Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications. RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications.
Previous

Next
New Post
5/7/2016 6:47 PM

I finished my RGS project today and figured I'd throw up some photos along with some explanations on the modifications I made, and maybe a tip or two for other folks on here that want to do something similar on their own rifle.

The stock itself was pretty easy to work with, and took the paint I applied nicely.  I used Krylon Camo Fusion, made specifically for plastic.  I rubbed it down with paint thinner and denatured alcohol to prep.  I finished the paint with a good top coat of clear matte.  All told, I shot it with 5 coats, starting with khaki.

I also installed an XS Sight Systems rail, so that I have the option of mounting my scope more traditionally, but still take advantage of the IER aspects of the 1.5-5 x 33 Leupold VX-R.

On the fore end of the stock, I added a short billet aluminum picatinny rail section, for my light.  I chose this location because I'm used to my weapon light being on that side of a long gun, and I also did not have enough real estate between my front sling stud and the end of the stock.  I wanted to keep the sling stud there, so that I can use it with my Harris Bipod when I want to.

The flush mount sling cups presented a unique challenge.  I ended up using a McMillan sling cup up front, as that the fore end of the stock is thick enough there to support the threads of the sling cup.  The IWC style sling cup would not have fit very easily, because of the backer plate it uses and the sort of webbed infrastructure inside the stock.  I also used a good amount of Marine-Tex epoxy to ensure it was good and strong.  I also had to make sure that the sling cup did not contact the barrel.  So, I didn't thread the cup in all the way flush, and I also milled down the upper edge of the sling cup on the inside with a Dremel tool, just to make sure I cleared the barrel.  For the butt stock sling cup, I used an IWC Micro QD Flush Mount Sling Cup, which is a different design.  It has a backer plate with two small set screws that hold tension against the outer part, which is secured by a "spiral lock" (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.co...).  It's a pretty neat design, but a little tricky to install, especially with having to work a hex wrench inside the butt stock.  The trick is to screw in the set screws pretty far, and then jam it up against the interior wall of the butt stock, holding it in place with your thumb.  Then, work the little split-ring style retainer into place on the face of the sling cup.  Once that's in place, just work the hex wrench into the set screws and finish them off until everything is taut and not moving.  I used a pair of hemostats to help me manipulate the hex wrench into and out of the set screws.  I placed the rear sling cup at about the 1930-2000 position for a couple reasons.  One is that I like to route my sling under my support arm, and also I wanted to be able to use my HPG Stock Cuff.  I cut a hole through the Hypalon with the hole cutter that comes with a standard 1/2" grommet kit, like those available at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I made sure that I had everything positioned just right before cutting the hole or drilling the stock.  For drilling the stock in order to install sling cups, I highly recommend using a 1/2" Forstner bit.  These cut nice, clean holes, and you run less risk with hitting important innards on the RGS synthetic stock.  

Well, I'm pretty dang happy with how it turned out.  Just need to re-zero now!  As always, any questions or comments are welcome.  Hope this helps some other HPG folks with their own Scout rifle project!

Ken sends.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/7/2016 7:34 PM

Ken,

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up my synthetic RGS on Friday and wanted to mount sling cups like you have. I have a an IWC sling cup left over from a previous project. Can you post a picture of the front mount up close when you get a chance?

New Post
5/7/2016 9:32 PM

Granite Stater wrote:
Ken,

Thanks for posting this. I just picked up my synthetic RGS on Friday and wanted to mount sling cups like you have. I have a an IWC sling cup left over from a previous project. Can you post a picture of the front mount up close when you get a chance?

You bet! I'll post some close ups tomorrow.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/8/2016 6:32 AM

Granite Stater. here are some close-ups of the front sling cup mount.  I've since added a bit of thickened paint to touch up the exposed metal spots.  

Initially, I thought I would use an IWC Micro Flush QD, but it turned out that the McMillan Flush Mount Sling Cup was actually the appropriate one to install in the fore end of the stock.  I think one of the Noveske style ones would also work out front (the one with the square shaped nut).  The IWC one would not have had enough room inside to allow mounting of the backing plate.  However, the IWC one was definitely needed for the butt stock, as that the polymer is pretty thin there...only 0.1405" thick.  The fore end thickness measures out to 0.3605".  Once I got the sling cup installed and the Marine-Tex epoxy had cured, I decided to go ahead and mill down the upper edge of the sling cup on the inside with my Dremel tool and an abrasive stone attachment, just to make sure that it would not contact the barrel after fitting the action into the stock.  I'm not sure whether I absolutely needed to do this or not, but I didn't want to take any chances.  After I assembled the rifle, I checked to make sure that the barrel was free floating and not touched by the interior base of the sling cup.

Hope this helps!  The photos below ought to give you plenty of views.  Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Ken

New Post
5/8/2016 11:29 AM

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I really like the RGS so far, pretty accurate and light. Just need to find an AAC standard socket mount for my surpressor which are near impossible to find.

New Post
5/8/2016 9:08 PM

Nice! I think i'm gonna have to make an OD green stock now.

New Post
5/9/2016 7:39 AM

Great work as always, but wow you ended up with that scope all the way back. Did you have to go to medium rings to clear? Did you try it in the low rings with the rear of the scope basically against the rear sight?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/9/2016 8:10 AM

scothill wrote:
Great work as always, but wow you ended up with that scope all the way back. Did you have to go to medium rings to clear? Did you try it in the low rings with the rear of the scope basically against the rear sight?

Yep.  Check the photo below.  I was fooling around with placement of the scope and trying to decide where I really wanted it to be.  Initially, I had it far back, like the photos in my original post, but then I noticed that the bell of the scope was actually rubbing the top of the ghost ring on the rail.  I also noticed that for my eyes & LOP, I couldn't easily get a full field of view in the optic.  So then I moved it forward a bit (see photo below).  In this location, the bell just barely clears the ghost ring.  But, if I get some flip-up caps, this location won't work.  

Then I really sat down behind the rifle and re-evaluated where the scope needs to be based on my eyes, LOP, and comfort.  I ended up moving the scope forward one more slot in the rail than what is shown in this photo.  At that spot on the rail, I am able to use both eyes open and have good field of view at all power levels.  It also clears the ghost ring, and I'll have room for flip-up caps.  So basically, the scope will be one more slot forward than what is shown in the above photo.  Also, I am using low rings.

New Post
5/9/2016 8:12 AM

Gotcha. I ended up not being able to use a rear flip up cap due to proximity with my rear sight. A bummer, but that is where it had to be to work for me.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/9/2016 8:21 AM

I just ordered a MGM Switch View Throw Lever for the scope, and I'm waiting to hear back from the reps at Aadmount, to see if they have flip-up caps for this size scope.  I like the look of theirs better than any others I've seen.  They are really robust and according to lots of reviews, are worth the money.  If memory serves, I think we had those caps on a few of our long guns in my old unit.  Otherwise, I'll just stick with my Scopecoat.  That works really well for protecting the optic, and might be a good option for you, since you can't run a rear flip-up.

New Post
5/9/2016 8:25 AM

I got a rubber bikini cover and cut/modded it so that covers the rear and can be hooked out of the way when the rifle is in use. Not ideal, but better than a scope coat as I can just jerk it off and let it hang, and there is no danger of misplacing it.

I love the throw lever on my NF scope, and have meant to do some research on add on throw levers. I will have to check out that one and the Adamount scope caps.

New Post
5/9/2016 8:37 AM

The MGM Switch View I ordered is model 1490SV, which should fit the 1.5-5 VX-R Scout.  It states that it will fit the VX-R Patrol, and according to the compatibility chart, the power ring diameter is 1.490".  I measured the power ring on my VX-R Scout with my micrometer and it should fit, with no issues.  That said, you never know for certain until you try it.  Here's a link to the one I ordered: http://www.mgmswitchview.com/switchvi...

I ordered mine through Amazon for a bit less than MSRP.

New Post
5/13/2016 11:57 AM

Great work on that rifle Brother!! I'll be looking forward to seeing it in person one day.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
5/13/2016 1:11 PM

gregg.masnick wrote:
Great work on that rifle Brother!! I'll be looking forward to seeing it in person one day.

Thanks, Gregg!

New Post
5/17/2016 7:00 PM

This thread convinced me to order some of these:

New Post
5/18/2016 8:07 AM

Nice!  The McMillans?  If you have the same stock as me (synthetic), you'll likely need a different style for the buttstock.  Otherwise, these should go in perfectly...just make sure to epoxy them in place so they don't rotate out on you.

New Post
5/18/2016 4:55 PM

I don't think they're McMillans - brand starts with a G, but I forget what it is. I've got the laminate stock right now, so I figured that they'd just screw in. I'll have to figure out where I want them, not a lot of room for trial and error :)

Epoxy will be my friend.

New Post
5/19/2016 2:25 PM

Looks like it was made by Grovtec.

New Post
5/30/2016 9:39 AM

i just installed the Grovtec sling cup in the fore end just like ken did. I didnt use a tap, just a little muscle. Came out great and it is not as long as the Macmillan one. I had no danger of hitting the barrel once in.

New Post
6/6/2016 7:09 PM

Granite Stater wrote:
i just installed the Grovtec sling cup in the fore end just like ken did. I didnt use a tap, just a little muscle. Came out great and it is not as long as the Macmillan one. I had no danger of hitting the barrel once in.

Good deal!  Glad it worked out.  There's always that little "leap of faith" when one is about to drill a hole that large in a stock.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications. RGS w/ New Synthetic Stock & Some New Modifications.

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear