Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Snake Shot (data)Snake Shot (data)
Previous

Next
New Post
7/26/2019 3:50 PM

For the record, incase anyone was interested, the CCI 9mm 53gr #12 shot is a MUCH better perfomer on snakes than the CCI Big 4 (#4 shot) 45gr load. 

Sample size of just shy of a dozen in one outing while on a knife hog hunt in Sherman, TX.  The Big 4 load does not kills for beans.  The pattern density is just not there and the lighter load weight does not cycle the Glock like the #12 (53gr load) does. 

The #12 shot load will take a snakes head clean off at ~10'.  The Big 4 load requires 1-2 charges just to kill a snake and wont cycle a Glock.  Incase anyone was curious...

I am usually a big fan of "bigger is better" but in the 9mm stick with the blue #12 shot load not the red/orange #4.

And the Esee Junlgas continues to let the air out of feral pigs with little aplomb.  Ctrow's oldester 11yo got his first hog with the Junglas and a little guidance.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
7/28/2019 9:35 AM

Strow- good info on the snake shot, thanks.

Have you tried hunting grizzlies with the Junglas, yet?

New Post
7/28/2019 9:02 PM

I've never even seen a grizzly in the wild. You would have to be a bad dude to pull that off...and live.

New Post
7/29/2019 11:44 AM

Apparently a bunch of people in the Bushcraft™ community lobbied Speer for that load as a survival cartridge for killing small game.

It's not a good idea. It doesn't have enough shot, or enough velocity. You could probably kill a grouse or rabbit with it, but you would have to be so close you could just brain it with a stick.

Despite that, you still see it in Instagram photos of Bushcraft™ guys as a shibboleth of how cool they are.

New Post
7/29/2019 6:14 PM

Wose, their experience is obviously different than mine. The blue #12 shot was impressive. I will be buying the next 10 boxes I see. The red #4 shot I have no use for anymore. The Big #4 was neat idea...like a lot of things, until the killing starts and the numbers start to stack up. I actually wish the #12 shot load was subsonic and carried a larger dose of shot.

Truth be told standard 9mm, 22lr, or similar projectile would do just fine...IF you can consistently hit a sub 1" target at ~10' in field conditions. A RDS suppressed 22lr pistol would probably be the slickest set up.

I have a buddy in AK that swears by the CCI 22lr shotshell for small squirrel size game under 10yd. I've never done it, but it seems awful light to me.

I actually ended up killing the last copperhead with the suppressed AR as the 9mm was just to loud. You have to factor sight offset on a silver dollar sized target but it works.

New Post
7/29/2019 6:44 PM

I tried the .22 shot shells on a prairie dog. It got back in the hole wounded before I could anchor it. I then tried it on a pop bottle. Most of the bbs didn't even penetrate at short range. Soured me on shot shells period. You have me re-interested.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/30/2019 5:04 PM

My apologies, there was room for confusion in what I said, as I wasn't specific about what I was talking about.

I've found the #12 shot useful, as you've described.

My results with #4 shot mirror yours, those are the ones I was referring to. I've seen folks advocate them for small game, but I found the pattern too sparse and the shot too slow for that to be a good idea. I do wonder if different results could be obtained from a 44/45 revolver?

I've shot the .22 CCI shot loads out of a pistol at an Amazon prime box and found a fair number of pellets didn't penetrate the cardboard. 

New Post
7/31/2019 8:09 PM

Wose, I think we agree completely!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Snake Shot (data)Snake Shot (data)