Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereTrailsTrails
Previous

Next
New Post
11/21/2016 3:00 PM

Trails 

Looking for forum thoughts on Trail maintenance in your use area.  Who does the work and who pays for the work. 

My example: ATV and Snow Mobile trails in Montana are funded through the gas tax, and they buy stickers for there machines and there trailers (I think trailers are also stickered).  There are grants these groups apply for yearly to help with costs because they are still short and have to cut. Non-motorized trails have limited maintenance, with grant monies and volunteer labor.  The Forest Service has all but stopped maintenance because of funding cuts, and relies on outside grant monies, for Motorized and Non-Motorized in my area.

I'm a hiker/backpacker, I can't remember paying to hike a trail.  I pay gas tax like everyone else but that almost doesn't count.  I donate money for trail maintenance in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Another words we hiker types get a free ride. But the free ride is coming to an end, meaning the trails are just being closed because they are not safe or passable.  Closing trails for lack of maintenance is not acceptable.

Some like minded folks here in MT are looking to do something about the problem as we see it.  Money.  How do you "tax" hikers.  Do you ask the business folks who make outdoor gear, shoes-clothing-packs-etc. to charge a percentage and then .......... Gets messy.  Donation boxes at trailheads??

Larry

New Post
11/22/2016 8:09 PM

In GA you have to have a special permit to hunt on state WMA's.  To use the public ranges on the same WMA's, you have to buy a $10 annual permit.  Sportsman's groups have lobbied to have ALL user have to pay this nominal fee.  Northwest GA is where the ridge and valley geography starts that goes all the way up into KY and has extensive limestone caves.  Pigeon Mountain is a WMA that cavers frequent.  Numerous taxpayer funded rescues have taken place there and they don't pay one cent to use the place.

New Post
11/23/2016 5:24 AM

Besides special permits there's also federal excise taxes.

Ever buy ammo, rifles, any outdoor gear? There's FET's built into the price.

New Post
2/7/2017 1:39 PM

I like trail-less areas even better than I like road-less areas. That's probably too Hayduke of a perspective, but there it is.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/7/2017 2:38 PM

evanhill wrote:
I like trail-less areas even better than I like road-less areas. That's probably too Hayduke of a perspective, but there it is.

That's because you live in the arid west.  Back east you'd be saying, "OMG, I hope there's a trail ahead".

New Post
2/7/2017 3:23 PM

Sort of... it's true that in the Cascades there are a lot of places you can't go without maintained trails. There's a reason there wasn't much indigenous use of those mountains. Back east probably the same. What tends to erase trails out here is blowdowns and also rampant spring growth. The spring growth can usually be navigated just fine without the trail. Oak brush would be an exception. That's usually pretty hard to bushwack through. The blowdowns make travel extremely difficult. What you end up with out here with no trail maintenance is plenty of game trails where it makes sense to travel, and pretty difficult travel where it makes little sense to travel. But if you can bull through the difficult to travel places sometimes you can get through to easier travel again. Off trail, my speed often drops to a mile an hour or less.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/7/2017 3:45 PM

On the west side of Bob Marshall, off-trail travel is extremely tough due to the undergrowth.  There are trails there because of horse packers. My daughter and I were looking for a trail to a high lake that appeared on the map to be above timberline.  We missed the trail.  Later down in town, I asked a local if he'd ever been to that lake and he said he hadn't, and most likely we missed the trail because the local horse packers stopped using it for some reason.  He said the trails all but dissapear after a season or two on no horse travel.  On the east side (other side of the Continental Divide) off-trail looks like it wouldn't be bad at all.

New Post
2/8/2017 11:35 AM

evanhill wrote:

WWGHD? isn't a bad perspective to inform one's choices.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereTrailsTrails