Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade
Previous

Next
New Post
7/31/2016 11:17 AM

It looks like, because of current financial woes I'll be running the standard irons on the Gunsite Scout for the near future. I don't thing the iron sights are terrible, I understand that they are there to render aid to the shooter in the event that their scope goes down, and it strikes me as a sighting system that is built for a modicum of speed and less precision. They also seem to be built to be as rigid and as robust as possible, these two qualities they have in spades. That being said I feel that current rear aperture is kind of a novice at two things and a master of nothing. That is to say its a bit small for really quick work and a bit large for really precise work. I know there are a lot of GSR shooters on here so I thought I would tap into that knowledge base with a question. Apparently XS makes a screw in rear aperture the iris of which is threaded and excepts screw in apertures of varying models, therefore allowing the shooter to use it without the screw in aperture as a ghost ring for up close coarse work and use the screw in aperture, with a smaller exit iris/hole for finer/target/more precise work at distance or smaller targets. I don't expect to perform such an operation under duress. I kind of fell in love with this concept when I started using Marbles tang sights on my lever gun with very similar screw in apertures. I feel that it's a significant upgrade in utility/versatility for a sighting system on just about any long arm. Do you guys think this would be a worthwhile upgrade to stave off the purchase of a magnified optic. It's evident to me that there is no substitute for said magnified optic. Here is a link to the XS product above.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=992858

New Post
7/31/2016 10:19 PM

The rear sight ring, as you stated, isn't great on the GSR, but I found it suitable. I did upgrade my GSR to the XS rail system (I hate how exposed the rear sight is on it). I have not seen the sight ring you have listed but IMO for $18 it would be worth a shot. If you don't like it you aren't out very much.

New Post
8/1/2016 4:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't complain that much about the stock rear aperture. I've just been looking at and toying with Swiss Elite, Anshutz/Gehmann rear irises and front globe sights as well as the tang sights on my Henry, and the original GSR sight just seems crude by comparison. I like the XS rail, and the rear sight not having the ears seems to be the one glaring problem with it, though I have'nt really put said rail in my hands.

New Post
8/1/2016 1:18 PM

I have several rear sights that in theory have a smaller and larger I just always end up running the larger, because keeping track of the insert is a pain in the butt.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/1/2016 2:49 PM

Most likely, the original "ghost ring", was a Lyman 5D sight, with the insert removed.  Some whitetail hunter figured he could shoot accurately up until the end of legal shooting time, probably on a Marlin 336, with the insert removed.  It is a valid concept.  As for storing it, something like the pistol grip storage compartment, which the Steyr has, is ideal, IMO.

New Post
8/1/2016 2:57 PM

Still managed to loose the insert for a KAC 300m rear sight in a pistol grip.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/1/2016 6:13 PM

I hear ya. If it comes off I will lose it. I was thinking of storing some spare apertures in the buttstock spacers on the GSR in the event that happens. I would be ordering a set of twilight aperture so I will have two spares, there's three in a set. Can't lose it in those spacers...I hope.

New Post
12/21/2016 6:42 AM

There should be space to mill, and drill, and tap a spot for aperture storage on the front rail and still be able to mount a scope. I just figure they're backup sights anyway so I don't bother with small apertures in it.

New Post
12/21/2016 7:32 AM

Here's the one I installed on my GSR.  The ghost ring came as part of the rail package.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/19/2017 9:32 AM

Here's what I did. I hate how high the XS rail puts the optic and mine was already buggered up so I cut the rear sight out of it. It saved a little weight and gave me a little more adjustment.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QLU5oD]
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/QLU5oD]2017-01-05_07-50-20[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/47269634@N00/]veriest1[/url], on Flickr

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear