Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMaxpedition Pygmy Falcon or HPG Tara?Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon or HPG Tara?
Previous

Next
New Post
2/27/2018 5:55 AM

Hello,  I am wondering if anyone has/ had both of these and care to tell the pros and cons of both?

Im looking for a small day pack and have it narrowed down to these.

New Post
2/27/2018 7:25 AM

Tara, hands down.

The Tara has a way better shoulder harness system than what Maxped offers.

And while it's a personal pref thing, I much prefer the clean and simple look of the Tara over the "tactical" looking Maxped pack. Even without being covered in Molle, the Tara still offers a fair bit of modularity and flexibility for expansion. It's a great pack that will serve you long time. 

New Post
2/27/2018 6:26 PM

Thanks for the response. After looking around the packs some more I would like to throw the Conner pack in the mix. It’s alittle bigger but I think it would workout as well. 

Any tara vs Conner thoughts? Also, side by side pics?

New Post
2/27/2018 9:57 PM

That will depend on your intended use? what you're planning to carry. If you edc a laptop you will need a connor. The connor also is a better platform  for organization if you're into that. The tara is a great small daypack, you can increase it's organizing abillity with the tara insert. Both are very well made and backed up by HPG. 

I have both, my tara is used every day for about two years now. I have two tara inserts one set up for outdoor stuff and the other for work.  I keep the insert in the slot pocket, lunch and a rain jacket or fleece in the main body. Then a hydroflask in the external pocket. My connor is outdoors only.

New Post
2/28/2018 1:11 AM

Personally, I feel like unless you're minimalist, go with the Connor. I tried a Tara for a year, and just couldn't get everything i wanted into it. Of course, it depends on what your day to day is. I carry a laptop every day, sometimes two laptops. That, plus other gear, accessories had the Tara pushing more than it was meant for.

You won't beat the HPG shoulder harness. The comfort is why I sold all of my Kifaru packs.

New Post
2/28/2018 2:33 AM

Perhaps I was asking too much of a small pack and the Conner is the way to go. This is strictly a woods pack and I usually play pack mule for my kids when we go on day hikes.
I hate hiking with overloaded packs all the time so I’m saving for the Conner pack.
Thanks for replies.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralMaxpedition Pygmy Falcon or HPG Tara?Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon or HPG Tara?