Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Anyone Using a 10mm M1911 for Woods/Bear Defense?Anyone Using a 10mm M1911 for Woods/Bear Defense?
Previous

Next
New Post
12/17/2016 12:25 PM

I like my G20 very much...but a 1911 still fits my hand so much better.

Also when backpacking, I think cocked and locked has some advantages.   Once you make camp, you can just stuff it in your waistband w/o always having to have some sort of rigid guard around the trigger.

Anyone using a 10mm 1911 and thoughts or opinions about them?

New Post
12/17/2016 1:28 PM

I'm curious....where are you camping and why the fascination of a 10mm? Not meant as an offense, I'd just like to know.

New Post
12/17/2016 3:53 PM

Enjoy backpacking in Wyoming and Montana.   Started by carrying a .44 mag 629.  Went to the G20 to save weight and have a gun that was a little easier to CCW when in town enroute to and from backpacking.  10mm seemed to be the best common auto pistol round for bear protection. 

New Post
12/18/2016 3:54 PM

I have a Wilson Combat 10mm that I put together for hunting and possible big animal defense. Meh. It is fine for whitetail hunting, which is what I intended.

I think a USP 45 is a much better of the shelf solution all around. The gun is big and beefy. The controls are big and beefy. The trigger guard is huge. All of this makes cold weather/gloved use easier. It handles 45 super without an issue, which is more powerful than 10mm. It also recoils less (less wrist snap, though that is subjective) than a 10mm 1911. 12 rounds in the gun. Polymer frame is not as bad in the cold either.

For pure bear defense, the standard USP is probably best. I have the Expert version, since mine is oriented more towards hunting than defense. Extremely accurate. Adjustable sights that work well. If you can get over carrying a polymer pistol in the field, it is a fantastic choice, imo. Much cheaper and more reliable than any nice 10mm 1911 too.

New Post
12/18/2016 8:55 PM

cco45acp wrote:

For the price of about four decent 1911 magazines, you can have a grip reduction done on your G20 and it will be vastly improved, and point like a 1911.  If you're handy, and bold, you can do it yourself for the price of a lunch.

New Post
12/18/2016 9:03 PM

Because Perfection.

New Post
12/18/2016 9:10 PM

El Mac wrote:
Because Perfection.

I have a "perfection" story you'll appreciate.  The Smyrna boys had some Glock hats made up that came with  missed stitches and an intentionally frayed spot on the bill.  Gaston made a surprise visit to GA, saw said hats a proceeded to blow a fuggin' gasket.  Ordered 'em all burned.

I heard Rob Leatham say that a Glock was a great gun, but they were made by the most corrupt SOB's on earth.

New Post
12/21/2016 6:11 PM

I used to have a grip reduction on a g20. Didn't do anything useful for me. The gun was smaller, but not really any better. Since everyone's hands are different, that probably won't mean much to most other people.

New Post
12/21/2016 8:43 PM

There is no way to make a Glock "feel" like a 1911, but you can make one point like a 1911 by giving it the same grip angle.  A grip reduction can't help you with trigger reach as there isn't much material that can be removed from the grip directly behind the trigger gut just getting rid of that cursed hump helps most folks.

New Post
12/22/2016 6:11 AM

Thanks for the opinions guys. I may look more into the .45 Super. I wonder if the new Ruger American .45acp will handle .45 Super. I've avoided grip reductions both because I'm cheap but also because I'm afraid it may cause problems if I do it on a G20 with my grip for the unmodified EDC Glock 19/23.

New Post
12/22/2016 9:46 AM

cco45acp wrote:. I've avoided grip reductions both because I'm cheap but also because I'm afraid it may cause problems if I do it on a G20 with my grip for the unmodified EDC Glock 19/23.

I'd fix that G-19 FIRST.

New Post
12/22/2016 2:39 PM

I prefer the 1911 grip angle and shape but I'm ok with the Glock 19/23 grip.  Even with GEN 4, G20 is a handful...and with all Glocks, not sure why the slide has to be so wide, unless it is necessary for the locking system.

New Post
1/8/2017 1:41 PM

The standard 20 is a bit much grip wise, but the SF is not bad for a guy with larger mitts. Would still like a grip reduction to approximate a 1911. Not knocking 1911s as I think they are as ergonomically pleasing a handgun as you will find, but you are getting back up to the weight of your 44 with a steel frame 1911 10mm.

If you go 1911, Colt has a new Delta Elite with rail that looks sweet.

New Post
1/9/2017 3:31 PM

Yep,  I've considered that about the weight.  Even did a little bit of research about building a M1911  in 10mm on a Caspian Arms titanium frame to save a few onces.  Don't have the time or money right now.

It would be interesting if Ruger American or S&W M&P would come out with a 10mm.

New Post
1/16/2017 10:59 AM

What about SIG? They've had one out for a while now. The hunter is SAO, I've been debating this or an 8 shot 357 for bllac bear defense. If PA opens up to semi auto hunting for 2017 the choice will be made. 

New Post
1/16/2017 3:17 PM

Thanks Praharin.  SIG looks interesting but would be another system...Ruger American or S&W M&P I'd just consider a Glock 20 with a better grip.   SIG also is heavy and as spendy as a good 1911.

New Post
1/28/2017 6:20 PM

cco45acp wrote:

Also when backpacking, I think cocked and locked has some advantages. Once you make camp, you can just stuff it in your waistband w/o always having to have some sort of rigid guard around the trigger.

Anyone using a 10mm 1911 and thoughts or opinions about them?

I am not so sure I like the idea of a 1911 being stuffed into a waistband; I have found a few thumb safety levers in the off-safe position, over time, and that is while using holsters that do not shroud the thumb safety lever. True, the grip safety should be doing its job, but I am glad to have the trigger guard covered.

A 1911 with a high-cut front strap and undercut trigger guard fits my hand better than a Glock, too, but I am open-minded regarding Glock pistols. (No radical undercuts with 1911 frames; something like Les Baer frames is fine.)

I had a G29, and liked the concept, but not the fit. I am tempted to try a Short Frame G29, which seems to fit my hands better. (At the time I sold my G29, it was not yet clear my chief would let me qual with a Glock that had a significant grip reduction, as "modifications" were generally frowned upon. I am expected to qual with any handgun I will carry in public during personal time, and might use to defend myself or others.)

I reading/following this thread for personal interest. I use both 9mm Glock and .45 ACP 1911 pistols, at this time, so am open-minded regarding the 10mm options. I tend to like full-sized all-steel 1911 pistols, having sworn-off buying any smaller 1911 since the Nineties.

SE Texas bears are extemely shy and rare, and not large, so I have not thought seriously about "bear" guns, in the past, but retirement is near, and we plan to travel quite a bit, soon, where large mammals walk the earth.

New Post
1/29/2017 8:15 AM

I have found it useful to wear a Wilderness "Zip Slide" holster on my trouser belt, with no gun in it, while backpacking. Without the gun in it, it doesn't interfere with the backpack hip belt. When you dump your ruck, you can take your handgun out of your kitbag, or where ever you've been carrying it, and slide it into the zip slide without having to screw around with putting a holster on and off your belt.

The Zip slide is adequate to tote a gun around camp I wouldn't want to do any bushwhacking or anything like that with it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Anyone Using a 10mm M1911 for Woods/Bear Defense?Anyone Using a 10mm M1911 for Woods/Bear Defense?

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear