Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...22lr for backpacking22lr for backpacking
Previous

Next
New Post
9/7/2016 11:16 PM

I'm looking to pick up a Ruger 10-22 takedown for the pack. I hope to get out more this fall and winter and would like to hit the small game some. I thought the 10-22 TD might make that easier. For giggles I thought I would see if anyone has a 22 or something they pack along for the same reason. 

New Post
9/8/2016 6:34 AM

I bought one of the Henry survival 22's/AR-7. It folds up into the stock, and floats. Great idea on paper, In hindsight the 10-22 would have been a far better buy. The Henry's sights leave a lot to be desired and it's very finicky about what ammo it will feed. Consequently it lives in the safe now instead of the pack.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

New Post
9/8/2016 8:43 AM

I had considered one of those because it seems very packable, but thought it probably wasn't as accurate as I wanted. I'm hoping the Ruger is the right mix.

New Post
9/8/2016 9:42 AM

This has been more on my mind since I have a .22 suppressor in process. I was initially thinking along the same lines as you, but weight and bulk now has me thinking of a Ruger .22/45 lite pistol with a red dot on top. Obviously not as capable as the carbine, and only time will tell if it meets the standard for game getting. I know of at least one guy who uses exactly that setup regularly, but he's most likely a better pistol shot than I am.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/8/2016 12:12 PM

evanhill wrote:
This has been more on my mind since I have a .22 suppressor in process. I was initially thinking along the same lines as you, but weight and bulk now has me thinking of a Ruger .22/45 lite pistol with a red dot on top. Obviously not as capable as the carbine, and only time will tell if it meets the standard for game getting. I know of at least one guy who uses exactly that setup regularly, but he's most likely a better pistol shot than I am.

That sounds like a workable alternative. I have been toying with one of these CMMG drop ins for awhile. Wouldn't take up much room in a pack and give you some options.

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/22lr-ar-conversion-kit-bravo-grey/

New Post
9/8/2016 1:09 PM

I have put plenty of thought into this subject in the past and have done quite a bit of experimenting.  Here are some of my questions, ideas, and opinions.

Will you be running this suppressed?

What are your intended targets? 

What is your comfortable max range on a golf ball or apple sized target?

I have used a suppressed 10/22 with both a RDS and low powered variables a LOT on game.  My current 10/22 set up is running a 1-4x Burris that usually stays at 2.5x magnification.  I have frequently wished I had more magnification on the top end in the field.   I have taken +60lb animals at over 100yd on a few occasions with the RDS but would not recommend it.  The rifle currently has a KIDD trigger and it has been worth every penny.   It is a +75yd prairie dog gun but you need good (match) ammo.

I have used a suppressed MKII Ruger with a RDS a LOT on game.  You can do things with a RDS 22lr pistol that you could not do with an iron sighted 22lr rifle.  If you run a RDS 22lr pistol it needs a better than average trigger to sees its full potential.  I have taken a lot of game out past 40yd with it but you need a 1-2moa dot, good ammo, and a good trigger in my experience.

Add a quality weapon mounted light to either set up and your max effective range at night is not much less than in daylight.  I have taken coyotes at night with the 10/22 at +50yd but again…wouldn’t recommend it.

If I were starting from scratch and I didn’t want to get to high-tech I would run a 10/22 with a tuned trigger and Beyer shrouded barrel to keep the suppressed OAL and weight in check.   If no suppressor I would run a 16” Beyer barrel to keep weight down without losing accuracy.

The Take Down 10/22 sure looks neat, but I will  let others do the BETA testing and hair pulling for me.  I will believe they return to zero 100% after a full season of hard use with one.  YMMV.

If I had more $$$ than brains I would build a 10/22 Charger with PMAC lightweight chassis and Shockwave Blade brace.  KIDD 2-stage trigger.  And a quality optic with 6-8x magnification on the high end.  If I had $$$ left over I would get a ~6” KIDD or Beyer match grade barrel.  Mark White's old pocket rifle concept, with a pistol brace.

I have an old Ceiner 22lr AR conversion that has probably seen +15k rounds through it.  I don’t think I have ever taken a single animal with it.  You are losing quite a bit of accuracy with 22lr AR conversions, not to mention two different zeros going from 5.56 to 22lr. 

That is my take anyway…

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/8/2016 1:14 PM

evanhill wrote:
 I know of at least one guy who uses exactly that setup regularly, but he's most likely a better pistol shot than I am.

And now you've heard directly from that guy...

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/8/2016 5:00 PM

I have an old Ceiner 22lr AR conversion that has probably seen +15k rounds through it.  I don’t think I have ever taken a single animal with it.  You are losing quite a bit of accuracy with 22lr AR conversions, not to mention two different zeros going from 5.56 to 22lr. 

Thanks for the insight! I hadn't talked my self into it yet. A suppressed 22LR pistol has been on the short list for awhile. We have a never ending supply of things harassing the chickens. Hadn't really considered it for this application though. I always thought a MKII with a can was nice, guess I need to go see about one.

New Post
9/8/2016 5:32 PM

A 10-22 TD is a TRUCK gun, IMO.  More weight than I'd consider on foot.  Reduced loads in your trusty 308 carbine (you do have one/several of those) will do anything a 22lr will do. Having said that the PAK Rifle mod for a Chipmunk looks interesting.

New Post
9/8/2016 7:08 PM

I've got a Marlin Papoose that I'm pretty keen on. The previous owner had it drilled and tapped for a Williams Guide aperture sight. I'm loathe to add any weight but as someone who has been recently prescribed bifocals, I'm considering some kind of optic.

I've got a Ruger Mk2 heavy barrel pistol that is quite accurate out to 25 yds too. That actually fits the bill pretty well, since here in Western Washington you can't see farther than 25 yards most of the time. I've thought about throwing an optic on that too.

New Post
9/10/2016 12:56 AM

I'm glad To hear there are others that are messing with this. Ill elaborate a little on my rationale. I've got a muzzleloader deer hunt coming up and a bull elk hunt I'm going on in November. I plan on spending some time scouting for both and I would like to get back to putting a little meat in the pot that didn't have to do with getting drawn for big game. Everything I will be doing for the next few months will be day pack stuff. Either the Ute or Umlindi. I have a Ruger MK II and it shoots great. I'm a fair pistol shot but I'd like a little more accuracy. I though about some of the "survival" rifles out there but accuracy being what it is with them I would be better off with the pistol I have. The 10-22 takedown is heavier and bulkier than the others but should make up for that with better accuracy. With the iron sight on the barrel repeatability is not really an issue, and the weight penalty isn't going to make or break me.

Evan, somewhere in my future is a supressor, but that will be down the road. Even a 22lr pistol is hard on my ears and my hearing has suffered enough the last few years thanks to my job. That is part of the reason I prefer the carbine.

Strow, mostly around here I will be after cottontails. During that bull hunt there may be some squirrels. I'm really only hoping for something to get me out to the 40-50 yard range. I have a little Browning lever 22 that I put countless rounds through when I was a kid. It lives at my dads house right now. It is a sweet shooting little rifle but doesn't break in half. If the 10-22 TD is half as accurate as that little rifle then I should be good out to that 40-50 yard range.

New Post
9/10/2016 3:15 AM

So why bother with added everything for a TD model? I have yet to come up with the scenario where that is necessary? Other than the possible CDI factor.

New Post
9/10/2016 3:01 PM

El mac, sorry I don't know what CDI is. I want to go with the takedown because I think it will stow away easier. I could see a couple sleeves hung from the inside of my Ute, or in the slot pocket of my highlander when the t is on the Ute.

New Post
9/11/2016 8:53 AM

I have no experience with either but here are a couple of ideas I've been considering.

https://www.packrifle.com/

http://rutalocura.com/PRK.html

New Post
9/11/2016 11:12 PM

196RT, I've seen both of this while researching. They both look pretty trick. But after rolling everything around in my pea brain I kept coming back to the Ruger, so I picked one up today. I took it out and put 150-200 rounds through it this afternoon. I had to mess with the sights a little and really should put it on paper, but it shoots better than I do. I came home and rearranged my Ute by puting my Highlander on it and puting some lighter stuff in the Highlander. The rifle breaks down and fits in the slot pocket of the Highlander like it was made to go there. I'm guessing the rifle is in the 3-4 pound range. If I use it then it is worth the weight.

New Post
9/17/2016 8:43 PM

Strow:
Great post. As a follow up, what type of 22 LR ammo are you using in the Ruger Mark II? I too run a Mark II with 5.5 inch heavy barrel and am looking for some advice on a small game round. I am thinking rabbits/grouse etc. Thanks for your input.

New Post
9/18/2016 11:03 AM

...OH I could get pretty deep down a "rabbit hole" with this one!

Again this is just my opinion and what has worked for me to date:

For subsonics my go-to bullet is the CCI Segmented Hollow Point Subsonic (hard to find right now). It kills way out of proportion to the noise and works as advertised. The CCI Subsonic HP is another good option. Remington Subsonics seem to have softer lead and don't penetrate as deep for me but kill well enough. CCI Standard Velocity are GTG but you need to HP or FP them to improve terminal ballistic (explained below).

For supersonics I have had real good luck with the CCI Velocitor. It expands to probably 30 cal and penetrates deep and straight for a 22lr. CCI Minimags open up more but do not penetrate near as deep. The supers kill better than subs...but not by much. If I have to take anything over 40lbs with a 22lr I reach for the Velocitors or get a bigger rifle. The Velocitors have also been very accurate for me.

Another option that may be more fiddling than most want to deal with, but works great for me is the Neil Wartz(sp) 22lr sizing die. It full length resizes the round and either puts a flat point or HP on the bullet depending on the punch used. I use it to turn Eley Target ammo into VERY accurate subsonic HP of FP.

I like about any of the higher end, non-bulk stuff from CCI or Eley. If I were in your shoes with a factory pistol, I would lay in a mess of CCI Subsonics and get to killin stuff.

Hope this makes sense and help.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
10/9/2016 10:01 PM

Strow:
Many thanks for your input. I broke the Ruger Mark II out and confirmed my sight adjustments and did some testing of various types of ammunition. Like most 22 LR weapons, mine has preferences in ammunition that it "likes". One thing that was a pleasant surprise, is that ammunition I modified to the Small Game Bullet profile (i.e.. flattened tip obtained from a Hanned Precision tool)) runs like a charm in this gun with all of its factory magazines. In terms of practice I am using empty 12 gauge shotgun hulls discarded at my range as targets. I keep moving back in five yard increments after successfully engaging several of them.
I am trying to decide if I want to run a low magnification scope (I have an old Bushnell variable 1 to3X) that might fit the bill if I can find an old BSquare "Monoblock" or if I should bite the bullet and have the receiver drilled and tapped, add a segment of picatinny rail and bolt on a small red dot optic. I'll probably carry it in my HPG Kit Bag. Next experiment is to modify some of the CCI Standard velocity ammunition using the Hanned Tool. I'll report back my results.
Thanks again.

New Post
10/10/2016 6:17 PM

For what it is worth, my Ruger Mk2 is freakishly accurate with CCI 36 grain Mini Mags. It is almost as accurate as a friend's much more expensive Smith and Wesson model 41.

New Post
10/13/2016 12:30 AM

Ccombs wrote:

I'm looking to pick up a Ruger 10-22 takedown for the pack. I hope to get out more this fall and winter and would like to hit the small game some. I thought the 10-22 TD might make that easier. For giggles I thought I would see if anyone has a 22 or something they pack along for the same reason. 

I have a 10/22 TD, Ibelieve the TALO Wood Stock model. It's a handy pack gun, and with good ammo runs very well. It might be the handiest rifle I own, and I'd like to pick up another. 

I will admit I do not hike much with it, but instead keep it in it's nylon case in the camper. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...22lr for backpacking22lr for backpacking

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear