Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralJungle Belt KitJungle Belt Kit
Previous

Next
New Post
4/25/2016 9:49 AM

Hey Stewart -

Thanks for showing us your pretty sweet belt kit. My prairie belt just arrived today, so I'm excited to start setting up a belt kit and perfecting it. Its totally true that everyone's kit is perfected for them, but one of the things I love about seeing other people's kits is getting introduced to their thought processes, their experiences, and quite often gear from companies I haven't seen before.

Which brings me to my question: how did you modify your hard pouch to be waterproof? I thought that was a great idea, and think I'd like to include something similar on my kit. Although I'm not in the rain forests of Bolivia any more, I am in the often-wet South East of the US, and that seems like a fantastic way to keep some water-sensitive items in something more proof than a flapped double mag pouch.

Thanks again for showing off your kit and your ideas!

- J

New Post
5/4/2016 3:56 PM

Thanks for all the great info, Stewart. I have been wanting to build a jungle shelter here in the swamp near a hunting area.

New Post
5/11/2016 8:28 AM

GoKartz wrote:
 how did you modify your hard pouch to be waterproof? 

Sorry for the delay in replying to this, I use neopreane foam sheets of the type sold by stationery and art suppliers, cut to shape to form a gasket in the lid:

It wont withstand more than a brief period of submersion, but it works for swimming across rivers.

If you are using the tactical tailor boxes, as I am, you will also need to seal the press stud hole and around the rivits with a little epoxy.

New Post
5/14/2016 10:41 AM

Hey Stewart, such a great thread - thank you for taking the time to post pics and info... Would love to see your load out of the Ute if/when you ever have the time or inclination to do a write up.

New Post
5/15/2016 8:57 AM

Mike Lima wrote:
Hey Stewart, such a great thread - thank you for taking the time to post pics and info... Would love to see your load out of the Ute if/when you ever have the time or inclination to do a write up.

Thanks, I hope to have some free time in August to follow this up with a Ute jungle load out article.

New Post
6/30/2017 3:56 PM

Good stuff, thanks!

I have a similar setup that has seen a little jungle time, but nothing like your experience. I've been reworking my kit for the past few months, and I'd love to hear more about your use of the "mess kit". It seems like a redundant container to me (as your HC setup will do everything but hold a camera:-). How do you prefer to use it? How does it integrate with the rest of your kit?

BTW,  is there an insole you prefer to use with the Rocky boots?  My only recent experience with aftermarket insoles is the Superfeet.  I don't use them anymore, and really have no idea if they will retain water or not.

Thanks very much!

New Post
7/4/2017 10:36 PM

Hi Stewart, thanks for posting your jungle belt set up. That's one of the most well thought out combinations that I have seen. I had the privaledge of spending some time in the jungle out in Saba and Sarawak while visiting Malaysia for work several years ago. I have to agree, the jungle is amazing. I hope to return one day to see it in the ways that you have. Great article and photos. Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures of your kit and camp.

Be safe out there! Simple mistakes are amplified greatly in the wilderness! Prepare for the worst, enjoy the adventure!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralJungle Belt KitJungle Belt Kit