Previous

Next
New Post
6/8/2016 9:46 PM

I'm liking that Baryonyx dealio....

New Post
6/8/2016 10:06 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:

I'm thinking about getting the head Cerracoated before I haft it.

Just be aware that any coatings will prevent your ability to find potential cracks down the road. If it's a quality head it's unlikely that any will appear, but when I was in the fire fighting academy they insisted that any coatings be removed for just that reason. I haven't used a cerracoated axe ever but I also find uncoated ones tend to glide through wood easier. Especially the epoxy coatings tend to be grabby.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/8/2016 10:31 PM

That Baryonyx looks like it's be a fair bit more useful than my CRKT Kangee t-hawk, but way less "tacti-cool". Just might have to pick one up to have a useful portable axe.

Also the new CRKT woods t-hawks don't look too shabby, the Chogan is probably the most useful. Anyone have any feedback on these?

http://www.crkt.com/woods-chogan-thawk-axe-2730

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
6/9/2016 6:52 AM

steamboatsystema wrote:
Take-a-knee wrote:

I'm thinking about getting the head Cerracoated before I haft it.

. I haven't used a cerracoated axe ever but I also find uncoated ones tend to glide through wood easier. Especially the epoxy coatings tend to be grabby.

Interesting observation.  The MARSOC guys I've talked to say that those cerracoted Colt 1911's they're issued have "sticky" slides.  Hard chrome would be another option but probably not worth the expense.

New Post
6/9/2016 8:34 AM

steamboatsystema wrote:
That Baryonyx looks like it's be a fair bit more useful than my CRKT Kangee t-hawk, but way less "tacti-cool". Just might have to pick one up to have a useful portable axe.

Also the new CRKT woods t-hawks don't look too shabby, the Chogan is probably the most useful. Anyone have any feedback on these?

http://www.crkt.com/woods-chogan-thawk-axe-2730

Per the Rolling Stones: "Paint it black."

New Post
6/11/2016 1:56 PM

chorpie wrote:
Benjamin, the owner of Baryonyx Knives is a super friendly and helpful guy, and pretty responsive via email as well. In case you had any questions...

+1 on Baryonix. Bought a couple of Svords (NZ manufacturer) including a machete that he convexed for a very reasonable charge.

"Law is error, you see. It's an attempt to write down a lot of things that everyone ought to know anyway" ~~~ Freeman ibn Solomon - The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway)

New Post
6/11/2016 3:11 PM

The only problem with the Baryonyx axe/tomahawk is the handle.  It's too squared and kinda awkwardish to use for long unless you modify it.  If it were roundish like regular tomahawk handles, this would be my top pick for sure.  Someone should do one like this, with the rounded handles.....

New Post
6/12/2016 5:39 AM

You might also look at Toronto Blacksmith. With the exchange rate you can get a custom piece and support a small time maker for less than a GB or Wetterlings in many cases.

The Council Woodcraft series also looks nice to my eyes.

New Post
6/19/2016 7:24 PM

I bought a Council Tool Velvicut Hudson Bay 24" axe, and couldn't be happier. US made, great steel and a time tested design.

New Post
8/30/2016 5:41 AM

I've had some pretty cool axes from Gransfors, Hutafors, Roselli. For a backpack carry and around the camp use I've found my Hultafors Classic Trekking Axe to be just perfect. I think it's known in US as Hults Bruk 'Almike' hatchet. It's the same axe / company.

New Post
4/14/2018 11:18 AM

I have the same ax https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-felling-axe/ I used it to destroy dead and dried trees, and he did a good job of it. He has great power, I took a tree with a diameter of 6 inches, not so much time, this line of Fiskar is also quite cheap, and both can be for $ 50- $ 60 together.

New Post
Yesterday @ 8:58 PM

I use a gerber branded fiskars hatchet I've had since I was about 14. But I really want to try Rinaldi out. Full size axes with friction fit heads like a tomahawk or mattock. Baryonyx has them on his site too. Don't think they come with sheaths though.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralCamp axe/pack axeCamp axe/pack axe