Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGarmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach Explorer +Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach Explorer +
Previous

Next
New Post
1/9/2017 1:03 PM

FYI, now that DeLorme has been acquired by Garmin, there is now a newer version of the inReach Explorer, as well as a new version of the inReach SE.  The Explorer + model now appears to have a slightly larger screen, can be loaded with topo map data, and appears to be thinner than the older model.  Of course, it is also now more expensive.  I'm hoping to take a gander at it next week at the SHOT Show.  I doubt that I'll buy the new one, because the current model does everything I need it to do.  However, it'll still be nice to check it out.  Edit: One new feature that has already been added to my existing Explorer model, which came with updating my firmware, is a weather forecasting feature.  So that's nice.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/9/2017 3:32 PM

I am glad we have waited for the next upgrade.

Garmin also acquired TriTronics, dog training collars, a few years ago. Tritonics is and was the best dog training collars out there and Garmin acquiring then has only improved an already solid company. Time will tell if it continues.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
1/23/2017 10:42 PM

I just noticed Delorme was bought, when checking my Promotive....stalling on an Inreach may have been a good or bad thing depending on whats available now. Time will tell.

New Post
1/25/2017 8:23 PM

I found out from Garmin that for the new device to function at all, it will require an active subscription. My hope was to be able to use the device as a stand-alone GPS for most of the year when I am in areas with cell phone service available and activate the satellite communications function only when I know I will be away from cell tower range. Does the current model require a subscription to function as a stand-alone GPS? I can always wirelessly use the topos on my phone if need be instead of having to keep an active subscription for the thing to even work. I'm only presuming that feature works well. I could use the phone's internal GPS, however, I occasionally ride motorcycle off-road in areas where there is no phone service and think the communication feature would be good in case of emergency. Any thoughts? Are there any other devices or services that could serve the same purpose? Thank you!

New Post
2/1/2017 1:45 PM

They do have a thing called the Freedom Plan, where you only have your inReach running during certain months, when you need it.  However, that is still going to require a 1 time initial activation fee and also you would be billed for the time periods when you'll use it as a fully functioning system.  Outside of that, I do not know of any other way you could do it.  Perhaps if you searched for someone selling an older model of the inReach package, which consists of the older model (blocky shape) that pairs with the older DeLorme PN-60W GPS.  Having that would allow you to use the GPS as the stand-alone device you want, but then you could enable the inReach and re-pair it with the GPS for the times when you need the satellite coverage.

Here is an article about it: http://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/0... 

It is from several years ago, but at least shows you what to look for.  I have one of these packages, and even though I now use the Explorer, I am hanging on to the older package to be able to re-activate it when needed for future use by friends & family.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGarmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach Explorer +Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach Explorer +

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear