Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereRotavi Game Reserve, South Africa 2016Rotavi Game Reserve, South Africa 2016
Previous

Next
New Post
9/18/2016 5:44 PM

My second trip to the South African Bushveld was once again a great adventure.  It was VERY dry this year...and hot in the daytime.  Many of the animals didn't want to move far from water sources.  We still managed to see some critters, and I also got some good shots of the sable.  At night in our bush campsite, it dropped down into the 40s....plenty chilly.  Our trek into the camp ended up being close to 10k through rough bush and over a mountain to then dogleg into our objective.  A much more challenging movement than last year...but everybody did great.  Here are a bunch of photos from this most recent foray into the bush.

Our lodging at Rotavi...Ou Kraal (the "Old Corral" in Afrikaans).  I like this place a lot.

Anton giving a short class on the gear he likes to carry in the bush during anti-poaching ops.  Of course, there is an awful lot of HPG kit among it!

I gave a vehicle recovery class, which included a new improvised technique that Anton explained...called a Flip-Flop winch.  Essentially, you use two long, sturdy poles with the recovery strap or rope fed between the two.  One end goes to the stuck vehicle, and the other to a strong anchor.  The poles are then "flip-flopped" back and forth to wind in slack and move the vehicle out of the stuck situation.  It's an old bush technique.  Simple, but it works.  I want to try this out again someday.

Having our students practice setting different ground to air emergency signals.

One of our intrepid Toyota Land Cruiser Safari rigs.  Pretty cool trucks.

Cape buffalo bull, and also one taking a bath 

Big ol' croc in another waterhole not far from our bush campsite.

Warthogs at the same waterhole as the buffalo.

Eland on the move behind the warthogs.

Closer shot of the eland.  They are huge beasts...about as big as our moose.  Tasty biltong (the South African version of jerky) is often made from these and kudu.

Bushbuck.

The elusive sable.  Quite an impressive rack!

At a nice overlook near a hunting campsite, just before sunset.

Sunset on the Bushveld.

Baboon track...hind foot I believe.

Hyena tracks and scat.

Early during our bush navigation trek into our campsite.  Umlindi Go-Bags fully packed for the journey.

Me, my Unit Chief Mark, and Anton during the bush nav trek.

Upon arrival at our bush campsite, the first order of business was to make sure we got our tents up before we became too relaxed after the tough hike.  My Six Moons Lunar Solo did great (the one with the chemlight hanging inside).  Plus, gathering plenty of firewood to keep it stoked through the night along with a guard....a must when predators are about.  Then....chow time and socilaizing.

Acacia thorns are ruthless.  They can strike at any moment.  This is why Crocs aren't the best footwear around camp in Africa.  Mark's foot got it good.  My forearm took a hit, as well.

I had a couple days back at the hotel in Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport before I returned to the USA.  Had to reorganize and clean up some gear before packing it up for the return journey.  I saw all manner of strange things while walking through the airport mall area for meals and a bit of gift shopping.  Wonder what would happen if folks decided to walk around in a US airport with long sticks?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/19/2016 9:32 AM

Thanks for sharing Ken. That looks like it was a great adventure.

New Post
9/19/2016 2:38 PM

Bulwyf wrote:
Thanks for sharing Ken. That looks like it was a great adventure.

Thanks!  Folks that are attracted to HPG often are the same folks who enjoy the wild places of this world...away from the cities and ever-spreading urban sprawl.  Wherever we can find it, it's good to get "Out There" as much as we can while it's still there.  Good for the soul.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/19/2016 5:37 PM

Very nice! Got that sable this time.

New Post
9/19/2016 5:38 PM

OldFart wrote:
Very nice! Got that sable this time.

Yessir!!

New Post
9/19/2016 9:56 PM

Great pictures, thank you for posting them.

New Post
9/19/2016 10:50 PM

crewhead05 wrote:
Great pictures, thank you for posting them.

You bet!

New Post
10/14/2016 9:33 AM

Love the animal pictures!

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereRotavi Game Reserve, South Africa 2016Rotavi Game Reserve, South Africa 2016

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear