Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade
Previous

Next
New Post
7/31/2016 10:17 AM

It looks like, because of current financial woes I'll be running the standard irons on the Gunsite Scout for the near future. I don't thing the iron sights are terrible, I understand that they are there to render aid to the shooter in the event that their scope goes down, and it strikes me as a sighting system that is built for a modicum of speed and less precision. They also seem to be built to be as rigid and as robust as possible, these two qualities they have in spades. That being said I feel that current rear aperture is kind of a novice at two things and a master of nothing. That is to say its a bit small for really quick work and a bit large for really precise work. I know there are a lot of GSR shooters on here so I thought I would tap into that knowledge base with a question. Apparently XS makes a screw in rear aperture the iris of which is threaded and excepts screw in apertures of varying models, therefore allowing the shooter to use it without the screw in aperture as a ghost ring for up close coarse work and use the screw in aperture, with a smaller exit iris/hole for finer/target/more precise work at distance or smaller targets. I don't expect to perform such an operation under duress. I kind of fell in love with this concept when I started using Marbles tang sights on my lever gun with very similar screw in apertures. I feel that it's a significant upgrade in utility/versatility for a sighting system on just about any long arm. Do you guys think this would be a worthwhile upgrade to stave off the purchase of a magnified optic. It's evident to me that there is no substitute for said magnified optic. Here is a link to the XS product above.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=992858

New Post
7/31/2016 9:19 PM

The rear sight ring, as you stated, isn't great on the GSR, but I found it suitable. I did upgrade my GSR to the XS rail system (I hate how exposed the rear sight is on it). I have not seen the sight ring you have listed but IMO for $18 it would be worth a shot. If you don't like it you aren't out very much.

New Post
8/1/2016 3:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't complain that much about the stock rear aperture. I've just been looking at and toying with Swiss Elite, Anshutz/Gehmann rear irises and front globe sights as well as the tang sights on my Henry, and the original GSR sight just seems crude by comparison. I like the XS rail, and the rear sight not having the ears seems to be the one glaring problem with it, though I have'nt really put said rail in my hands.

New Post
8/1/2016 12:18 PM

I have several rear sights that in theory have a smaller and larger I just always end up running the larger, because keeping track of the insert is a pain in the butt.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/1/2016 1:49 PM

Most likely, the original "ghost ring", was a Lyman 5D sight, with the insert removed.  Some whitetail hunter figured he could shoot accurately up until the end of legal shooting time, probably on a Marlin 336, with the insert removed.  It is a valid concept.  As for storing it, something like the pistol grip storage compartment, which the Steyr has, is ideal, IMO.

New Post
8/1/2016 1:57 PM

Still managed to loose the insert for a KAC 300m rear sight in a pistol grip.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/1/2016 5:13 PM

I hear ya. If it comes off I will lose it. I was thinking of storing some spare apertures in the buttstock spacers on the GSR in the event that happens. I would be ordering a set of twilight aperture so I will have two spares, there's three in a set. Can't lose it in those spacers...I hope.

New Post
12/21/2016 5:42 AM

There should be space to mill, and drill, and tap a spot for aperture storage on the front rail and still be able to mount a scope. I just figure they're backup sights anyway so I don't bother with small apertures in it.

New Post
12/21/2016 6:32 AM

Here's the one I installed on my GSR.  The ghost ring came as part of the rail package.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
1/19/2017 8:32 AM

Here's what I did. I hate how high the XS rail puts the optic and mine was already buggered up so I cut the rear sight out of it. It saved a little weight and gave me a little more adjustment.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QLU5oD]
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/QLU5oD]2017-01-05_07-50-20[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/47269634@N00/]veriest1[/url], on Flickr

New Post
2/8/2017 5:40 PM

Hey folks, an upfront apology for only showing up here on the HPG forums when I am seeking advice. I have been running scouts for some years, with a Rem 600 as my final iteration of the concept, but I also own a RGSR, purchased early 2015 when they came out with the syn stock. I run it primarily with its stock irons, although I have a sightron Red Dot, and a Burris 2.75 set up for it as well. I'm pretty good out to 500 yards with the irons using hold over and lots of field practice but it isn't my preferred method for a receiver sight. Most of my bolt guns run vintage Redfields and Lymans with target knobs. The Williams 600 FP on my Rem 600 has target elevation but not windage because the dogleg bolt on the rifle would hit the FP target knob, so Williams never offered the FP600 with target windage knob. Where I am going with this is, I want to install a receiver sight on the GSR that has dial knobs, so that I can adjust for elevation and windage in the field without using itty bitty screwdrivers and hex keys. All I am finding are AR flip ups, similar to the Wilson 640. This would require buying the XS rail for attaching the rear sight to. No problem except, I need the rear sight to work with the GSR front sight since I'm assuming that replacing the GSR front sight would be a major undertaking.
Question then: Has anyone used an AR type flip up rear sight on the XS rail and does it work with the stock front GSR sight?
Or, does anyone know of a rear sight with dial elev at a minimum that will attach to the Ruger dovetail? I know that Williams, Lyman, nor NECG make sights that have dials for elevation and windage.

New Post
2/8/2017 8:21 PM

I'm wanting very much the same thing for my lefty Ruger GSR. I've also been looking and know your pain at the lack of options.

Just a little rant here. Ruger really dropped the ball on the rear sight with the GSR. They should offer much more support for accessories for upgrading the GSR. That means stocks for the lefties and upgrade sights.

Now the sights.

Not long ago CZ, Steyr, and Colt Defense had submissions for the Canadian Ranger rifle program. Colt won with an submission of what is basically an Tikka with some protected drum style diopter rear sight. It mounts on an rail.

Now there are reciever pic rail available for the Ruger (other than the huge XS). The golden ticket is who's making that sight for Colt Defense Canada?

I'm going to research and try to find the origin of the Colt sight and if it can be purchased. I've got an hunch that it may be made by LPA sights.

New Post
2/8/2017 8:25 PM

Well I think I've answered my own question. Use the Willliams FP RU77 with Target knobs. Will require d&t right side of receiver but will be pretty easy given that it's  flat sided. This will insure that I can keep the rear aperture low enough to use the stock front blade. I'll still welcome any other suggestions that might be out there in the marketplace.

Am I really that much of a curmudgeon that I expect a receiver sight to have elevation and windage dials? All these tiny, flimsy set screws are a PITA any way you look at it and I don't buy the permanent zero theory. Been carrying knob adjustable receiver sighted rifles in the field for fifty years, have never broken one.

New Post
2/8/2017 8:41 PM

Very much in agreement that sights should have some robust in the field adjustments. Much like your old Winchester 1886.

New Post
2/9/2017 5:10 AM

Lyman 21/38, yes OldPineCricker, what an amazing old sight. Truly do not make them like that any more. I have two of the new Buffalo Arms versions on Miroku 1895 and 1886 and an original 38 (with windage) on my made in 1918 35 Remmy Model 14.

I wish the new Williams receiver sights were steel, but aluminum will do.

New Post
2/9/2017 5:23 AM

The Tikka Ranger rifle looks like a nice setup but near as I can tell from internet images, there are no dial adjustments on the rear aperture sight, another set and forget and lose your munchkin hex key style of sight.

I will go out on a limb as guess that 90% of GSRs sold have standard mount riflescopes on them. Why would Ruger develop something that you, and I and a handful of other people living in the early 20th century would buy?

New Post
2/9/2017 4:36 PM

elmbow wrote:

Am I really that much of a curmudgeon that I expect a receiver sight to have elevation and windage dials?

Yes.  That Redfield sight that came in the kit with the M-24 was a nice sight.  Required a left-side drill and tap though, like most proper receiver sights.  I'm not certain I'd agree that a Scout requires such, but it is a nice touch and worth the weight, IMO.  We'll put up with your only knocking at the HPG door when you want something Elm.  I guess you got your serum lipid issue sorted out or you probably wouldn't be posting. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade Ruger GSR iron sight upgrade

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear