Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill My Pistol Fit?Will My Pistol Fit?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/7/2015 1:19 PM

I love my kitbag but purchased a 5.5" ruger super blackhawk and was given a 6" s&w model 19 square butt. Both can be crammed in the bag, but the draw stroke is not smooth at all and the zippers hang up on the hammer spurs on both guns. I purchased a koala lite and both fit just fine but the pack footprint is so big that it gets a little warmer than I would prefer.

New Post
7/27/2015 7:19 PM

In case anyone wonders. G34 With X300 Ultra and +6 mags fits!!!

New Post
8/31/2015 8:36 PM

I see the Glock 20 with a 6" barrel fits...I assume the Glock 40 MOS with a 6" barrel would fit the recon pack? What about with an optic? Plotting things out - no room for error! Thanks!

New Post
9/26/2015 11:41 AM

DirtyApe wrote:
I see the Glock 20 with a 6" barrel fits...I assume the Glock 40 MOS with a 6" barrel would fit the recon pack? What about with an optic? Plotting things out - no room for error! Thanks!

Glock 40 MOS with TRL-1 &  Arrendondo +4 mag ext. fits perfectly!

New Post
10/13/2015 7:04 PM

I think it already goes without saying, seeing some of the other handguns in this thread, but the 5" Tactical XD series will fit in the kit bag, no problem...

New Post
1/19/2016 9:03 PM

Decided to see how each of my handguns fit in my original kit bag today. Based on what has already been listed, no surprise to anyone these fit perfectly:

Smith and Wesson m&p 9c
Smith and Wesson 442 with hogue grip
Ruger sr1911 cmd
Ruger gp100 3" barrel (compact Lett style grips)

Also fitting are:
Browning buckmark 5.5" barrel
1895 nagant revolver (don't know why anyone would conceal this but it does fit nicely)
Ruger new vaquero 5.5" barrel (VERY snug and the zipper wants to hang up on the hammer spur and the bottom point on the grip wedges into the corner of the compartment so you won't be winning any quick draws, but it does fit)
Ruger gp100 6" barrel (very snug fit with the original Lett style grips, not a very quick or smooth draw. Highly doubt it fits at all with the massive factory hogue grips. Out of curiosity I tried it with the compact grips and though it was still snug, the draw stroke was actually not too bad and with a little practice I think I would feel confident I could get to it about as fast as I can the other well fitting guns. Not a bad option if you feel the need for the extra horsepower the 6" will give the .357 and don't care that the grips look almost comically small...)

And kinda off topic, but I'm curious if/how anyone carries a speedloader in the kit bag for revolver reloads.

New Post
1/20/2016 5:14 AM

Re: carrying speed loaders for revolver. I have a heavy recon that usually has a 3" SP101 in it. Sometimes a K frame S&W goes in. Usual reload is 2 speed strips with +P .38's. I tried a double magazine pouch in the middle pocket, but it carried neither speed strips or hks speed loaders well.
So I took some fabric and sewed up a small double pouch with a little velcro 'hook' on the back. It's not fancy, but it doesn't take up as much room as the previous system, everything fits and stays in place, and retrieval is easy.
Mike

New Post
1/25/2016 7:26 AM

Has anyone been able to stick a RMR equipped compact Glock (19/23/32) into a Snubby OP?

New Post
1/25/2016 7:32 AM

A G19 with high profile sights has trouble fitting into a Snubby/OG Snubby. I don't know about a G26 with RMR, but the 19 size definitely won't fit. For a pistol that size the full footprint ones are definitely the way to go.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/25/2016 8:18 AM

I'm too small for the full footprint unfortunately. I have been happily running a OG Snubby for the last several months without issue. I'm getting my slide milled out later this year and despite the tight fit around my 23 it looked like there might be just enough space for an optic. No matter, that won't stop me from using my Snubby.

New Post
1/25/2016 8:28 AM

I have been wrong before, please update us when you know.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/6/2016 9:27 AM

HK VP9 fits with room to spare!

New Post
8/13/2016 10:29 AM

I'll hopefully be able to post pictures soon, but I can in fact fit a compact Glock with a RMR and XC1 in a Snubby OP.

New Post
12/4/2016 6:02 AM

For those who use a Snubby and would like to carry a .45, an M&P 45c fits nicely. An XD Mod2 will also work.

New Post
3/11/2017 12:08 AM

HI all - awesome gear, very likely to order something - let me know if there is a reseller in the Nordics (if not, we're interested).

In any case, which hest pack do you recommend for slightly larger handguns - say on the largest end Mark 23, Sig Sauer X-Six, ...

Many thanks.

New Post
3/15/2017 10:35 AM

Our largest pack is the Original Kit Bag, but I am not familiar with the X-Six and it has been years since I handled a Mk23. The Original will take up to a 4" N-Frame or 5" Singlel-Action revolver depending on the grips and sights.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGWill My Pistol Fit?Will My Pistol Fit?

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear