Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMinimalist Trauma Kit using the First Spear Roo Panel and Magpul DAKA Pouch Minimalist Trauma Kit using the First Spear Roo Panel and Magpul DAKA Pouch
Previous

Next
New Post
1/31/2017 11:06 AM

Hail!

I recently had a thought grenade cook-off in my skull, and thought I would share this with the HPG Forum folks.  This set-up ought to work really well for my applications out in the backcountry here in the USA, and also for my overseas trips.  Figured this might be something others on the Forum could possibly find useful.

I wanted to build a rapid access Minimalist Trauma Kit that I could mount to my Heavy Recon Kit Bag, or onto the 6/12 field of any one of my HPG packs or components.  With that in mind, I got my hands on a First Spear Roo Panel in Ranger Green.  They are available in a few other colors, as well: http://www.first-spear.com/product.ph...  I also employed a Magpul size small DAKA Pouch, and I've posted previously (https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/...) about how useful these things are.  Finally, I used a Red Tac Shield bag tag to attach to a corner of the DAKA, which gave me a pull-tab to deploy the DAKA and the trauma kit inside it.

In the photos below, I am using a green DAKA, but I have a small orange one inbound, and that will be used instead of the green one in the future, so that I can have the DAKA Pouch pull double-duty as a signaling device.  

Of course, I could just place the contents of the DAKA straight into the Roo Panel, but by using the DAKA as part of it I gain the functionality of a signaling device, keep the contents protected from moisture, and the DAKA acts as a rapid pull-out to cover down on trauma.  There could be lots of other uses for a Roo Panel and DAKA Pouch combo, I suspect.  Keeping a set-up like this handy as part one's kit in case of an active shooter situation comes to mind...along with plates, spare mags, and one's blaster of choice.  

If anybody is running the HPG-version Dark Angel kits, those would probably fit in the Roo Panel very easily as well.  The Roo Panel has quite a few applications, I do believe.  This makes for a pretty low-profile, compact package.  

So, here are some photos and descriptions.  As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Ken sends.

Here is the Roo Panel attached to the face of my HRKB.

Pretty slender profile...somewhere between 1/2" and 3/4".

Red pull tab positioned between the two Roo Panel opening tabs.

Yank the red tab, and the entire DAKA Pouch pulls out.

DAKA and its contents now ready for use.

=

Contents of the DAKA Pouch.  SWAT-T, Z-Pack, Mini Quik-Clot, Nitrile Gloves, and HALO Chest Seal, with multiple "courtesy-tabbed" strips of duct tape affixed to the front and back of the package...enough for entry and exit wounds.

Roo Panel attached to the backside of a Palspocket. Two Roo Panels could be used here easily.

Attached to the outer 6/12 field on my Aston House.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/31/2017 11:57 AM

That trauma kit needs an NPA, a 14ga needle, and a pair of five-inch shears. Thanks for posting this.  I've not seen that quick clot guaze version before.  Is it Z-folded like Combat Gauze?

New Post
1/31/2017 12:03 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
That trauma kit needs an NPA, a 14ga needle, and a pair of five-inch shears. Thanks for posting this.  I've not seen that quick clot guaze version before.  Is it Z-folded like Combat Gauze?

Glad you dig it!  I wanted this one to be a minimalist version, to keep the weight down.  Of course you know, I am never far away from a pair of shears, nose hose, and a Needle-D kit! Those ride in my more extensive trauma kit, in my pack or on my belt.  The Mini Quik-Clot is a Z-fold, 3" x 24".

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/31/2017 4:17 PM

Love this.

New Post
2/4/2017 12:27 PM

I like that a lot Ken. It reminds me of the DAK shingle I picked up last year, but I like how yours is a bit more customizable and uses a DAKA and not a vacuum sealed pouch. - J

New Post
2/7/2017 1:14 PM

I really like this idea. I am going to put one together. I really appreciate your ideas and tend to copy most of them. My wife hates it though. Your ideas always cost me money!

New Post
2/7/2017 3:50 PM

GoKartz wrote:
I like that a lot Ken. It reminds me of the DAK shingle I picked up last year, but I like how yours is a bit more customizable and uses a DAKA and not a vacuum sealed pouch. - J

Thanks J!

New Post
2/7/2017 3:52 PM

para505 wrote:

I really like this idea. I am going to put one together. I really appreciate your ideas and tend to copy most of them. My wife hates it though. Your ideas always cost me money!

Thanks!  LOL....go ahead and tell your wife it's all my fault!  Hey....it's for safety, right?  She must want you to be safe in the backcountry!

New Post
2/8/2017 2:25 PM

I will try the safety angle!

New Post
2/22/2017 7:51 AM

Good idea

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMinimalist Trauma Kit using the First Spear Roo Panel and Magpul DAKA Pouch Minimalist Trauma Kit using the First Spear Roo Panel and Magpul DAKA Pouch

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear