Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTipis, Tents, Tarps, and trailers (2018)???Tipis, Tents, Tarps, and trailers (2018)???
Previous

Next
New Post
2/14/2018 1:39 PM

Thanks for the tips! Adding a pullout to the backside is a good call. 

New Post
2/23/2018 7:29 PM

I have 2 setups.

The "me" setup: my Landcruiser is always setup ready for hunting, the seats fold down and I have a platform for sleeping. Super comfy. This is my go to setup as I'm in the field 50 days a year.

The family setup:
21 foot Jayco Jayflight loaded and ready to go - just need the food box and daypacks (and my discrete guitar case (long gun) and my guitar. I even knocked out part of my side yard wall to access my main sewer vent so I can dump at home...or put the in-laws there when they visit. I pull that with a Touareg TDI

New Post
2/24/2018 12:55 PM

For those of you with trailers, how are you storing them?
I think we'll probably wind up with a small travel trailer at some point. My concern is keeping it from getting ate up by the six months of rain we get here every year. So I'll need some kind of cover, or shelter for it. The RV covers look like a giant pain, so I'm going to have to contrive some kind of overhead shelter that will stand up to our wind loads here.

New Post
2/25/2018 4:06 PM

Unfortunately, I have to store mine at my sister's pasture and under trees which are a real pain when it comes to sap and general dirt. I've normally avoided covers because besides being a pain, they can scuff the finish if the wind whips them much. Covers must be the breathable sort if you want to avoid moisture problems inside the camper. If you can put up some sort of permanent structure to store it in/under, you can greatly increase its lifetime. That was a virtue to my pop ups, they went right in the garage. Might be able to manage that with the pop up truck camper eventually, but need a dolly, some space and repairs to the driveway. I can dream.

New Post
2/26/2018 7:34 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I had no idea the rear seat would come out that easily. I'm going to get in there with a measuring tape and see what I can do. I could get out more often with a set up like that.

I'm planning on getting a Suburban when I retire in a couple years. I want to build a sleeping platform that can store gear underneath. I've lived in Ohio all my life and plan on seeing more of the US, especially the West.

New Post
11/26/2018 2:27 PM

Reviving a bit of an old thread here...

Evan with a few more miles under the 18/21' trailer is there anything you would do different? Do you ever wish you had went up or down in size?

How much more of a hassle would moving up to a 22/26' length trailer be? Is it all pretty "linear" or is there a break-over point of hassles/length?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
11/26/2018 5:30 PM

Without testing various size permutations I don't know. I can tell you this - every time I level the trailer in a jiff, I'm happy it's a single axle. every time I maneuver it into a tight spot, I'm happy it's a single axle. I think if you go up in size much more it has to be a double axle.

I really should solve the water situation... I could use either a bigger fresh tank or a dedicated transfer tank. Haven't yet measured what I could get in there, but I know there are a whole bunch of different sized and shaped tanks that would probably let me shoehorn in another 10 gallons. On the other hand, if I go the transfer tank route, I have an easier way to know when certain things need to happen. Kind of like the reserve on a motorcycle.

I've also used the trailer a couple of times now with the little dinette collapsed to sleep 1-2 more kids. That's actually working out better than expected. And for sleeping 7, my plan is actually to carry a mattress in the trailer that gets thrown in the back of the Ford Expedition at night. Have yet to test that theory but I think it's going to work out OK -- and put us ahead of where we'd be with a trailer that actually slept 7. That's a big jump in size.

Ran out to Oregon and back this fall over a long weekend for Superbadger's wedding. It eats through the gas, but it doesn't hurt my feelings to have a trailer I can run down the road at 75mph with and feel under complete control. On the first night when we were just going for distance it was nice not to worry about finding a place to sleep. Pulled over into the empty lot of a closed visitor's center and called it a night. All of that argues for smaller.

One cold weather mod I'm considering -- I've learned that in sub-freezing temps even with the heater running the line to the sink that runs underneath will freeze but the toilet line is just fine because it's a straight shot at knee level through an interior wall. I'd like to install a shut off valve so that only the toilet is functional in cold temps. I always carry a backup 5 gallon jug in the shower anyway. In cold temps that's fine for drinking water.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/27/2018 8:40 AM

Evan, thank you for the input!

How many gallon is your fresh water tank? How many gallons would you prefer?

Is there anyway to freeze proof or insulate the sink line?

Did you say you upgraded to the lager fullsize (60"x80") queen mattress instead of the "camper queen (60"x74")?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
11/27/2018 7:15 PM

Some trailers are made to be "four season". What that really means can vary with the manufacturer/model, but in general it means that there is an insulated and heated underbelly to the camper. Check out Nash or OutdoorsRV for true four season models.

What has generally been my limiting factor is the gray water if you're not in a spot where you can drain it. Our current trailer has really small tanks -- I think 17/15/15. It's easy for me to carry additional water or have tanks that can be filled or used to refill the tank, but adding more water only works if you can get rid of the used water. Previous campers have been more in the 34/30/30 range. Some of the four season models I referenced offer double that capacity, even in shorter trailers. Comes with a weight penalty though, especially if you drive with a full tank.

New Post
11/29/2018 12:09 PM

I expect I could insulate the line, but I like KISS. Keeping the toilet supply warm will be easy and also cuts back on the complexity of the blow out procedure I go through after every winter trip. Unless you're using it continuously, you'd still have to blow out a 4 season trailer.

On the tanks, it's 27/30/30. In practice with 4 of us and 2-3 showering daily, fresh needs re-filling nearly every day, grey needs a daily dump, black needs a dump every other day. If I had a 40 gallon tank, it would match the refill interval with the black interval and for no shower camping somewhere that we also have access to an outside bathroom it would really expand longevity.

I kept with the camper queen size (I'm only 5'11"), but replaced the mattress. Be aware that you will be replacing *all* of the mattresses on any camper you get if you want them to have any comfort to them.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTipis, Tents, Tarps, and trailers (2018)???Tipis, Tents, Tarps, and trailers (2018)???