Hill People Gear | Real Use Gear For Backcountry Travelers
888.464.1875 | info@hillpeoplegear.com Register | Login
Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereFishing Dale Hollow Lake, TNFishing Dale Hollow Lake, TN
Previous

Next
New Post
10/20/2016 5:54 PM

Short little outting this past weekend. My wife's parents and grandparents were RVing at Dale Hollow Lake, and we joined them Saturday/Sunday. Our son (who's almost two) stayed in my in-laws RV, while my wife and I got a separate campsite and did some old fashioned car camping. 

Saturday was mostly spent lying around - the weather was high 70s, slightly breezy, and sunny. Here's the view of the lake from the campsite. Water level is obviously down, so I don't know what they're doing with the dam. 

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_1450.jpg.html]
[/URL]

This is my son, E, doing two of his favorite things: eating cheeseballs and driving my car. 

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_1448-1.jpg.html]
[/URL]

On Sunday, we had the chance to do a little fishing. I caught two fish, and my wife, her dad, and her granddad each caught one. My fish was huge! Quite possibly the biggest fish caught out of the lake. See picture below for evidence of the massiveness of this fish - this aint no fish tale!

[URL=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/jkartzinel/media/IMG_1456.jpg.html]
[/URL]

There was some argument what he was - granddad said shellcracker, FiL said brim (which I know as bluegill), but I'm pretty sure he was a green sunfish. The mouth was pretty tiny so it might have been a bluegill, but I guess it'll be a mystery. Whatever they were, they loved those nightcrawlers. I can't tell you how exciting I was catching the fish. Yeah, its not a 10lb bass, but after August's strike out fly fishing, I was stoked to catch something. (And no, I'm not some weird misshapen caricature monster - the picture is at a really odd angle.)

Although no pictures, HPG did make an appearance on this trip, and the Umlindi carried 90% of our camping stuff, and then doubled as fishing tote. Walking to the fishing spot was about a half mile, and I discovered the Umlindi wand pockets work great at holding fishing rods, and the main compartment is perfect for holding a couple water bottles, wallets/phones/IDs/purses, and my tackle box. Really handy, really easy to carry everything comfortably. (I still want to pick up a kit bag to use as a chest-mounted tackle box for fly fishing, but that might have to wait until next year.)

Anyways, it was a great time and a nice relaxing weekend. 

- J 

New Post
10/21/2016 8:17 AM

Next time you catch a mess of smallish bluegill like that, put 'em in a bubble bucket, get some milk jugs, tie about a 3-4 ft of 25lb Trilene Big Game with a Kahle hook, and hook those bream under the dorsal fin and toss 'em into the lake in a creek arm where the wind will blow them into the arm so you won't loose them.  Putting a chem light into each milk jug.  No telling what you'll catch by morning, mostly catfish but you never know.  That Dale Hollow looks quite low.

New Post
10/21/2016 7:33 PM

TAK - thanks for the suggestion. It kinda sounds like a set up to catch some gigantic crawdads. I'll have to try it out next time. - J

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereFishing Dale Hollow Lake, TNFishing Dale Hollow Lake, TN

Edward Curtis Canyon De Chelly
When humans first set foot in a new continent, they came in small groups under their own power, bringing only the gear they needed. Most simply called themselves The People. Over time, those who chose the rougher freer life of the up country came to think of themselves as the Hill People.
Hill People Gear