Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite
Previous

Next
New Post
11/19/2013 12:39 PM

Does it still provide a fast and comfortable open sights aquisition?

if so, I'll buy one for myself for Christmas..

thanks for for the pictures btw. 

New Post
11/20/2013 9:46 AM

That is kind of a hard question to answer, because it is going to depend on your face. The comb is a smidge higher (by feel no measurements to support this) than on the OEM stock, which for me is already just a hair low for the irons, so this stock is a bit harder to find the irons. I don't have a problem doing it at speed, but I know I need to get a bit lower on the stock with my cheek. However, it is perfect for me for an optic in low rings, which is what I wanted.  On the other hand I have had people who handled it and thought it was perfect for irons for them, and a bit low for an optic and others who thought the optic was a bit low. It really just depends on your face. If you think the OEM is perfect with irons this should be about the same for you. If you think the OEM is a bit high for irons this one will be too.

I hope that helps.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
11/21/2013 12:47 PM

Actually, that was a bettet answer than I was hoping for.

i use my scout for a variety of tasks, stalking with open sights, w a rds or open sights on driven hunts, with a low power 2-7 optic for hunting from a tower and with a 6x optic for red fox during nights from a hide. Needless to say, I have to compromise with cheek weld. I might invest in an adjustable cheek piece for this rifle, hard to say if the added wheight is worth it though. Might as well use duct tape and insulation for the 6x..

decisions decisions..

thanks 

New Post
7/19/2014 8:14 PM

posted for Mackay-Sagebrush:

Aesthetically speaking, the McMillan makes the GSR a new animal and I really like the way it looks. I know that visual appeal is not really a practical consideration, but this is one case where I was somewhat lukewarm about a rifle, then with the change, I like it a lot.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/27/2015 6:25 PM

Just wondering...has the addition of the McMillan stock aided in the accuracy of the rifle?  Now that you've had it for a while, what are your thoughts?  Have you done anything else to the rifle?

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
5/28/2015 11:51 AM

Other than sighting in I don't shoot for groups hardly at all. To be honest I can't remember what it was shooting prior with the laminate stock, and I have never shot it with precision ammo, just milsurp and TSX. Neither of which is known for accuracy, but at 200yds it was ~2moa with both. I would expect it to shrink with good ammunition. I just can't tell you if the group size shrunk from stock to stock. I also wouldn't mind a bit crisper/lighter trigger. I still like the package a lot, but to be honest now that the synthetic version and walnut version are available, I would probably just get one of those and drive on.

New Post
5/28/2015 8:38 PM

scothill wrote:
. I also wouldn't mind a bit crisper/lighter trigger. 

Those factory Ruger triggers clean up nice.  A friend used a Power Custom sear jig and in about 15 min I had a crisp 4# 2oz trigger with the factory springs in my 223 Compact with the factory springs.  It started at a bit over 6# IIRC.

New Post
5/29/2015 12:37 AM

I second what TAK said. Following what is said here:

http://centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html (the drawing and other pictures are helpful)

I did the trigger on my Ruger GSR with nothing more than some very light file work and a bit of fine grit sandpaper. My trigger is still a bit heavier but I didn't mess with the springs at all.

Another option for many Rugers is to get a Spec Tech trigger. For less than $100 shipped you get a fine trigger and it takes only minutes to install.

New Post
5/29/2015 10:18 AM

I'm having some fun with this gun. I ordered the HTG in Khaki, a Witt Machine MRE, Spec Tech trigger, made my own synthetic rhodesian sling, added a XS rail, and have a Nikon Buckmaster mounted to it. Its already my go-to rifle and I enjoy it more every day.

New Post
5/30/2015 6:42 PM

I have installed a Spec Tech trigger on three GSR's. I am very happy with them. They install easy and you can adjust them with the rifle in the stock.

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
5/13/2016 12:43 PM

Oh and it's about time that I give credit where it is due. Stumbling across Scott Hill's RGS pics and reading about his build was the inspiration for mine all the way. Thanks HPG for the real world testing and great write ups that you guys do.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear