Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape
Previous

Next
New Post
9/25/2015 11:51 AM

Has anyone has tried zipping an original MS to a medium sized one? Just curious how well/if at all it works. I'm mainly asking because I'm planning to get one soon and I'm afraid my wife will end up claiming it... So, I figure I'll need to get her one of her own eventually but she is much smaller than me (5' 3" vs 6' 3") and the medium would probably suit her better. And of course, the fact they can zip together for "cuddling" is a huge selling point for her!

New Post
10/20/2015 7:58 PM

Any chance someone can say if the 717 stuff sack works well for the medium serape too? Or does it leave too much space in it?

New Post
10/27/2015 1:10 PM

How much smaller does the medium Serape pack down compared to the original? Has anyone tried it in a Kifaru Small 3 String stuff sack?

New Post
10/27/2015 2:22 PM

the medium doesn't pack down a whole lot smaller. don't know about a 3 string.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
10/27/2015 3:20 PM

jeffh0214 wrote:
How much smaller does the medium Serape pack down compared to the original? Has anyone tried it in a Kifaru Small 3 String stuff sack?

I keep my standard Serape in a large 3 string, if that helps. It fills it pretty well. 

New Post
12/2/2015 2:35 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:

This is the way to go, IMO, esp. now that dri-down is available:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/sierra-stealth/

You sew omni tape to the collar of a vest and keep the chill off with the hood

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/down-hood/

You then have the option to use the hood while wearing the quilt poncho style (attatched to the vest/jacket OR the quilt, and attatched to the garment while using the quilt conventionally to sleep.

I'v got a sierra sniveler with activ-dri down. 

Its a great bit of kit but theres no way i'd use it in damp and light rain conditions as i do the serape. To me the active-dri is just a little extra that for $10 or so, it cant hurt, i'd  still treat it like any other down garment

the MS is a serape that can be a quilt and the sierra is a quilt that can be a serape 

The down hood and sleeves from jRb look good too

New Post
12/3/2015 3:14 PM

I have both the JRB Sierra Stealth and the HPG Serape. I use the Stealth only in dry conditions and usually only when I am using my hammock. Now that I have the Serape I take it every time I go out and love it. Much more robust and no issues with the down shifting like you get with the Stealth. I like the Stealth but the Serape is much better and safer choice in the woods. 

New Post
12/3/2015 4:13 PM

cwhart8605 wrote:
Has anyone has tried zipping an original MS to a medium sized one? Just curious how well/if at all it works. I'm mainly asking because I'm planning to get one soon and I'm afraid my wife will end up claiming it... So, I figure I'll need to get her one of her own eventually but she is much smaller than me (5' 3" vs 6' 3") and the medium would probably suit her better. And of course, the fact they can zip together for "cuddling" is a huge selling point for her!

Was this ever answered elsewhere? I too am in the same boat. 

want to get the lady friend a serape in medium. Curious if they will still zip together with an original Serape

New Post
12/3/2015 5:53 PM

I just tried zipping a medium and large together and and it works, although not flawlessly. As you'd imagine, the size large side is longer from foot to head. Also, where the two zipper halves come together down in the footbox, the medium side is flat, but the large side has a big "U" of material left in the center. If you use it with the size large on the bottom and the size medium on top, I don't think either thing will be a functional issue.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/7/2015 1:04 PM

Thanks Evan !

New Post
12/7/2015 7:45 PM

Good to know Evan, now it's going to be awfully tempting to order a couple during the holiday sale!

New Post
1/22/2016 12:47 PM

With all this talk about putting two of these together and all the days of single digit temps we've had lately I'm wondering if there is a possibility of a heavier serape, say one with 6 oz primaloft instead of 2.4? 

New Post
8/15/2016 10:33 AM

Hey all,

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd put this hear rather than starting a new thread. I've been trying to figure out the temperature tolerances of the serape. I seem to recall Scot and Evan talking about getting down into the 40s, but I also realize that everyone sleeps different, and different sleeping conditions can affect how well a particular insulator works.

The hood is incredibly warm. I have a wool brimmed hat, and the hood instantly heats my head much much warmer than that wool hat. The closest I can describe it is if you were to wear a fleece beanie and run for a few miles in it. Maybe I'm just a hot head (aha ha), but that's my experience.

The coldest I've used this as my only source of insulation so far has been 68F with a slight breeze. I was only wearing a pair of lightweight running shorts, and I only woke up chilly once, and that was because it had slipped off while I slept. After repositioning it, I didn't wake up again until I woke up (if that makes sense), and I was quite toasty. During this time, I had it zipped in the half sleeping bag configuration, which is one of my favorite things about this (the other being when you clip the hooks in front of you like a watch coat - both are phenomenal features, and make it well worth purchasing it, in my opinion).

So far I have only one other comment I'd like to make. I have seemingly perpetual cold feet. I could wear wool socks during the summer and I'd still have chilly toes. This thing ... Keeps them warm. Both when I use it as a half-zip bag, and when I simply put it over my sockless feet at home.

I'll be making some more updates to this as I have the ability to test it out. Hopefully y'all don't mind me using this thread for personal reasons, and hopefully others will find my experiences useful, especially in determining whether the serape is right for you and/or how you might use it. Hopefully in the next two months I'll have a chance to use it down a little lower (hopefully low 60s/high 50s) a couple times, as well as see how it handles hammock camping.

- J

New Post
9/14/2016 10:24 AM

Just placed an order for one. Can't wait to give it a try!

New Post
1/9/2017 3:56 PM

This has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of winter range gear. Past couple of times I've been at the range it's been high teens or low 20s, and today it was 17 when I got there with snow and ice on the ground. Most of my range time I'm prone and stationary; I put this on and wear it like an overcoat, while I wear a beanie, a shirt and pants, and a base layer. No jacket. I have yet to be cold, even lying there (on a mat) in the snow like this morning. Could I do the same with my down jacket? Probably, but then my legs might get chilly and I'd have to buy some insulated pants... anyways - great piece of gear I find more uses for.

- J

New Post
1/20/2017 7:26 PM

Does anyone have a longterm reviews on the durability of Primaloft Gold?

I've always steered clear of the more delicate Gold insulation for hard use, constant stuffing/unstuffing.

I love the attention to detail and design of the HPG Serape (multiple uses instead of just a quilt)... but find myself drawn towards the Kifaru version based on insulation..

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear