Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GunsiteRuger Gunsite
Previous

Next
New Post
12/8/2014 3:30 PM

I took a slightly different approach and mounted a Magpul rail section to the side of the stock with epoxy and wood screws.  The rail section is just long enough for me to run a TLR-1 HL on it and also do double-duty as my front sling mount.  Rear sling mount is incorporated into my stock pack straps, so that I can sling the rifle and have it lie flat against my body.  Set up like this it rides a lot like my current AR and the M4 variants I carried during military life.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/10/2014 9:04 PM

Got a little range time in with the GSR, just using the irons, (scope is on the way) at 100 yards, 3 rounds:

1st group Win. power point 150gr 2" group, 2"down, 2" left.

2nd Radway green milsurp 147gr 1 1/2 group, 2" down.

3rd Rem core-lokt 150 gr, 1 1/2" group 2" down, 1" left.

I didn't adjust the sights, I'll do that after some more rounds. I did go through another 20 rounds of the mil-surp at steel and some clays at 50 yards and 25 just running it.

I am very happy so far.

New Post
10/14/2016 9:18 AM

I almost went the mcmillan stock route when replacing the wood stock on the GSR. I chose instead to just get the Ruger synthetic stock and paint it. Very happy with the results.

Time to reconfirm zero and it will be ready for deer/elk season starting on the 22nd.

New Post
10/28/2016 10:05 AM

Friends don't let friends install this on their rifle. I had expected it to be much shorter. At least it was only $8. Now it's in a drawer.

New Post
10/28/2016 12:19 PM

chorpie wrote:
Friends don't let friends install this on their rifle. I had expected it to be much shorter. At least it was only $8. Now it's in a drawer.

I would think that device might throw off accuracy, as well.  Thoughts?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
10/28/2016 12:45 PM

I think you're right. It might end up on my shotgun although I guess it's pointless there as well since i've got the Magpul forend.

I was being lazy and not wanting to mill out space for a pic rail in the forend. I'll likely still be lazy and not do it :)

New Post
10/28/2016 1:02 PM

chorpie wrote:
I think you're right. It might end up on my shotgun although I guess it's pointless there as well since i've got the Magpul forend.

I was being lazy and not wanting to mill out space for a pic rail in the forend. I'll likely still be lazy and not do it :)

If it helps your plans for your rifle at all, take a look at the second and third pictures in my post below, for where I mounted my light.  My fingers are long enough to manipulate it, and I haven't experienced much detriment from having the light on the side of my stock versus the bottom.  The reason I decided to mount the short pic rail on the side instead of the bottom is that I wanted to retain the option of using my Harris bipod, and having a pic rail on the bottom would have impeded that.  Even before I had the synthetic stock on mine, I had mounted a short pic rail on the wood laminate stock.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/t...

New Post
10/28/2016 2:28 PM

Yes, I stare at your rifle a lot :) I think I might copy the same location. I think your post is also what made me want to put the QD swivel cups on my rifle as well although that will take a short while longer since my friend reclaimed his drill press and I don't want to freehand it.

New Post
11/22/2016 7:48 PM

So I ordered a SKD Tac MSM sling and think I want to do QD side mount cups on the GSR....But I would love to find a stock that is more traditional tactical bolt gun (vertical handgrip, flat fore-end, potentially adj. comb)...I wish Ruger would make one. although a folding stock for the GSR would be awesome as well. Does anyone here know of any stocks besides ruger and the mcmillian stock that would work? Any experience installing QD swivel cups (top or bottom of the but of the stock?)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GunsiteRuger Gunsite

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear