Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Vortex SPARC ARVortex SPARC AR
Previous

Next
New Post
11/22/2016 4:14 PM

I recently picked one of these up, and I'm really impressed.  Retail is around $199, and I haven't found anything else in the same range that I'd trust as much as this.

It's obviously not the same as a Meprolight or Aimpoint, but the build quality is still excellent.  It also runs on a common AAA battery rather than some more obscure cell size.  I like this because a lot of my other gear uses AAA cells, increasing the chance of me always having a spare.  It features a well designed mount, witch includes a spacer for adjusting the mount height, it doesn't have any sort of quick release, but cowitnesses well so that's not really an issue.  The small details that were engineered into this sight are quite impressive too, including a quality rubber armor housing with lens caps that comes included but is removable if you don't want to use it, the lens caps which can clip together to keep them out of the way while shooting, and the adjustment caps integrate a protrusion on them that can be used to adjust the sight rather than needing a coin or screwdriver.  These features are minor, but show a level of design that I find impressive on a sight at this price range, they also serve to make the sight much more user friendly.

New Post
11/22/2016 5:18 PM

Thanks for the write up.  I was going to ask you to leave it on and see how long the battery lasts but they're ahead of me.  The SPARC turns itself off after 12 (not 4hr, in the middle of a patrol, like an Eothingy).  IME, lithium AA's and AAA's not only last far longer than alkalines, I have NEVER had one of them leak and mess up a device like alkalines are wont to do.  This is apparently a trustworthy sight:

http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-sparc-ii-the-dot-that-would-not-die-67267.html 

New Post
11/22/2016 5:41 PM

Lithium AAA's or Eneloop rechargeables are definitely the way to go, no leaking, and better proformance in cold weather too.

New Post
11/23/2016 5:45 AM

Hey Wolfman -

I don't know how recent this purchase was, but I bought a Vortex SPARC AR about 8 months ago and I have yet to be disappointed. I have had no issues with battery life, red dot brightness, red dot distortion, or wandering zero. In general I'm not a huge fan of red dots, but I have found this to be an excellent sight that has held up to my abuse, enough so that I'm currently budgeting for a Vortex SPARC II as a backup for my primary scoped rifle. (For those unfamiliar with the SPARC II, it is basically the same as the AR version but without the riser and the battery on the side.)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the sight as much as I have.

- J

New Post
11/25/2016 3:31 PM

GoKartz wrote:
Hey Wolfman -

I don't know how recent this purchase was, but I bought a Vortex SPARC AR about 8 months ago and I have yet to be disappointed. I have had no issues with battery life, red dot brightness, red dot distortion, or wandering zero. In general I'm not a huge fan of red dots, but I have found this to be an excellent sight that has held up to my abuse, enough so that I'm currently budgeting for a Vortex SPARC II as a backup for my primary scoped rifle. (For those unfamiliar with the SPARC II, it is basically the same as the AR version but without the riser and the battery on the side.)

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the sight as much as I have.

- J

That's great to hear yours has held up so well, from initial impressions I assume mine will be just as good. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Vortex SPARC ARVortex SPARC AR

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear