right.

New Post
3/14/2018 10:41 AM

I toyed with the idea with a more "tactical" setup for my primary Walking Around Gun, which is a Marlin 336, but wound up just putting a set of Uncle Mikes swing swivels and a 1" buffalo leather carrying sling on it. I carry it slung muzzle down on my off side shoulder and can get it into action pretty darn quick with some practice.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with your 1895. I'm thinking about buying one this fall. They tend to be $100 to $150 cheaper from places like Bud's, but I'm wondering if I should just pay the premium to examine one in the store. It's a pretty long drive for me to go to a UPS or Fedex shipping hub, so returning one would be a major hassle.

New Post
3/14/2018 12:57 PM

I love side mount slings, but there just isn't a good way to do it on a lever gun without some work. The stock is easy, just install a sling swivel cup. However If you run a stock cuff placement can be a bit hard. On the forend things get more complicated. You can do a sling swivel with careful placement, or carve in a groove under the side of the front barrel band, which lets you us the band as the attachment point.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/14/2018 6:07 PM

My Henry Big Boy came with swivel mounts, and I had a Brass Stacker sling made for it. Not sure if it qualifies as "tactical" (whatever that means...) but it's worth every penny in terms of quality and holds a full mag tube reload. 

They specialize in accessories for lever guns, and make a sling option for guns without studs as well: 

https://brassstacker.com/No-Drill-Har...ling-HENRY.html

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Marlin 1895GBL general thoughts, and sling questionMarlin 1895GBL general thoughts, and sling question