Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereNorth Rim - Grand CanyonNorth Rim - Grand Canyon
Previous

Next
New Post
8/5/2017 6:42 AM

Greetings all,

I have maintained lurker status on this board for a few years now and have found much value in discussions here.   Thanks to all the contributors.  Special thanks to the Hill brothers for the Longhouse video series.  Very nice.

On August 18 I will be driving from Phoenix to the North Rim where I will hang out until heading back on August 21 (the day of the eclipse).  This trip has just come together for me so I am working hard to get squared away for this.  Due to the various campsites and permitted locations being full, the current plan calls for camping in the National Forest and then packing up each day to go hit trails inside the canyon-proper.  Not looking to get all crazy with things this time around, just some extended scouting in anticipation of coming back with the family later (I'm solo this time around).  

Any suggestions as to where in the NF to camp would be appreciated (currently thinking to hit a side road, park the rental car and hike up near the peak of a hill).  Will be using a hammock and tarp.  The temps look delightful although I understand this is the rainy season there.  Looks like showers/storms generally blow through fairly quick, yes?

Any intel or pointers on local conditions and places to hit would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

New Post
8/5/2017 4:05 PM

Your camping plan sounds reasonable to me. Pretty much have to play it by ear in situations like that. During monsoon season, thunderstorms usually pass within a couple of hours. Sometimes they settle in and don't clear up until morning. I'll give Kevin the heads up on this thread, I think he knows that area.

Working on the long overdue Land Navigation video as we speak -- lots of work goes into some of these and this is one of them. Glad you like them.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/6/2017 3:08 PM

Tensaw, I have spent a few weeks in that area for hunts, but it was mostly off the east side of the plateau. I haven't spent much in the way of time on top, but it was pretty thick from what I remember so finding a place to stretch a hammock shouldn't be too hard. There should be plenty of places to camp up there in general after you hit Jacob Lake. There is plenty of great country to check out off the east side if you get a wild hair.

New Post
8/7/2017 9:30 AM

I actually haven't spent as much time at the Grand Canyon as I would like, especially growing up so close to it. Most of my hiking and camping has been on the Supai part of the canyon, and mostly South Rim. The only time I've been to the North Rim area is when I was fighting a fire just a couple miles north of the actual canyon ( Lots of arrowheads out in the Pinyon-Juniper woodland). The storms may be quick (maybe not) but they are intense with lightning in that area. I would personally avoid high ground if stroms were about. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereNorth Rim - Grand CanyonNorth Rim - Grand Canyon