Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape
Previous

Next
New Post
3/16/2017 3:02 PM

I LOVE my serape! It is one of the coolest, most revolutionary pieces of outdoor gear I have ever bought, hands down! I have noticed that it has gotten a little less warm over the years, but I've ridden it hard, and its still pretty dang warm. My wife also has one that has a lot less miles on it. I don't know about zipping a full-size and a medium together, but zipping two full-sized together produces a nice two-person sleeping bag in our case. I keep mine in a Kifaru XL ultralight pull-out. Its roomy enough that I don't feel like its over-compressing it. I pair it with an exped poncho, and a paclight goretex jacket that is a little too big. That way if its really stormin I can put the serape on, and gather it up inside the jacket. Or I can just wear it under the poncho, or whichever combo I need. (I'm anxiously awaiting an HPG Mountain Parka to replace the gore-tex! ;) I carry these three pretty much everytime I hike anywhere in southwest Wyo. I used to think about how uncomfortable an un-planned overnight would be, but now I don't even worry about it. Between the serape, poncho and some well-placed fire reflectors, I think I could ride out a LOT of weather in relative comfort.

I recently bought one of those orange thermal sleeping bag liners from sea-to-summit, I'm going to try that in conjunction with my serape for a summertime sleeping bag system this year. I've spent a lot of nights out in summer with just the serape, most of the time its fine, but sometimes its just a touch chilly, so hopefully this will give me a little more edge.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGMountain SerapeMountain Serape

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear