Umlindi means "watchman", "guardian", or "caretaker" in Zulu. As we neared completion on the design of this pack, we were approached by a South African who is standing up a rhino poaching interdiction unit. The effort is entirely SA based and involves locals with both military and LE backgrounds.You can read more about it here.
The "Lindi" is an exercise in making the largest pack practical for use without lifter straps. It carries very well with just the shoulder harness it comes with and carries even better as a large lumbar pack with the addition of the optional Recon Belt.
* use the coupon code "rbwithpack" to get a $10 discount on a Recon Belt when purchased with this pack *
The Umlindi has the following features:
- 500d Cordura Construction
- Velcro opening lumbar pad for use with a Prairie Belt
- removable plastic framesheet in slot pocket with a single stay channel and 7075 stay
- Ute style pulley compression system
- large dual wand pockets. big enough for a USGI 1qt with canteen cup on it.
- 3 reinforced hang tabs inside of pack on suspension side
- hose port
- half depth slot pocket inside of pack on back side
- bottom compression straps
- single top compression strap
- parachute cord tool loop in back center
- accepts a number of accessories (see sidebar at right)
- use coupon code "lindibelt" for $20 off of a Prairie Belt when purchased with an Umlindi
Piotr Ma's independent review of the Umlindi on Motusworld
What do folks put in their Umlindi?
Umlindi as "Go-Bag" (USDOJ package)