Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereMazamari, Peru Jungle Training August 2016Mazamari, Peru Jungle Training August 2016
Previous

Next
New Post
9/18/2016 2:57 PM

Recently returned back to the jungle in Mazamari for another jungle training iteration.....our third trip there.  Most all of this has been covered during my past posts of the area, but there are still some neat pics among these.  We got quite a bit of rain this trip.

We based out of the Sinchi (means "prepared warrior") training camp in Mazamari.  This highly trained special group from the Peruvian National Police have had a strong relationship with the US, specifically the 7th Special Forces Group, since the 70s.  We are always treated very well there.  

During our only sunny, clear day we saw a pair of wild parrots during our site recce at the small village we camp near in the jungle.

My kit all ready to head in.

Jungle camp was pretty damp most of the time this year.

One of the head Sinchis, Hidalgo, explaining the zipgun style booby-traps that some narcos, cartel people, and Sendero Luminoso leave out to guard their cocaine operations.

Bullet ants and giant wood grubs.  We actually cleaned out the innards of the grub and ate it raw.  Probably would have been better grilled.

During our jungle navigation trek we happened upon an old broken down Land Rover in a small Indian village.  Wonder how many years that's been sitting there!

Jungle road traffic jam...they did not want to move.

After things cleared up, down by the Rio Mazamari.

At the end of our final day in Mazamari, me and a few colleagues conducted an aerial recce of a future HLZ (Helicopter Landing Zone), which we plan to use next year and have a more challenging trek into the jungle camp.

We will land up on an open ridge, and then trek down to the jungle camp, located around the 8 o'clock position in the lower left of the photo.  Should be a pretty cool adventure.

New HLZ area.

Finally, on the way back to Lima in the Andes, I checked out an area I plan to use next year for some mountain-specific training to provide for the folks.  This is at over 15k feet, so folks will definitely need to acclimatize and also probably use Diamox.  This could be a great training venue.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/19/2016 8:58 PM

awesome!

New Post
9/19/2016 9:48 PM

crewhead05 wrote:
awesome!

Thanks!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/20/2016 12:23 PM

Ken,

I couldn't find it previously but i hope you do a write up about your alpenstock sometime.

New Post
9/20/2016 12:54 PM

Granite Stater wrote:
Ken,

I couldn't find it previously but i hope you do a write up about your alpenstock sometime.

Here's the original version I made:

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/...

And the dot-2 version you've seen in recent photos is further down in the same thread.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereMazamari, Peru Jungle Training August 2016Mazamari, Peru Jungle Training August 2016

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear