Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsClassifiedsClassifiedsHPG/Kifaru set up ready to rock - Hunting frame, Highlander, C25M and Compression Kit!HPG/Kifaru set up ready to rock - Hunting frame, Highlander, C25M and Compression Kit!
Previous

Next
New Post
9/7/2012 12:50 PM

Put this together recently to try out, but I don't think its for me. Great deal for someone looking to get in on the big HPG pack set up in one bang, save a few bucks and not have to wait on a frame from Kifaru.

Included are:

- Hunting/Long Hunter duplex frame in OD. Has seen some use but in excellent condition. I purchased this second hand and was told that it is a standard size waistbelt, padded w/ no PALs. The gun bearer attachment for the frame has been removed. 26" AL stays.

- HPG Highlander in Ranger Green

- HPG Compression Kit in Ranger Green

- HPG C25M in Ranger green

The HPG stuff has seen very light use - basically like new. 

New, this set up would run you $581 plus shipping. I'll let it go for $500, shipping within the CONUS included (guessing around $20 value). Great deal.

New Post
9/8/2012 4:15 PM

I'm really curious why "you don't think this is for you".  Maybe if you are looking for something lighter for hiking, then why did you buy this in the first place?  Also, Kifaru makes waist belts in various sizes, not "standard".

New Post
9/8/2012 6:00 PM

I believe it's the medium size belt then. Was told the belt was good for 34" to 40" waist. I'm around a 38" and it does fine.

I bought the k-frame and HPG pack system because I wanted to give it a try out. Having done so, it's helped me figure out a few things that I'm looking for in a large pack - for example, a panel loader style over a top loader. 

It's not a "must sell" deal - it's a solid design for sure, but if there's someone out there looking for this setup ready to go, I wouldn't mind freeing up the cash to try out something else.

New Post
9/9/2012 11:36 AM

A panel loader?  For a large pack?  Are you looking for a pack or a suitcase/luggage?

Question;  how do you propose waterproofing your sleeping bag and clothing with a panel loader.  I hope you have enough experience to realize a mere stuffsack is far from enough.

Here is how I do it.  I use a Hefty trash compactor liner (Ace Hardware) to line the pack.  The sleeping bag, in a sea to summit roll top, goes in first (the bottom) then my rolled up XS thermarest, and one or two 10L roll tops go in next containing season appropriate clothing.  Then the top of the bag is twisted closed and tucked down the side.  For stream crossings, canoeing or packrafting, the top of the bag can be twisted shut and "candy-caned" with rubber bands.  The rest of my gear goes on top of this, as it doesn't need additional waterproofing, IE cook kit and food bag.

Please explain how you would accomplish this with a panel loader.  I'll answer for you, it ain't gonna work.  Try it and you'll snag the liner with the zipper.  BTDT.  Early in my outdoor/backpacking life (34yr ago) I owned a North Face panel loading frame pack. I sold it after a couple of trips.

New Post
9/9/2012 12:59 PM

Actually, I like panel loaders a lot and they can be packed quite effectively.

I use smaller trash or heavy duty zip loc bags which keeps everything clean and dry and also well-organized. Yeah, you might snag a bag with the zipper iff you aren't careful when zipping it up, but I haven't had problems with that. One of these days, I plan on making some silnylon bags for soemthing a bit more durable.

I also like top loaders. To each his own, I guess.

Alex, you could keep the frame and get an AG1 (It would be a little off as the AG1 is designed for a 24" frame), or you could mount a Siwash, Navigator, Maruader, etc on the LH with a custom harness I made up, or have someting custom made up.

PM sent

New Post
9/9/2012 6:11 PM

Take-a-knee wrote

A panel loader?  For a large pack?  Are you looking for a pack or a suitcase/luggage?

Question;  how do you propose waterproofing your sleeping bag and clothing with a panel loader.  I hope you have enough experience to realize a mere stuffsack is far from enough.

Here is how I do it.  I use a Hefty trash compactor liner (Ace Hardware) to line the pack.  The sleeping bag, in a sea to summit roll top, goes in first (the bottom) then my rolled up XS thermarest, and one or two 10L roll tops go in next containing season appropriate clothing.  Then the top of the bag is twisted closed and tucked down the side.  For stream crossings, canoeing or packrafting, the top of the bag can be twisted shut and "candy-caned" with rubber bands.  The rest of my gear goes on top of this, as it doesn't need additional waterproofing, IE cook kit and food bag.

Please explain how you would accomplish this with a panel loader.  I'll answer for you, it ain't gonna work.  Try it and you'll snag the liner with the zipper.  BTDT.  Early in my outdoor/backpacking life (34yr ago) I owned a North Face panel loading frame pack. I sold it after a couple of trips.

Wow, never been flamed in a sales thread before.

How would I water proof a panel loader? A pack cover and dry bags.

Not really interested in defending my pack tastes/preferences here. There are lots of popular panel loaders or hybrid top/panel loaders on the market, so it's not a crazy idea. Lots of people like them. If they are not your cup of tea, that's cool. Different stuff works for different folks.

New Post
9/10/2012 10:08 AM

Different stuff works for different folks.

Exactly. I've used a panel loader and like them myself in some ways. Heck, the Highlander is essentially a panel loader for your immediate at hand items. Panel loaders have to be packed differently than top loaders and are greatly aided by a rigid frame. I don't know well enough what is out there to say, but if you can put a panel loading pack bag on Kifaru frame, it will work very well.

The system that Alex is selling won't be everybody's cup of tea either. There are advantages to the setup (flexibility in loadout), but the disadvantage is that it requires more configuration by the end user and will weigh a little bit more than something purpose built. That's why we decided to do the Ute before moving on to our external -- to give folks the option of a purpose built lighter weight internal that incorporates some of the flexibility of our pack bag system.

Good luck with your sale Alex.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/13/2012 9:56 PM

I'm interested in buying your CM25 if you want to part it out.  You should list all this stuff at the Kifaru board if you haven't already.   I can't believe someone hasn't bought this whole setup yet.

New Post
9/16/2012 3:24 AM

firecog wrote

Actually, I like panel loaders a lot and they can be packed quite effectively.

Alex, you could keep the frame and get an AG1 (It would be a little off as the AG1 is designed for a 24" frame), or you could mount a Siwash, Navigator, Maruader, etc on the LH with a custom harness I made up, or have someting custom made up.

Firecog,

please do tell more! I am trying to figure out how to attach a Siwash on a LH frame in a way that  will work.

Thnx,

New Post
9/16/2012 1:48 PM

mt,
sent you a PM

New Post
9/16/2012 2:50 PM

Firecoq,

pm reply sent.

m

New Post
10/2/2012 4:32 PM

Is this take-a-knee guy serious? Haha.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsClassifiedsClassifiedsHPG/Kifaru set up ready to rock - Hunting frame, Highlander, C25M and Compression Kit!HPG/Kifaru set up ready to rock - Hunting frame, Highlander, C25M and Compression Kit!