Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite
Previous

Next
New Post
7/22/2013 1:20 PM

Well Gang, I just got off the Phone with McMillan and I Ordered a HTG for a "Lefty" standard pull, in Safari Camo. Only bad thing is the "Wait" I was quoted 5-6 Months :( Hopefully , I'll have it by Christmas.... I plan on DuraCoating or Alumahyding the rest of it to match. So , Now We Wait............ Ugh.

New Post
7/22/2013 5:23 PM

They wait is kind of a pain, but it is the result of a good product and high demand, which kind of lets you know you probably won't be disappointed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/3/2013 4:57 PM

Hey Scot, over on Scoutrifle , someone asked about the placement of the rear sling mounting cup. I was wondering if you felt it was too high ? I have a Andy Rhodesian Sling and didn't know if that mount should be lower on the stock ? Have you had any trouble with it getting in your way while shooting or your cheek weld ? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks, Sutty

New Post
8/5/2013 11:29 AM

I assume you mean the side sling mount? The long answer is that I have had a variety of different side sling setups over the years, and I have found a few things out about stock placement for me. I don't like a 9 or 12 o'clock placement. I have found that the rifle hangs better if it is located at 10:30 or 11, and the sling stays out of my way best. If you go with the 9 it can sometimes roll depending on optic and position, which I find annoying. The 12 location allows it to hang straight, but the sling gets in the way. The 10:30-11 location provides great hang and it is out of the way So I wanted it located further up on the side than just the exact center. The short answer is I really like the swivel cup placement on the magpul CTR so I copied it.  McMillan got it right were I wanted it, and so far it is working just like I expected it to. Still loving the rifle with the new stock.

I haven't messed with one of Andy's slings, but if I was running a Rhodesian it would be right were I run my current sling.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/5/2013 1:39 PM

Thanks Scot, I responded on Scoutrifle , before I had checked here......

Scot, do you think this cup setup will work with Andy's Rhodesian Sling ? Also , did you have to specify with Ryan at McMillan where you wanted the cups ? If so, do you mind if I copy  Roll Eyes  Thanks Brother, Sutty. 
P.S. emailed Ryan about Magazine Butt Storage ( Similar to the Steyr) he said ....... 

We haven't tried anything like that because we just haven't received enough requests for it.  

Also, we are swamped with orders so there isn't any R & D going on right now, everyone is trying to get stocks out as fast as they can.

Best Regards,

Ryan Melancon

New Post
9/28/2013 9:24 PM

That McMillan makes it looks so much better!  The GSR is now off the maybe and onto the must have list!

New Post
10/22/2013 8:17 PM

That looks awesome! Does the comb match the line of sight for the scope? I really like the way that turned out....

Credo Quia Absurdum!

New Post
10/22/2013 8:21 PM

it  does

New Post
10/22/2013 8:25 PM

You might have just cost me some money, but Mnt. Serape first...must have discipline....

Credo Quia Absurdum!

New Post
10/22/2013 9:25 PM

Interesting.  What was unquestionably one of the ugliest modern production bolt rifles ever made has taken on a non-ugly duckling profile with that new stock.

I look forward to seeing one for myself when I visit with the McMillan guys at the upcoming SCI Convention in Las Vegas.

New Post
10/23/2013 10:54 AM

Scot,

You had a diy rail/lightmount on your oem Ruger stock.  The McMillan doesn't have a provision for a weapon mounted light.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you have any work-arounds planned?

New Post
10/24/2013 3:46 PM

I already had Robert at Mountain Bear Gun Works in Bend take care of that for me. He did the same inset style in the front of the stock, but it looks a lot nicer than my work. I need to get some updated pictures. I dusted the stock to make it less glossy and red, switched the thread protector for a lower profile one, and had the light rail added. I also have some alpha magazines on the way.

New Post
10/24/2013 4:21 PM

Very cool!  Can't wait to see the pics of that.  I was starting to head down the road of a barrel mounted pic rail for my light, but I really want the combo of the McMillan with a rail mounted in it.  It took a couple of months, but since I shouldered your rifle it is only a matter of time now before I get the McMillan.  Thanks for the update, Scot.

New Post
10/24/2013 4:25 PM

I understand, the feel of a rifle is about more than the weight of the stock. I will try to get some pictures soon, Robert did a stellar job.

New Post
10/25/2013 11:06 AM

I decided to not wait and get some good back country pictures. 

Overview of current setup: YHM Thread Protector Regular contour, TLR3, Leupold VXR 1.5-5, 10rd Ruger Polymer Magazine, and stock dusted with Aerove

Rail with light

Without light

Thread protector (I did notice this one seems more rust prone than the other one.

Swivel close-up just because

New Post
10/25/2013 11:12 AM

Looks really squared away, Scot!  Pretty cool camo pattern, too....and you said you weren't a "camo guy"!  :)

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/25/2013 11:23 AM

There are camos I like, but I just don't see the need in my life, and like to be lower profile in general. Just because I almost ordered it in their Woodland camo, but that camo doesn't work that well around here and it is well, camo.  The swirl I chose was trying to get a more wood/classic look to the stock. McMillan does a McWoody stock, but being color blind their browns look like red to me, a dark kind of rust red to be fair, but red.  I don't do red, so this was something I came up with. If I had it to do again I would probably do a two tone instead of three with one dominate color and one not to far off just to break things up. As it is I have been seriously thinking about just painting it all a single color and then dusting as it still looks fairly reddish to me.

New Post
10/25/2013 12:06 PM

Most excellent!  I'll be saving my pennies to do a clone of that setup.  The rail install was the final piece I was waiting on to make a decision.  Thanks for taking the time to post up the pics.

New Post
10/25/2013 12:27 PM

Thanks for taking this on Scot, you are to be commended for seeing it through.

New Post
10/30/2013 9:52 PM

Hey Scot, just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us how much you had to give for that marvel of modern engineering? Great lookin stock man!!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite