Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereSummer Gathering 2016 - June 24-26th - Location to TBDSummer Gathering 2016 - June 24-26th - Location to TBD
Previous

Next
New Post
5/3/2016 11:06 AM

Our summer gathering is fast approaching and again, I should have started this a bit sooner.  We are discussing having it near Buffalo Peak to give folks from the front range a bit more access, but with our schedules I am not sure when we will get over there to finalize a place.  Of course we can have it in the same location as the last two years.  Any thoughts?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/31/2016 4:40 PM

I like the locale of the first two years. It's got a nice open spot with plenty of space for cars/camps. I'm not familiar with Buffalo Peak, but I'm sure it's lovely.

New Post
5/31/2016 7:59 PM

Been on the Front Range for 16 years and sad to say, haven't been to the Lost Creek Wilderness/Kenosha Peaks yet. Get in a rut with all the fun local stuff.

http://www.summitpost.org/buffalo-peak-the-wigwam/153798

It looks pretty amazing. Snow situation could be interesting (RMNP Trail Ridge Road just opened up)

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/4/2016 11:22 AM

Buffalo Peak looks great. Looks like it's near or in a wilderness are which could be nice too.

Only complaints about last year was the mosquitoes, but that's just being picky.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/6/2016 7:13 AM

We just haven't had time to get over to Buffalo Peak and won't before the event. I spent 12 hours Saturday scouting country and at this point we have narrowed it down to one of two spots. First is the same spot as last year, because it is very hard to beat. The other one is maybe easier to get to for those coming from the east, but we have to figure that out.

Classes this year will be on land nav and homeostasis. Land nav will be a 2 part class time on Friday afternoon/evening and a Saturday morning hike/field time. Brink a compass and map of the area if you have them. This will be old school leave the GPS at home style land nav.

Homeostasis will probably be a before dinner thing on Saturday.

I am lookign forward to seeing everyone.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
6/6/2016 8:38 PM

Scot, I was about to tell you to send me location of the new spot you were scouting and I'd go check it out from the east side, then I looked at my schedule and realized I'm all booked up from now until the event. Well... I might actually be able to head out the afternoon of the 18th after work and stay the night on site. Don't know the drive time but it's an option. Let me know if that would be helpful.

But the class lineup sounds great and I'm excited to get out and see everyone again!

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/14/2016 6:10 PM

Location is the same as previous years. Unlike previous years, we have a good turn by turn with pictures document to get you there. You can download that here.

We were just up there today and claimed the spot with our camp trailer (not that the spot has ever been contested). It was nice and cool with deer all over the place.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/14/2016 8:37 PM

Awesome! We'll see you in 10 days.

Not all those who wander are lost - JRRT

New Post
6/21/2016 11:40 PM

Any clue when you'll start Friday evenings class?

I've got to work until noon but I'll be harnessing my inner Parnelli Jones to get out there as soon as I'm off.

New Post
6/22/2016 7:57 AM

We will be playing it by ear, but most likely soon after dinner time so folks have time to get there and get setup first. If most folks aren't there, Nick will do a refresher or the full class on Saturday. The main idea behind splitting it is so more time can be spent Saturday morning doing before it gets hot.

Folks if you are planning on coming please give us a heads up somehow.

New Post
6/22/2016 9:56 AM

Hey, all! Right now it looks like I'll be able to come out, though I'm not sure when I'll be leaving the front range on Friday. My wife probably won't be able to make it, so it's likely to be me, two boys, and a couple of dogs. (We can tie a dynamo to Charlie and generate our own electricity as she spins in circles. ;)

Looking forward to it!

New Post
6/22/2016 9:33 PM

Sorry we're going to miss you guys, but the Missus and I will be scouting Lost Creek WIlderness for you this weekend  ;)

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/29/2016 1:47 PM

Here's the trip video:

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereSummer Gathering 2016 - June 24-26th - Location to TBDSummer Gathering 2016 - June 24-26th - Location to TBD

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear