This course is designed to get first time backpackers up to speed on basic backcountry travel skills. It consists of an online learning component leading up to the event, 1 night camping and coursework at the trailhead, and 1 night out on the trail before returning to the trailhead.
- Class is limited to 6 students
- Shuttle to and from airport is a possibility. Email ahead of time to work out details.
- Noon or a little thereafter arrival in trailhead camp. Lunch provided.
- Early departure from trailhead next morning, breakfast provided.
- Instructor is Evan Hill
- Some loaner gear is available as necessary - arrange ahead of time
- Video - Natural Pace
- Video - Intro to Land Navigation
- Video / Supplementary reading - gear selection
- Supplementary reading - footwear
- Video - physical conditioning / preparing for altitude / self monitoring
- Video - food and cooking
- Student Response - completed personal packing list
Hands on Curriculum:
- In trailhead camp - Gear shakedown
- In trailhead camp - Basic map / compass / gps
- In trailhead camp - Introduction to Leave No Trace / ethical impact
- On trail - Hands on land navigation
- On trail - Route selection and efficient movement
- On trail - Off trail travel
- On trail - Animal awareness (tracks and scat, travel ways, resource usage, cycles, observation)
- On trail and in Trail camp - Hands on ethical impact
- Trail camp - Site selection
- Trail camp - Animal observation
We will return to the trailhead area by mid-day on Sunday. Please email email@example.com with any questions or logistical inquiries.