Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereUTE SAR packUTE SAR pack
Previous

Next
New Post
6/29/2016 9:31 AM

Ive been playing around with different setups for my SAR pack for a while. Whenever I stray away from HPG I quickly return because for my body type I haven’t found a suspension system that fits me better than the HPG belt and shoulder system.

For a short time went away from using the UTE as my main pack because I wanted a few more outer pockets for organization. Well the simple fix for this need was attaching the tara pocket with a tara insert and with attached organization pouches. Problem solved. Small items that I need quick access to such headlamp, GPS, notebook as well as my wallet/keys/phone go in the tara insert. The prairie belt has plenty of room for a GI water bottle and 16 oz water bottle pocket on one side (the 16oz pocket I use to hold bear spray) and a organization pouch with rehydration electrolyte packs, and a few other essentials on the other. The main pouch easily swallows up everything else.

The beauty of the tara pocket used as a compression panel is that it can be used to carry odd shaped mission dependent items such as a small chain saw, folded litter, ropes, extra med pack….. the options are limitless.

If you notice in the pic I went with electrical tape on all the j hooks that I don’t want to come off. This is working extremely well.

Last night we did some rope work. I wanted to try a different carry method besides putting the ropes between the tara pocket and the ute so I stacked two rope bags (660 feet of rope) on the top of the ute and strapped them down. I mainly wanted to try to get the extra weight over my center of gravity. It was only about a 1.5 mile approach to the rock face but the rope bags didn’t shift one bit. The pack is a little tippy when set up like that but worked and carried just fine.

Anyway lots of typing just to say the HPG designs are truly diverse and can be used in lots of different ways, it just takes a little imagination and trial and error.

I just snapped one pic of the rope set up before we started walking out.

New Post
6/29/2016 10:44 AM

Nice!  Always good to see HPG packs set up for action jobs and morph'ed for an end-user's needs!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/29/2016 4:02 PM

Thanks! I have been trying to find photos that contrast the difference between the ranger green ute's and foliage. Your picture helps. I am also trying to figure out if I should go with a Ute or Q'ya and this gives me other thoughts on loadout control. So back to the decision flow charts.

New Post
6/29/2016 4:35 PM

Elk Chaser60 wrote:

Thanks! I have been trying to find photos that contrast the difference between the ranger green ute's and foliage. Your picture helps. I am also trying to figure out if I should go with a Ute or Q'ya and this gives me other thoughts on loadout control. So back to the decision flow charts.

Glad it helped!  My opinion on size. For me and the way I pack, the ute is size for up to 3, maybe 5 day trip in milder weather. If you strap your shelter and sleep system on the outside you will have a ton of room for everything else.  For a longer trip or winter weather i would want something bigger. I havent handled the Q'ya yet but it looks like it will fit the longer load out/ cold weather trip very well.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereUTE SAR packUTE SAR pack