Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi Side pocket modUmlindi Side pocket mod
Previous

Next
New Post
2/22/2017 10:54 AM

I do not expect anyone to do this of course. I wanted large side pockets with minimal weight penalty, kind of like a massive bottle pocket on the lindi or the Kifaru style bellows side pocket. Planned it out and decided it was a go, removed the side panels of my new lindi and put together the fabric (foliage cordura) for the pocket (new side panel and bellowd pocket). had a local expert do some finishing and stitch it in. Very pleased with the result, probably an extra 10L either side. I wish this was standard :)

New Post
2/22/2017 1:24 PM

nice mod. Im glad you got it worked out for your needs.

New Post
2/22/2017 1:26 PM

Whoever did the mod for you did it very well, and it is nicely designed. Just keep in mind that in general you are better off going up than to the side, and either is better than going out. You want to keep the weigth as close to your center of gravity as possible, also a narrower pack makes it easier to fit through tight spaces.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/2/2017 12:23 AM

I like this a lot. Any suggestions on a sewer that could do this for me?

New Post
3/2/2017 12:28 AM

Also, did your Umlindi come with the three tab loops on the front? Mine only has the center tab loop and single top strap. Do I need to buy a new version?

New Post
3/6/2017 2:06 PM

Better pics of my mod

The extra top tabs were added, as was a no8 zip on the internal pocket.

Im very happy with this mod as it takes my umlindi from 30L stock, to 50L with the side pockets, to 60L with my tarapocket on the back, to 80L with my kifaru medium roll top pod on top. Makes it more versatile than it was.

Pocket build was done by me by removing the side panels and making a pattern out of paper. Putting the bellows pattern on top and getting the folds/positioning correct then cutting the bellows to match the side panel pattern. My guy just needed to put some edge binding on the top edge, stitch on the strap guides, install the grommet and stitch the panel back in. He had to detach the front panel from the top to get this to work but he is a perfectionist (based in SEAsia)

I honestly wish this was standard as its just a longer bottle pocket with deeper folds!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUmlindi Side pocket modUmlindi Side pocket mod

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear