Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Versatile loading for the suppressed scout rifleVersatile loading for the suppressed scout rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
2/22/2017 1:13 PM

Hey guys, I am fairly new to this forum, but have been around firearms my whole life and in the last 3 years have really gotten into the scout rifle concept. As with all of my firearms, I have been almost exclusively hand loading for my scout rifle. I recently received my tax stamp back (finally!) for my suppressor and have now been playing with the idea of having both standard supersonic loads that will shoot accurately as well as stop game or a threat and subsonic loads that will do the same. I have nailed down a powder and a couple loads so far and I am currently looking at my options for true subsonic expanding bullets. So far I am looking Lehigh Defense's 194 gr expanding round and Maker Bullets 200 gr expander. I will keep you guys updated and post some photos and videos as well. If anyone has anything to add or if they have already done this with their rifle I would love to hear about it!

New Post
2/22/2017 6:40 PM

I got out to the range today with both my supersonic and subsonic loads. Now, I am going to post my load data, however, I would strongly encourage anyone wanting to handload to start with published data first before loading over book max or loading anything with powders that are not published for. That being said, here is the load data for both my supersonic and subsonic loads.

Supersonic load:

165 Hornady Interlock

44.0 Gr Varget

Fed 210 primer

Win. Brass

2.850" COAL

Avg. 2594 FPS

Subsonic:

208 Hornady match

11.0 Gr Trail Boss

Win. Brass

2.850" COAL

Avg. 1007 FPS

Here is a link to a video of both the supersonic and subsonic loads through my suppressor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNX9...

New Post
2/22/2017 7:38 PM

My rifle is a Ruger GSR, 16" barrel, 1:10 twist.

New Post
2/22/2017 7:45 PM

I will post more when I get some expansion data on the subsonic bullets.

New Post
3/19/2017 5:37 PM

Ok, so I have finally locked down a bullet and a load. This load stabilizes out of my 16", 1:10 twist Ruger GSR. If you try this load out of your rifle, I would suggest that you shoot it without any muzzle devices or suppressors first to verify stability and that the round will exit the gun. I chose to go with the Maker Bullets 200gr subsonic expanding REX bullet. I tested a few different loads until I got to the velocity I wanted while being fairly accurate and stable at 100 yards.

Subsonic load:

200 Gr Maker REX

10.5 gr Trail Boss

LC Brass with flash holes drilled out to 9/64"

Federal 210 LR primer

2.850" OAL

Avg 1051 FPS

This load shot extremely well, so I made a block of ballistics gel and moved forward with expansion tests. The Maker Bullet preformed flawlessly, expanding within the first 3-5" of gel and penetrating 15+". This round not only shoots well and expands as promised, it is no louder than a mouse fart when fired through my suppressor. I am verly pleased with the results.

New Post
3/19/2017 7:15 PM

Really cool stuff.  Many thanks for sharing this.  Did you just decide to drill the flash holes or did you have trouble lighting that large of a load of Trail Boss with the stock primer hole?

New Post
3/19/2017 8:21 PM

I honestly drilled the pockets because of some subsonic loading I did with red dot a while back which I had ignition problems without the flash holes being opened. The red dot barely fills the case while the trail boss, being such a high volume powder, fills it a little more than half way. Honestly, you could probably get reliable ignition without drilling and using trail boss. If ignition was a problem with the trail boss you could alternatively use magnum primers.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Versatile loading for the suppressed scout rifleVersatile loading for the suppressed scout rifle

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear