Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGCanvas kit bagsCanvas kit bags
Previous

Next
New Post
8/9/2016 8:06 PM

I've seen an prototype of an waxed canvas kit bag, but haven't seen one offered.

Will these be offered in the future or offered on an special run?

New Post
8/10/2016 7:23 AM

oldpinecricker wrote:

I've seen an prototype of an waxed canvas kit bag, but haven't seen one offered.

Will these be offered in the future or offered on an special run?

Where did you this prototype?  I would like to see that....

New Post
8/10/2016 7:57 AM

Ironically, Evan and I talked about this yesterday or the day before. We did the prototype for Andy of 5Col as a test case. You can see pictures on Bushcraft USA in his sub-forum. We had planned to do a special run for him based on feedback, but basically all special runs got placed on hold while we got everything back in stock, which as most have seen took a long time. We are just starting to re-visit those special runs. It will be a special run available through Andy, but I don't have a time line on when.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/10/2016 8:21 AM

We just got pricing which was the bottleneck. As Scot said, this will be an exclusive with 5col. Now that we have pricing, I would expect to see these available through 5col in a couple of months.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/11/2016 5:47 AM

The waxed canvas looks good, who do we bother for a special run of wool??

New Post
8/11/2016 7:47 AM

Lab-Roamer wrote:
The waxed canvas looks good, who do we bother for a special run of wool??

Wool would be fantastic-never thought of that

New Post
8/11/2016 8:00 AM

Yep, I think they would sell well with the hunting crowd and Bushcraft folks.

New Post
1/24/2017 9:06 PM

It was whispered once that there was a mystery. A rumor of a 'Waxed Canvas' Kit bag. A few said that they had seen it, but none knew where. Or if it was real...

Ok...enough. Andy from 5COL (a fine firm right here in Durham, NC) got a run of them made for the Bushcraft USA group as a special purchase item only available to members and through 5COL. They sold out 'tout suite' as my grandmother would say. I saw someone mention it here and reached out to Andy about it. 

https://5col.com/collections/kit-bags/products/hill-people-gear-waxed-canvas-kit-bag

So. An original pattern HPG Kit Bag in Waxed canvas. Hmm...Advantages?

More Waterproof than just water resistant. The waxed coyote color is even less 'tactical' than just a nylon Coyote or any of the other colors. Canvas has a nicer 'hand' feel to it as well as being a bit quieter in practice than cordura. But the main advantage in my eyes. My foliage Original kit bag just seems to scream 'GUN' to folks.  So I was totally sold on the idea. But...there was none to be had. Or was there?

I reached out to Andy and he was happy to tell me that the original prototype was wandering around a BCUSA Gathering and then to a user in Ohio to make a Youtube Video review of the bag. Here is the review and the video. https://prepared-wanderer.com/2016/12/14/hill-people-gear-kit-bag-prototype-waxed-canvas/

And then Andy said the magic words...

"Once he’s done we’ll have him send it your way.  I don’t have an ETA for that, but shouldn’t take too long.  Sound good?"

Yes, that does sound good. And I am glad to say I have said item in my grubby lil paws as I type. Doesn't look any worse for the wear. Could use a touchup of the wax treatment. But as with anything HPG or First Spear, it could easily go another 20 years or so before it needs any REAL service. I am taking it out with me for a few days shooting (photos) at Lake Mattamuskeet this weekend and hope to have some photos and a comparison between the waxed canvas and my cordura bag, along with a general review on the blog on my photo website WWW.TimberSnakeStudios.com next week.

Oh and how does it LOOK after being passed around to a bunch of wild bushcrafters?

Waxed Canvas Kit Bag

New Post
1/25/2017 12:12 PM

Dude. I'm totally a sucker for waxed canvas. That looks awesome. Do you know if they're planning any more runs? - J

New Post
1/27/2017 4:36 PM

Yes, please make this a standard Item!

New Post
1/28/2017 2:26 PM

Also expand the waxed cotton to the tarahumara. 👍

New Post
2/6/2017 7:34 AM

I would buy a waxed canvas umlindi

New Post
2/6/2017 9:52 AM

zdr wrote:

Already planning on it

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/6/2017 1:03 PM

Evan... you're killing me. I guess I better start saving... - J

New Post
2/11/2017 11:38 AM

evanhill wrote:

zdr wrote:

Already planning on it

You  just made my day!

New Post
2/23/2017 9:44 PM

https://5col.com/products/hill-people-gear-waxed-canvas-kit-bag

Looks like they'v got them back in stock.

New Post
2/28/2017 5:18 PM

bc99 wrote:
https://5col.com/products/hill-people-gear-waxed-canvas-kit-bag

Looks like they'v got them back in stock.

Thanks for the link.  My wallet just got lighter.  Kit bag and Tara ordered  :)

New Post
3/2/2017 8:29 AM

I'm so glad I stopped by here today... Just ordered one! I'll have to set it up for my next fishing excursion. (And I'll now have a place to put a camera so I can show y'all the Caney!)

New Post
3/9/2017 4:30 AM

The waxed canvas Tara had the old logo!! At least the one in the pic did. :)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGCanvas kit bagsCanvas kit bags

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear