Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEquipage Level 2 - Go BagEquipage Level 2 - Go Bag
Previous

Next
New Post
7/21/2014 8:51 PM

Equipage Taxomony Overview

Level 2 In Detail

Summary: This level is qualitatively different than levels 1.5 and 3.0, which are more focused on tuned plans for a well understood backcountry trip. It is more about carrying open ended tools to build solutions to a variety of unexpected circumstances than it is on carrying elegant purpose built solutions to expected circumstances. It is well suited to full day backcountry trips, and is also a good choice for vehicle and international travel. It is often used in conjunction with level 1.0, but also typically duplicates everything in that level as a backup.

Resource Threads:

Mountain Serape thread

Dicussion of mounting a Prairie Belt on Tarahumara

Discussion of mounting a Prairie Belt on a Highlander

Tarahumara and Recon Kit Bag based patrol setup

Discussion of Event and Mountain Hardware Dry Q Elite

Rain Coats

Discussion of Practical Rifles

Discussion of Practical Lever Actions

Recommendations for a New Hunter

Adding a Lightrail to a Bolt Gun

Discussion of Bolt Action vs Lever Action Rifles

Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

308 Semi-automatics

Rifle Carry with a pack

Discussion of Field Knives 1

Discussion of Field Knives 2

Discussion of Field Knives 3

General Purpose Knife Discussion

Axes

Tomahawks and Hatchets

Ethics of a Personal Locater Beacon

DeLorme InReach Explorer Extreme Communications Package

First Aid Kit

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/11/2014 4:34 PM

Level detail page and resource thread links complete

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/11/2014 7:21 PM

Picture of the hand tool kit (except for the hatchet):

Hand Tools - Again, we had to start with form factor (First Spear large GP Pocket) and work backwords. The 2lb 3oz kit (including pocket) we ended up with is below. We'll probably add more items to this hand tool kit up to the capacity of the container which is only about 2/3rds full as we reflect on it.

• Vice Grips - 6". You might also consider the Leatherman Crunch. A vice grip can be used as pliers, wire cutter, box wrench, and more.
  • Crowbar - Small. Hopefully mighty.
  • Center Punch - For use with hatchet. Sharpened on a bench grinder to make a heavy duty awl suitable for leather, wood, plastic, and light metal. Think of it as a primitive drill bit. 
  • Saw / Screwdriver Handle - This is a great concept. A general purpose handle that can take both standard shank sawzall blades and standard hex bits. SOLKOA makes a very nice compact one. We opted for a larger and more ergonomic one from the local hardware store. Both are capable of being configured in an L-shape which we think is essential for sawing and torquing in hex driver mode. Supply with one long 6tpi wood blade, one shorter metal blade, and a small selection of bits (both options come with some bits).
  • Baggy of Fasteners - screws - stop nuts - washers in 10/24 and 1/4-20 sizes; nails; long exterior screws
  • Zip Ties - heavy duty
  • Bailing Wire
  • Hose Clamps
  • Bicycle Inner Tube Section
  • Sharpie - wrapped with electrical tape and duct tape
  • 6" mill bastard file

New Post
8/15/2014 8:26 AM

Evan-

It looks like there is a mill file in the picture, that's not listed in the description of contents.

If i could suggest an addition: JB weld two-part epoxy kit, and superglue (in their own baggie to prevent spills, although after the tubes are used once usually their utility goes downhill quickly if not in consistent use)

New Post
8/15/2014 8:08 PM

I'd like to add the Pocket Ref by Thomas J. Glover, with this level's emphasis on tools there's no better one than knowledge!

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
1/27/2015 1:12 PM

Just to throw an interesting wrinkle into this discussion, what would you add contingency tool-wise if you were limited to carry-on only? I go down near the equator on mission trips a few times each year, which usually involves hopping a lot of carry-on only flights, and I can't always check knives or tools in with the med supplies. So far, my kit includes the following tools for contingency and repair, and they have been fine getting through security:

-Old leatherman with blade ground off of it (though they always go into conniptions as soon as you take it out) for tools
-Smallish pry bar on keys
-Guerilla Tape wrapped around half an old gift card
-Zip ties
-A few extra Ranger bands of various width

All of the other stuff is pretty similar (first aid, survival gear, cordage, cash, yada yada yada), but I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas for contingency tools that will be acceptable for domestic and international carry-on. Yes, picking up tools in country or mailing them to yourself is always an option, but for the sake of argument, let's exclude it.

New Post
2/10/2015 6:36 AM

Travel by air really limits you. You have covered what you can carry just about. There are some smaller screw drivers and such that are legal, and an inexpensive ratchet drive screwdriver with multiple bits can be a help. . I always carry a lighter on me, and have a stash of inner tube squares in my bag. I also have a survival bracelet with stricker woven in that a friend gave me. In reality, skills to improvise are the most important when traveling by air.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/8/2016 7:53 PM

I'm in the process of putting a hand tool/repair kit. I keep thinking about additions to what you guys have here, but I am not sure what would be worth adding that would take care of a problem that you couldn't address with these tools. A 4" crescent wrench might make the cut, to be used in conjunction with the vice grips for turning nuts/bolts in concert, but even then I've always got a leatherman on me.

I've thought about epoxy, but it just adds another layer of having to check/rotate the stock, as I find it doesn't last forever and occasionally the container will become compromised.

New Post
7/9/2016 4:04 AM

I keep a Crescent my tool kit. Definitely like Vice-Grips as well, as that they can act as a "third hand" to maintain a bolt head if the other end requires two hands or if it's a funky reach angle. I also really live the Craftsman flat ratcheting box end wrenches, which can be purchased with companion socket inserts. I've used those a heckuva lot and find them nearly indispensable.
For epoxy, I carry the plastic tube with putty style epoxy, where you mix the hardener with the base and it sets up like steel. That said, I still carry standard JB Weld or the Loctite brand (actually stronger), and keep it in a short length of clear, flexible water hose (you can find it at Lowe's) to keep the epoxy tubes from getting crushed. One thing about epoxy...when you need it, you REALLY need it. I may switch out and carry the Marine-Tex epoxy I have that I used to install the sling cups on my RGS stock. It works really well and is impervious to just about anything that might compromise others.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralEquipage Level 2 - Go BagEquipage Level 2 - Go Bag

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear