Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Mountain ParkaHPG Mountain Parka
Previous

Next
New Post
8/3/2016 10:38 AM

Any updates on the Mountain Parka? Fingers crossed we'll see this garment on the products page this year.

New Post
8/3/2016 4:23 PM

Switching to a facility in TX that is more geared up to do raincoats than the outfit producing Windcheaters is. Don't know what the time impact of that will be.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/11/2016 2:41 PM

Hope I am not being pushy, but any updates?

New Post
11/11/2016 2:44 PM

See the post above yours.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/22/2016 2:29 AM

#parkaclockreset

New Post
11/22/2016 8:49 PM

360joules wrote:
#parkaclockreset

Ya it's been a long time coming but you know with HPG it'll be bombproof when they bring it to market. 

New Post
11/22/2016 9:08 PM

I really need to replace my ancient shell layer, but I'm going to push this one through one more South West Washington rain season because I'm curious how the Mountain Parka is going to shape up. 

If someone had told me a year ago I would be doing that, I wouldn't have believed it, as I'm not very brand loyal. But the two pieces of HPG I've bought this year have worked out so well for me I think I'll hold out to see what form the Mountain Parka takes.

New Post
1/25/2017 1:33 AM

How has the Neoshell fabric been holding up?

I've heard great things about it (breathes better than eVent etc.), except that after 24 washings it really loses it's waterproofing (10,000+mm down to 5,000mm).

https://www.discoverytrekking.com/pdfs/neoshell.pdf

A lot of people don't even consider 10,000mm that great of a waterproof level (high winds, pressure of pack straps etc.)

http://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

For comparison eVent is 10,000-30,000mm+ depending on the layers.

New Post
1/25/2017 6:49 AM

We got an update on the Parka on Friday. What we thought would be a shipping date for the latest production sample was bad news. Basically, that company got a big contract that will take up all of their production facilities for the foreseeable future so they will not be able to move forward with our Parka. That means we are back to square one essentially on getting it produced.

Both samples have been at various factories for awhile trying to get it into production. That being said for the time used we have not seen any difference between the eVent one and the Neoshell one in performance other than the Neoshell is lighter weight and more compact for packing. It would take me something like + years to wash a waterproof layer 24 time, and that is pre Windcheater when I was wearing one actively for hiking in. I washed it once or twice a year to get the sweat out and typically always do a DWR treatment as part of the wash anyway. I can't remember ever washing some of my water proof jackets as they don't get hiked in.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/26/2017 9:04 PM

Thank you for the update.

I agree, I rarely use/wash my hard shells.

Have you noticed any appreciable difference between eVent and Neoshell in terms of pressure points (pack straps)  and wetting out?

Thanks again. 

New Post
1/27/2017 3:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully it happens someday. I've been trying to hold out for one of these. I use a hardshell "parka" quite a bit during the deep winter in Wyo. Being snow proof is nice! I know the HPG version will be awesome when it's done someday.

Thanks for the update!

New Post
1/28/2017 12:19 PM

Domestique wrote:
How has the Neoshell fabric been holding up?

I've heard great things about it (breathes better than eVent etc.), except that after 24 washings it really loses it's waterproofing (10,000+mm down to 5,000mm).

https://www.discoverytrekking.com/pdfs/neoshell.pdf

A lot of people don't even consider 10,000mm that great of a waterproof level (high winds, pressure of pack straps etc.)

http://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

For comparison eVent is 10,000-30,000mm+ depending on the layers.

I find those numbers hard  to swallow, in the shelter world at least 1500mm is the bare minimum/not that great level of waterproofing that strong winds or hard rains can overcome. 3000mm is a pretty darn good fly fabric, but maybe not enough for a floor. As far as I know a 200lb+ man kneeling can't produce enough force to overcome 4000mm waterproofing on a tent floor, so I have my doubts if backpack straps could force water through a 5000mm membrane. There still is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the WPB world, and I've heard of things like body oils allowing water to be wicked through some of the membranes but there are so many poorly documented anecdotes it is hard to separate fact from imagination.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Mountain ParkaHPG Mountain Parka

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear