Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Anyone use Talon sandpaper grips and use a kit bagAnyone use Talon sandpaper grips and use a kit bag
Previous

Next
New Post
10/20/2016 8:22 AM

Put some Talon sandpaper grip tape on a Glock G3  G20 last night. It has quite a nice grip for my hand, however it also seem to grab hold of the fabric inside my kit bag. Concern is any movement while in the field will slowly eat at the fabric. Has anyone run into this and how did you address. I'll say the grip of a G3 G20 is large but fine for my hands, but sweating with the G3 frame could be slippery if push came to shove. The Talon grip tape went on very nice and feels pretty snug in the hand. Thoughts?....

New Post
10/20/2016 9:31 AM

Straight up, I'm not a Gastonite. However I am required to qualify with one and because I have to teach with one to those that have no choice but to carry one....I stay proficient with one. That said, one of my personal beefs with the Gaston soap bar is the slipperiness of its grip. I use the Talon sandpaper tape on it for that very reason. After trying it out, I began to feel a bit more affection for the thing. Does it snag a bit more on clothes, etc? Yeah. But in my mind, it's well worth the very slight aggravation. It improves my shooting, it strengthens my confidence, so it's worth it. I've tried a buddy's Talon rubberized tape....uh, not so much for me. But you might consider that...just a thought. Neither Talon product is officially "approved" by my employers, however, I officially DGS. It works as advertised, that's all that matters to me.

Also note that Talon advises if you want it to be less grippy or snaggy (are those words?) then you can use a fine grit of sandpaper to knock off a bit of the high points on the tape....that might work for you. But as it is, I'm guessing in the wind here....but I bet it would take a good decade of wear and tear on your kit bag with the Talon to really cause it to wear. And that's if you are really routine about going about with your kit bag.

New Post
10/20/2016 9:39 AM

Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors....I corrected them so hopefully it makes better sense now.

New Post
10/20/2016 11:24 AM

An electric soldering iron will produce a surface superior to any tape.  Practice on a cast off AR grip.  I use skateboard tape on the rear of my G17 because I did a grip reduction on it and the surface is about half epoxy.  IMO, you don't need much if any added grip surface on the flat sides of the grip.

New Post
10/20/2016 11:28 AM

I've only used/tried Talon's rubber grips. Have them on 3 now, and just ordered a set for a S&W compact. Good grip surface without the bulk. No problems drawing from a kit bag, and no wear issues. I'd highly recommend them. All depends on how they feel to you though.

New Post
10/20/2016 11:33 AM

Yes and no.

Soldering iron -
Pro: 1) the soldering iron produces permanent results, mostly

Con: 1) the soldering iron produces permanent results, mostly, reducing the value of the Gaston Block, so when you decide to move up in the world, you - and the future buyer are for the most part stuck with what you did.
2) the soldering iron takes a lot of time to do it correctly and well

Talon tape takes seconds to do, is not permanent, and can be easily replaced..and removed so when you do move up, you can restore the Block to it's original Blockness. and sell it to the next buyer.
Talon tape can be removed for those of us with issued Blocks that occasionally must be turned in, replaced, repaired, etc...so that the agency/department/unit armorers can't beef you.

Lastly, if you go with Talon and don't like it, you can remove it, and pull out the soldering iron and butcher your Block in short order to your own satisfaction or lack thereof.

New Post
10/20/2016 11:37 AM

I don't want to permanently alter the gun. Just wondering about the Talon grip tape affecting the inside of the kit bag and has anyone addressed or had this problem. I may consider removing the sides which is what is going to catch, but if feels so much better in my hand grip wise.

PS..... how much did you take off of your grip!???

New Post
10/20/2016 11:45 AM

El Mac,
agree with you....I don't like the idea of the permanence of the stippling. I like the look and makes sense, it's just an altered permanence. The talon tape truly went on in seconds and then the blow dryer set it great. Love the feel; however, when I put it back in the kit bag it grabs the nylon and doesn't move. Almost like a Velcro connection, which also may slow the draw from the KB. I foresee increased wear on the inside nylon. Better grip if under duress or wear on my kit bag (s). I wonder if HPG has a trade in policy?????? I was just hoping someone else had run this gauntlet before. The ticket may be removing the side grip tape.

New Post
10/20/2016 3:09 PM

Dmaples63 wrote:

PS..... how much did you take off of your grip!???

If you're referring to my grip reduction, I removed the fire-control parts from the stripped frame, filled that void with playdoh, and poured acraglass into the backstrap void.  Next day I taped it and marked 1911's grip angle on it and sanded it to that line.  The only thing that sucks worse than a Glock's grip are Glock factory sights.

New Post
10/20/2016 3:11 PM

Come on TAK, you gotta admit that Block trigger guard is atrocious.

New Post
10/20/2016 4:20 PM

El Mac wrote:
Come on TAK, you gotta admit that Block trigger guard is atrocious.

I undercut the trigger guard with a Dremel a bit, just for comfort.  The square shape is a relic to the ignorant days of yore but is no big thing otherwise.

New Post
10/20/2016 4:27 PM

And yet Gaston in his infinite wisdom, keeps the ugly abeit useless shape...he should be slapped.

New Post
10/20/2016 6:42 PM

El Mac wrote:
And yet Gaston in his infinite wisdom, keeps the ugly abeit useless shape...he should be slapped.

The Gambinos have nothing on Gaston.  As good as his original design was, a LOT of things could have been done with the guns and the line that he wouldn't allow.  It is still the an excellent handgun, and it has no peer for reliability.  YMMV (and I know yours does).

New Post
10/20/2016 6:53 PM

Yes mine does vary, a lot.

That said, Gaston does not listen to anyone. But since we are going there, here are just a few minor things he could have done to make that thing more palatable in no particular order:

*1) Reduce the ridiculous grip angle.
*2) Get rid of the tumor
3) Issue it with a set of steel standard sights
*4) Offer an optional frame mounted thumb safety
5) Steel magazines
6) Get rid of the cross through mag release
7) Lose the stupid trigger guard tumor
*8) Slim/reduce the slide profile
9) Fully support the cases in all guns
10) Lose the stupid butterfly on the trigger
11) Make it so that the trigger does not have to be engaged before disassembly
12) Standard rifling so that lead reloads can be used
13) Call a spade a spade - when the gun needs a recall, call it a recall instead of the PC politspeak: "update"

Of the ones I listed, just off the top of my head, the ones with the asterisk if incorporated, would truly have been a 1911 killer. As it is, it is not. In fact, it is not much of a killer at all. The market is inundated with glock wannabes, trytobes, and glock beaters. There are probably more improvements if I sat down and put my mind to it. But from my POV, these would make a good gun, a great gun.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Anyone use Talon sandpaper grips and use a kit bagAnyone use Talon sandpaper grips and use a kit bag

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear