Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPortable Phone ChargerPortable Phone Charger
Previous

Next
New Post
7/9/2017 7:38 AM

Heading out on a 2 week wilderness excursion. Keeping gear to a minimum and am going to use the camera on my phone. There will be no service so my phone will be on airplane mode, but will still need to occasionally charge the battery. Any recommendations for a good portable charger?

Thanks

New Post
7/9/2017 9:10 AM

Anker makes some good ones. Are you talking about a spare battery pack or a solar charger? Either way they make some good ones that are also affordable.

New Post
7/9/2017 9:12 AM

You might also look into the battey packs from Goal Zero.  Those work well as long as you charge them up before the journey.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/9/2017 11:29 AM

CollinAshmore wrote:
Anker makes some good ones. Are you talking about a spare battery pack or a solar charger? Either way they make some good ones that are also affordable.

Not sure what I'm talking about, Collin. My nephew told me there are chargers that you charge before leaving home and they are good then to charge your phone 3 or 4 times. The way I understood him is I would just plug my phone into the portable charger.

New Post
7/9/2017 11:29 AM

alpendrms wrote:

You might also look into the battey packs from Goal Zero.  Those work well as long as you charge them up before the journey.

Thank you, alpendrms. I will check them out.

New Post
7/9/2017 3:28 PM

Ok, I'm with you now. I thought you might have meant a solar charger like these: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-solar-charger

But you want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Double-Speed-Recharging/dp/B01JIWQPMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499635463&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=anker+portable+charger&psc=1

I have two of their smaller models and like them a lot. They hold a charge well. The bigger one (I have an older version around 12000mah) is not very big, but it's not super light either, but I don't think any batteries are. I don't mean to give the wrong impression. It's not heavy...just don't expect something feather weight.

At any rate, if you google your model of phone and the battery you can find out how many mAh it is, and then divide that into the battery charger mAh, and it will give you roughly how many charges the battery charger will provide. So say the battery charger is 26000 and your phone battery is 5000 mAh, you would get roughly 5 chargers from it.

New Post
7/9/2017 6:41 PM

Great info, Collin. Thanks!

New Post
7/9/2017 11:18 PM

I have many Anker products, they're all well built and work flawlessly. They have a 12W foldable solar panel that works pretty well. You can't go wrong with a 20,000 mAh battery from them though, and their batteries will shut off charging when your device hits 100% so it's not constantly draining.

New Post
7/10/2017 11:50 AM

Thanks, chorpie.
Curious as to why people choose a solar panel over a battery for recharging. I'm new to all this and don't know any of the pros and cons.

New Post
7/10/2017 11:58 AM

A battery is going to charge much faster. You should likely get 2-3 full charges off of a 20,000mAh battery. I think the solar panel charged my phone from 40% to something like 90 in a few hours (?) in full sun, but I didn't really time it, I just let it sit on the table so take that with a grain of salt

New Post
7/10/2017 11:58 AM

I've had goodluck with all my anker products, good price and they hold a charge. I was pretty disappointed with the Dark Energy charger.

I use a battery pack simply because I am lazy and don't want to mess with a solar panel in the back-country. I like that I can charge the battery pack up at home and then simply use it on the trail.

New Post
7/10/2017 12:06 PM

Good info. Thanks to both of you for sharing.

New Post
7/10/2017 12:11 PM

Here's a side by side size comparison:

12oz. weight for the 20,000mAh battery back and a usb cable (you can find shorter ones)

1lb.8.4oz. weight for the solar charger

Solar panel open

The solar panel has grommets for hanging on your pack or wherever, and inside the pouch of the flap is a spot where you plug in a usb cable to charge your device from. Your phone would fit in that pouch also.

Really though, if you're traveling for just a few days, you can't beat the battery pack. And a phone in airplane mode lasts a really long time on one charge.

New Post
7/10/2017 12:18 PM

Thanks, chorpie. Gives me a much clearer picture (literally and figuratively). For my uses I think I've made the right choice to go with the battery pack.

New Post
7/10/2017 4:28 PM

It's a weight equation -- For a 5 day trip, a battery charger weighs less than a solar charger. For a 10 day trip, it's probably a wash weight wise. Longer than that, the solar charger weighs less. But solar is, honestly, kind of an unreliable PITA. You will need hours a day when the panel is placed in a static sunny location (like a basecamp) to really get much from it. Lashed on top of a canoe, maybe. Lashed to the back of a pack, no dice. I tested that. You might also enjoy the following thread - that phone is way more than a camera:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/foru...767/scope/posts

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/10/2017 4:43 PM

Thanks for the link, Evan. I had already started digesting that thread and formulating questions. My trouble is I am at such a novice status tech-wise I don't even know where to begin with questions. I do know though that those are capabilities I am definitely interested in taking advantage of.

New Post
7/12/2017 3:08 PM

my iPhone 6 will typically last 3-ish days in the backcountry using it as a gps (gaiagps) and photo taking, because it is my gps I will typically carry a recharger. I've been using a Black Diamond Ember, it offers 2600 mAh which gives me a full charge and roughly another half (I've tested this a couple of different times) AND a 150 lumen flashlight if my headlamp were to give out.

Just another option to explore.

New Post
7/12/2017 9:39 PM

Thanks for the input, mtwarden. Please explain to me exactly what you mean by using your phone "as a gps (gaiagps)." I'm new to all of this.
Thanks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralPortable Phone ChargerPortable Phone Charger