Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Canadian Arctic Ranger RifleCanadian Arctic Ranger Rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
11/3/2016 9:24 PM

Looks like they have or are in the process of switching from the Enfield to a short Sako .308. The stock is ugly on the sako (IMO) but its a pretty slick little set up. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/20...

http://www.guns.com/2015/06/26/canadi...

On a side note though, it looks like possibly the old enfields may be offered up for sale? Even if so who knows if their southern neighbors would be able to get one. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/20...

New Post
11/4/2016 3:57 PM

Fixed the broken links i think. Sorry about that

New Post
11/7/2016 1:09 PM

Looks good, but the price tag is high. I want one.

New Post
11/7/2016 1:44 PM

I can only assume that the Canadian GVT is as inefficient as our own when it comes to procurement and contracts, $2k+ a pop without a scope. I think the Ruger GSR is pretty close when it comes to the features.

New Post
11/7/2016 8:20 PM

2K is Canadian dollars.  US street price will be a bit over a grand, I suspect.  The new T3x tactical 308 goes for about that I've seen.  Similar rifle (TRG-22 bottom metal)

New Post
11/8/2016 12:48 PM

Looks like a nice rifle. I don't want to be negative, but I just can't see what that rifle does that a Tikka T3x CTR doesn't for 1000 dollars less. It even looks like a very similar barrel contour to me. If you bought a CTR, you'd be able to do $1000 of mods to it and still be right around the cost of the artic. Thats easily enough for open sights and a mcmillan! Maybe I'm missing somethin? I dunno, but thats my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

For what its worth, I have a CTR in 260 Rem, and it is an excellent rifle! Very accurate for a factory rig, and the bolt throw on the tikkas is the smoothest i've ever handled. In my opinion, its a MUCH nicer rifle than the GSR ever thought about bein.

New Post
11/8/2016 1:04 PM

Shrubjr wrote:
 Very accurate for a factory rig, and the bolt throw on the tikkas is the smoothest i've ever handled. In my opinion, its a MUCH nicer rifle than the GSR ever thought about bein.

Smooth is an understatement.  The bolt stops are another matter.  A Tikka's bolt stop is held in place by a tiny pin, that, according to the Gunsite crowd, has been known to snap when run hard, like you do with a bolt gun during 270, and just about nowhere else, which is why few know about it.  I intend to try to smooth  up the bolt travel on my GSR, and that is my ONLY complaint so far.  I also own a Tikka Superlite in 308, having owned another in 223.  Love Tikkas but I'm not sure it is the best action choice for a Scout Rifle.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Canadian Arctic Ranger RifleCanadian Arctic Ranger Rifle

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear