Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereUTE SAR pack part IIUTE SAR pack part II
Previous

Next
New Post
3/7/2017 10:11 AM

I snapped some pictures while repacking my gear.  

When a call goes out we get gather at the SAR barn, get the description of the situation, then I start dumping the gear that I know I will not need. The SAR trucks have a bunch of supplies in them as well, but this is all the gear that I am ready to carry into the back country as necessary (most of our searching is done from a vehicle)

Being part of the mountain team I have more gear than most. The climbing gear obviously but also the supplies necessary to mark/clear an LZ, stay a night (or more), make a litter, take care of a lost person for a night. 

Here are the bags fully packed. Left to right. HPG UTE, Snowshoe bag, Swiftwater bag (an old humvee jack bag)

Swiftwater kit: Force 6 rescue PFD, helmet, throw bag, 9mm wet suit, NRS boots, wool socks, underclothing, duffel bag

Total layout pic

In my hip belt pouch: Cotton bandanna, cera spot, bug repellent wipes, whistle, bullion cubes (suck on for additional electrolytes) and hotshot drink for cramp prevention (these work very well)

Note: AA and AAA to replace batteries on my headlamp and GPS. I have more in my main pack. All my devices run off of AA or AAA batteries. 

Climbing gear: Helmet, gloves, 3x carabiners, CMC rescue harness, 2x ATCs, 2x mini prusik minding pulleys, 2x prusik ropes

Inside pals pocket: GPS, Flagging, primary and backup headlamps, cordage, SPOT, compass, batteries

CMC rope guide, notebook, loksak neck bag. The loksak is great to put you phone in. If I carry my phone in my pocket while hiking it get extremely wet from sweat

Cover: BCUSA MEST blaze orange, 2x contractor trash bag, SOL bivvy, reflective blanket, mini towel

Water kit:

Fire Kit: tea light candle, 3x trioxane tablets, fatwood, matches, lighter, ferro rod, live fire, uberfire

Med kit:

Clothing: Wool beenie, wool buff, wool gloves, lightweight waterproof mitten shells, synthetic shirt, medium weight insulation shirt, rain coat.

Food, water, TP

Winter Stove: MSR XGK. Summer Stove: Jetboil TI

Not shown: Bullion cubes and jello to heat up and give to search subject, or for self.

Tools: Fiskars X7, Bahco Laplander, TOPS lite trekker, bear spray.

My backup everything kit, all in a ESEE aluminum tin that can be used as a cook pot as well: Mirror, 2x mini compasses, whistle, pencil, pen light, paper, whirlpak bags and water purification tablets, wetfire tabs, German Schokakola.

Thats all for now. 

New Post
3/7/2017 6:59 PM

Thanks Crewhead05. Thank you for taking the time to share your SAR load out with us, and I like your kit. I use the UTE for my SAR pack as well and it works well. I'm going to get me a snowshoe cover and try it, I've never had one. You have a very well thought out Kit. (SAR kit seems to change all the time).

New Post
3/8/2017 6:39 AM

Nice load-out!  Very well thought out and purpose built.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/8/2017 5:50 PM

Thanks for sharing. Love seeing how you set yours up.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereUTE SAR pack part IIUTE SAR pack part II

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear